Scott's premium seed and cutting mix

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
looks to early in the flowering cycle to be at senescence imo
i'd be looking to other factors being the cause of early yellowing
Yep, it's odd, very early in flower. It's specifically all the leaves pointing inwards on the lowest node of each branch which seems to be the only pattern I can spot. I have a feeling I'm still overwatering tbh which could be a contributor. The top 3/4 of the plant is perpetually happy, but the bottom never seems to pick up.

Have also noticed the leaves that are yellowing in a uniform fashion also have rubbery, blood red petioles and the veins are also red, bleeding into the leaf at the junction of the petiole and fingers.

Considering it was only transplanted into the 4 gallon pot three weeks ago it shouldn't be running out of feed any time soon so I'll have to reassess my watering habits.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
i agree i'd start with looking into watering too
do all the checks , finger into soil or moisture meter , weight of the pot & assess from there
keep in mind yellowing leaves can be a sign of over or under watering

as growers we can sometimes flip flop , meaning we start with over watering
then realize our mistake & swing the other way & start under watering
because yellowing leaves can be caused by both we need to put checks in place
to help us find the right path

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Woke up this morn and the lower leaves had basically faded to yellow overnight. There's only half a day between the pic above and the pic below. Seems way too rapid for loss of nutrients so I'd say overwatering with high pH tap water might have thrown the limited buffer capacity out of whack, but the pH seems okay from a slurry test.
IMG_20230417_104931.jpg
Slurry pH is 6.5, temps are good at 20-30c most days in the tent, lights sitting around 900umol/s at the tips.

I'll give it some powerfeed on Wednesday, but if anyone notices anything glaringly obvious before I feed, let us know.

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
Woke up this morn and the lower leaves had basically faded to yellow overnight. There's only half a day between the pic above and the pic below. Seems way too rapid for loss of nutrients so I'd say overwatering with high pH tap water might have thrown the limited buffer capacity out of whack, but the pH seems okay from a slurry test.
View attachment 34102
Slurry pH is 6.5, temps are good at 20-30c most days in the tent, lights sitting around 900umol/s at the tips.

I'll give it some powerfeed on Wednesday, but if anyone notices anything glaringly obvious before I feed, let us know.
Would more light help ?🤞

Or cut em off they down low and see if it happens again ?
Imo and that means I'm just guessing for now off field ✌️👍

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Would more light help ?🤞

Or cut em off they down low and see if it happens again ?
Imo and that means I'm just guessing for now off field ✌️👍
I'll just wait until they fall off tbh. Let the plant rob what it's obviously having issues moving around. Just thought it was interesting how quickly they decided to fade.

I'm at that state where the tops are pretty much sitting at max intensity without environmental control (around 900-1000umol/s) so I'm hesitant to turn the light up. If anything I might dim it a bit to try and slow down the demand for feed considering it's metabolism seems a bit hindered.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
View attachment 34102

That's how quickly mine go in perlite!! 🤣
Probably cause I'm a lazy cunt but and don't feed em often enough!! 🤣

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
That's how quickly mine go in perlite!! 🤣
Probably cause I'm a lazy cunt but and don't feed em often enough!! 🤣
I do have a feeling I loaded up a bit too much perlite tbh. I was running short on mix so it's probably close to a 50/50 mix.

It's at least expected in straight perlite but to go overnight in potting mix is a new record lol. I've finally won a trophy.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Cool might give it a go for the first couple weeks . I put a couple in my mix and they not happy theve been the same for 2 weeks they threw 2 tiny second sets and haven't grown one iota since infact I'm sure they have shrunk lol

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Cool might give it a go for the first couple weeks . I put a couple in my mix and they not happy theve been the same for 2 weeks they threw 2 tiny second sets and haven't grown one iota since infact I'm sure they have shrunk lol
There's nothing worse than watching a stall in real time. Haven't had any for a while but it's crazy how they'll just rear their head every now and then with no changes in routine.

I'd definitely use the mix again as is for the first three-four weeks veg, but I'd either opt for better fed mix or add some amendments for flower. I really like the consistency tbh.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
There's nothing worse than watching a stall in real time. Haven't had any for a while but it's crazy how they'll just rear their head every now and then with no changes in routine.

I'd definitely use the mix again as is for the first three-four weeks veg, but I'd either opt for better fed mix or add some amendments for flower. I really like the consistency tbh.
Yeah this is completely out of routine I'm testing the soil growing.my clones are cranking in my mix but the new seedlings don't like it. I popped some more and will get a bag and report them today

Stackr

Baked
Community Member
User ID
malted barley
Hi @VinDeezle with the malted barley do you mill or grind it to top dress?
I use it extensively on my veggies in the garden and potted plants. I have a couple of 25kg bags, I mill it and mix with water for an extract which is watered in. The remaining milled grain I just dump somewhere to feed the birds, and it keeps them from digging in the veggie patch.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Hi @VinDeezle with the malted barley do you mill or grind it to top dress?
I use it extensively on my veggies in the garden and potted plants. I have a couple of 25kg bags, I mill it and mix with water for an extract which is watered in. The remaining milled grain I just dump somewhere to feed the birds, and it keeps them from digging in the veggie patch.
yep, roughly ground however a few whole end up in there. I find it works as an amazing microbial inoculant/decomposition activator either way, but forms colonies far faster when ground. I have noticed it stick around rather in-decomposed for a whole cycle or more if I don't grind it up, but still seems to form a lot of beneficial biology around the whole barley.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
using sprouted seed is definitely beneficial , whether you use a malted seed like 2 row malted barley
( if poss source organically grown barley malted for pilsner beer making , this generally has the most amount of enzymes , keep in mind beer makers aren't looking at all the possible enzymes available as gardeners would be )
if you can find malted corn seed which is also great for Cytokinins as is coconut water , you can try malted rye seed in flower

almost all seed whether it be malted or just sprouted , blended & added to water ( seed sprout tea / SST ) as a soil drench will only do good things to your soil life & plants , although using to much lucerne / alfalfa can mess a plant up pretty good , you wanna try getting some cover crop seed & making a seed sprout tea from it for a diverse set of enzymes , Eden seeds usually have a winter cover crop seed mix as well as a summer mix , they are allot cheaper than buying a small cover crop / green manure seed mix from bunnings

any excess milled seed left over is great worm farm additive , oh & don't buy malted seed pre milled , do it yourself in a coffee grinder

unfortunately both are out of stock at the minute but both will cost $12 for 400g of seed + shipping ( 400g is plenty of seed )
autumn / winter cover crop https://www.edenseeds.com.au/Product-Info-Seeds?product=green-manure-mix-autumn-winter
spring / summer cover crop https://www.edenseeds.com.au/Product-Info-Seeds?product=green-manure-mix-spring-summer

Top Bottom