Scott's premium seed and cutting mix

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
How do you rate the 4 in 1 compost mix.
Worth it for the price/volume.

I was considering grabbing a bag? But then my local landscaping place has 3 bags for $20 and can mix up the bags of mushroom/cow/chicken
The price is pretty iffy tbh, but I just wanted to give it a go. I have only used it as a top dress a few weeks ago and as an amendment in the Scott's mix with the destroyers, but I have got some burned tips starting on the latest run even though I've fed water only for 6ish weeks, so I take it it's doing something right as the seed/cutting mix us pretty low on feed.

I did however add some greenthumbs bud/bloom into the compost as well so that will skew the outcome a bit.

I usually just stick with cheap compost, but I've had a few bags lately that have been full of gnats and hardly composted or screened. Basically half solid wood.

Tbh, I'll be going back to the landscaping joint over Bunnings or greenthumbs in the future. Was more of a "why not" moment.

The bag was wasn't very full though, which was odd, and very moist to the point where it weighed 17kg for a bag just over half full.

Last edited:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Going well. Week 8ish flower.
IMG_20230523_172054.jpg
IMG_20230523_172248.jpgIMG_20230523_172702.jpg
It seems this mix performs better if I leave it as is and feed when it gets hungry compared to loading up compost and bud/bloom before potting as the destroyers are both showing some burn this time round.
IMG_20230523_133756.jpg
Seems easier too, just plant as is and start feeding bio canna or powerfeed around week 5-6 instead of haphazardly throwing in amendments if they aren't needed at the time of potting. All up the black lime has had four feeds of bio canna and a top dress of compost.

Last edited:

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Yeah I found the same I put some clones in the scotts mix and found its great with canna bio
considering I had good results last time doing the same, I really don't know why I always have to fuck with the process lol.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
considering I had good results last time doing the same, I really don't know why I always have to fuck with the process lol.
Tell me about it mate im always playing around with shit. Thats why i dont buy any fancy gadgets anymore i fuck around too much and go backwards, I only tried the scotts because of this thread.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I think it is only natural that some of us find something good and try to make it better. It is the way:D
For sure, just some of us end up making it worse in the process lol. Instead of changing one variable and feeding a bit earlier I go and change multiple things at once and muddy the waters until I have no idea what is causing the issues.

It's all good fun though, and I've yet again learned to stop fucking with shit that already works.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
So, ended up checking the pH of the Scott's mix the destroyers starburst fem testers are in due to some rapidly progressing burn on lower leaves. pH came back low 5s (5.1) which is odd as the last bag cane in around 6.2, and drifted up to high 6s.
IMG_20230525_133550.jpg
Only additives are 5L compost (greenthumbs 4+1), 1/2 cup bud/bloom and 1/3 cup rock dust. The rock dust and microbes in the compost should act as a buffer.

Decided not to chase the pH though as the plants look okay, and adding more shit sounds like a nightmare and might end up compounding issues.

Could be variance in the bagged product, could be the amendments.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Your doing good if your not getting stacks of insects hatching out of that mix.
That's been my problem in the past.🪰
For sure I don't know what's up. I used to get gnats all the time in coco, but I haven't seen a single gnat or bug for a year or so regardless of what medium I use which is a nice change.

Tried rocky point premium a while back and it was full of gnats and had a bunch of beetles in it, and I did get gnats using this mix a few years back with one of my first indoor plants.

I've even had algae and heaps of meals in the top layer and still haven't seen a single gnat. I do collect jumping spiders though, and have a healthy population in the tents.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Limes starting to fade so I'm hoping not too much longer, however she's still stacking calyx on the tops of each cola.
IMG20230602092755.jpgIMG_20230602_095701.jpg
Found the culprit for the overtly hot medium with the destroyers as well lol, mate forgot to tell me he added "a few handfuls" of 4-4-4 granules to the bud/bloom bag, and left the go/grow as is which explains a lot haha,. especially considering I skipped the go/grow and added more bud/bloom to make up for it..
IMG_20230601_115523.jpg

Last edited:

Squire

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Looking good .
I added perlite and worm castings to the landscaping mix and still got a little tip burn. However at 6/7 weeks into flower and in small pots it ran out of juce so been watering with my home made hydro and looking good again.
I think yours will pull before mine. Best of luck to you

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Looking good .
I added perlite and worm castings to the landscaping mix and still got a little tip burn. However at 6/7 weeks into flower and in small pots it ran out of juce so been watering with my home made hydro and looking good again.
I think yours will pull before mine. Best of luck to you

I'd say I've got about a week and a half left, should take me to 10.5, maybe 11 weeks flower. Was that the gelato you speak of? If so it's a race I intend to win.

if anything, platitudes should all head your way. When I started, I would not have dreamt of a first run so fruitful.

My first indoor plant was a good haul, but the leaves looked like something had spewed death all over them by week 6 flower as I fell for the feed charts canna had me reading.

Squire

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Trial and error . The ones in soil ran out of food and feed them hydro until they returned to normal colour and the ones in coco ended up with some burnt fan leaves and have been on water for a while. I just let the plants tell me what they need. Funny the coco blew out to 6k ppm in run off and only lost a couple of fan leaves the flowers didn't notice. Must be the homemade hydro.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Trial and error . The ones in soil ran out of food and feed them hydro until they returned to normal colour and the ones in coco ended up with some burnt fan leaves and have been on water for a while. I just let the plants tell me what they need. Funny the coco blew out to 6k ppm in run off and only lost a couple of fan leaves the flowers didn't notice. Must be the homemade hydro.
I had that before lol. Feeding an EC of 1.5 twice a day. Plant finished stretch and stoped drinking anywhere near as much, but it looked fine so I just kept it up.

Out of interest a week or so later I checked the runoff and it was at 4500ppm. Quite surprisingly I just fed water for a week or so with no runoff and all went well.

Other times I've had burn at the drop of a hat. Teaches me not to go on autopilot as every plant has a vastly different metabolism.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Nah , just saying what a lot of others think but won't say it

Me I don't give a fuck
I think you forgot the part where others opinions are inconsequential to my operatiom. Your welcome to piss in my cornflakes whenever brother.

I was getting worried you were sick or something as it had been too long inbetween tantrums.

Top Bottom