Spore-tacular Shenanigans

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Jesus that's a bit rough (the mitre 10 holesaw 🤣, not having a go at you if you read it that way 😆), I think I used those Diablo brand spade bits from Bunnings they were okay for it but i knew I'd fk up so bought extra tubs and surely enough broke a few being too heavy handed

Last edited:

Orb

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Jesus that's a bit rough (the mitre 10 holesaw 🤣, not having a go at you if you read it that way 😆), I think I used those Diablo brand spade bits from Bunnings they were okay for it but i knew I'd fk up so bought extra tubs and surely enough broke a few being too heavy handed
all good Goonie mate, the tub held up well, put a fair few holes in with just ordinary drill bit and it was great, no cracking

will cover the holes up with some nicropore tape and I’ll inoculate one of the bags with a strain tomorrow

Orb

Curing
Community Member
User ID
tub internal dimensions at the base are about 27cm x 37cm

wasn’t planning on buying substrate materials cause the grow bags are all in one, but now im wondering if I need to use both grow bags or will I get away with one for the monotub

anyone have ideas on the minimum volume of grain and substrate ya should use for my tub size?

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
tub internal dimensions at the base are about 27cm x 37cm

wasn’t planning on buying substrate materials cause the grow bags are all in one, but now im wondering if I need to use both grow bags or will I get away with one for the monotub

anyone have ideas on the minimum volume of grain and substrate ya should use for my tub size?
Pretty sure they say 2 or 3 inches of substrate for the tubs. Some put casing layers on but I reckon going by your success and humidity so far to try without a casing. If you plan on making substrate you can boil up some straw or Coco even a mixture and then get a good chunk of your bag mycelium and crumble it up into your monotub maybe? To keep thing less messy you can chuck your 'field capacity' Coco in oven / microwave bags and loosely tie up with some twist ties or a cable tie then boil for an hour or or so. Then when its done just clamp it down with the zip tie and use in your tub when ready.

No harm trying a bag first in your tub though

Last edited:

Orb

Curing
Community Member
User ID
remembered that I’m away in a few weeks so I’ll wait to start so the bag is nearly finishing colonising when I’m back

like the idea of coco substrate, vermicelli mix - am I right that so as long as it’s sterilised in one of the micron bags, it’s good till u need to use it?

I don’t have a pressure cooker so was thinking oven/microwave might be easiest?

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
remembered that I’m away in a few weeks so I’ll wait to start so the bag is nearly finishing colonising when I’m back

like the idea of coco substrate, vermicelli mix - am I right that so as long as it’s sterilised in one of the micron bags, it’s good till u need to use it?

I don’t have a pressure cooker so was thinking oven/microwave might be easiest?
Should be fine to boil up without a pressure cooker, not sure about the microwave or oven but should work out I'd say. Doesn't really matter if you use a micron bag for boiling the substrate, oven bag will be fine or anything that won't melt

Reactions: Orb
Top Bottom