Spore-tacular Shenanigans

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

FreoJJ

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Nice work Orb I too have been looking into this and watching heaps on YouTube. I will be giving it a go 👍😜

Reactions: Orb

Hudo

Baked
User ID
dunno Hudo, I only mist it with a small gentle spray, with more on misting the inside of the bag

doesn’t seem to stop shrooms growing when the condensation rolls down the towards the edges but I’m wondering if the fluff I’m seeing especially on the left below is mould

this is flush #3, it’s almost weekly. thinking I might dunk it next time and giving it a spray of the hydrogen peroxide in the meantime cause I stopped after two sprays last time

View attachment 44401
My second flushes almost always get taken over by mold so this could be a game changer

Reactions: Orb

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Can you still eat the shrooms if mould starts to grow with them or does it all go into compost.
If they had mould growing on them I wouldn’t. But if its just on the medium then it’s ok. Also depends on how you’re eating them. I like making teas from fresh shrooms. So I wash them before chopping and putting into a tea pot.

If you were drying them I wouldn’t use mouldy ones. I had dried my last batch but they must not have been fully dry and they went mouldy in the jar 😢

Hudo

Baked
User ID
If they had mould growing on them I wouldn’t. But if its just on the medium then it’s ok. Also depends on how you’re eating them. I like making teas from fresh shrooms. So I wash them before chopping and putting into a tea pot.

If you were drying them I wouldn’t use mouldy ones. I had dried my last batch but they must not have been fully dry and they went mouldy in the jar 😢
I've had that so I got a couple hundred of those food grade silica moisture absorbers for 12 bucks off ebay and I throw 4 or t in the jar and it keeps them cracker dry

Orb

Curing
Community Member
User ID
after seeing the rookie mycologist on YouTube have success, I’ve decided to see if dunking for 12 hours in tap water makes any difference to getting any more out of this cake

39E88D7C-986A-4CE4-B0DD-36CD9D1ED5F1.jpeg

Hudo

Baked
User ID
flush #3 produced just over 5g so time to try something different

View attachment 44426
Did you get a culture of that going? First thing I do when I get a new syringe is make a liquid culture then I end up with about a litre of culture and don't have to buy that strain again and about every 6 months I make new ones to keep it fresh you only need about a ml to start one. I use dry malt extract from the home brew shop only need about a tea spoon per litre just look at you tube

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I always take spore prints before I eat /dry them. They are easier to store and even send to people that way.
Though I have agar plates too so if there’s a particular chonker I do like to clone a bit of tissue.
But I agree that preserving the genetics is important

So after a few flushes. And if dunking doesn’t work. I just bury the cake outside. Maybe the whole garden takes off 🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄

Orb

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Did you get a culture of that going? First thing I do when I get a new syringe is make a liquid culture then I end up with about a litre of culture and don't have to buy that strain again and about every 6 months I make new ones to keep it fresh you only need about a ml to start one. I use dry malt extract from the home brew shop only need about a tea spoon per litre just look at you tube
nah this was first attempt at growing them and I wasn’t sure I’d get into it. now I’ve tried them, I’m well into it so will definitely have a good look at getting one of the other cultures going soon!

Orb

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I always take spore prints before I eat /dry them. They are easier to store and even send to people that way.
Though I have agar plates too so if there’s a particular chonker I do like to clone a bit of tissue.
But I agree that preserving the genetics is important

So after a few flushes. And if dunking doesn’t work. I just bury the cake outside. Maybe the whole garden takes off 🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄
I might pot it up in some soil on the balcony and see if anything goes!

terrancefartbubbler

Vegetating
User ID
I inoculated my all in one bag yesterday and I injected into the medium and only in one spot then on someone else's wisdom I didn't ruff the medium around to spread the spores, today I realised I should of injected the surface and then ruffed the bag. Anyways can I ruff the bag to spread them today 24hrs after inoculation?

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I inoculated my all in one bag yesterday and I injected into the medium and only in one spot then on someone else's wisdom I didn't ruff the medium around to spread the spores, today I realised I should of injected the surface and then ruffed the bag. Anyways can I ruff the bag to spread them today 24hrs after inoculation?
it will be fine might just take a tad longer to see the mycelium, when you see a nice clump of it you can break it up and mix it through the medium then its off to the races. liquid cultures are very fast when it comes to colonizing

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Found an easy DIY liquid culture. Does a liquid culture work faster then syringe spores or are they the same thing?

If it’s proper liquid culture it should be good quality spores.
Spores prints are the first droppings of spores that may have contaminations but if a LC had been properly isolated on agar and then mixed up in a solution it should t have anything bad.

But the answer to the second question is yes that are the same thing. Both are liquid spores.
I prefer to use slices of agar with nice myc growth the drop into grain jars instead of isolate to liquid culture. Just one less step but same results. But you need to be very careful and sterile as possible. Flowhood or at minimum a still air box.

Top Bottom