Mushy Mayhem

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
How often do you fae grow bags when fruiting?
To be completely honest I've not ever grown cubes before, only gourmet mushrooms which I never had contam problems with. But I just cut slits in the bag and put them in a shotgun fruiting chamber. I don't think cubes need the chambers as much as the gourmet mushies but the pan cyans do. I'd just open the bag twice a day to fan fresh air through

terrancefartbubbler

Vegetating
User ID
My first bag with the Tas strain isn't looking to healthy starting to turn yellow and I think the mycelium is dying from the looks. It's got a few small pins growing hopefully they will make it to the end. I have been fanning 3 times a day but noticed the smorning there is a small mushroom stuck to the side of the bag must of happened from fanning.

FreoJJ

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Yeah I do and have been spraying everything with alcohol, burning the blade etc etc, spraying down arms and hands with alcohol. Some of the takeaway containers don't seal up that well though, but those are older containers so I guess the chances of contam are higher the longer they sit around. Did a bit of digging on other forums and they reckon to drop an agar wedge into peroxide and leave it for 15 mins, will try that since I have lots of contaminated cont

Good luck with the bags, you doing syringes or swabs?
Syringes try and keep it as simple as possible first up

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Yeah I do and have been spraying everything with alcohol, burning the blade etc etc, spraying down arms and hands with alcohol. Some of the takeaway containers don't seal up that well though, but those are older containers so I guess the chances of contam are higher the longer they sit around. Did a bit of digging on other forums and they reckon to drop an agar wedge into peroxide and leave it for 15 mins, will try that since I have lots of contaminated cont

Good luck with the bags, you doing syringes or swabs?
I got most of my spores via spore prints from forum members on the shroomery.org. Most came from the states. A few from Europe and here too.
I have some swabs too but I’ve never actually purchased a spore syringe.
I use agar to clean up spore prints while also making up a spore syringe myself.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
The peroxide idea might be the go

I’ll give it a try too. When I eventually get off my arse and back into it. Keen to get started on some Pan Cyans. I’ve left it too late for wood eaters now but I have some Ps Azurescens on agar as well as Ps Subs prints and Ps ovoidaicysta (?)

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
The peroxide idea might be the go

I’ll give it a try too. When I eventually get off my arse and back into it. Keen to get started on some Pan Cyans. I’ve left it too late for wood eaters now but I have some Ps Azurescens on agar as well as Ps Subs prints and Ps ovoidaicysta (?)
Got a good collection there by the looks of it! I've been reading up on the Shroomery about the Pan Cyans, they reckon its harder to grow indoors so I guess it wasn't the brightest idea. Made some fresh agars again. If It doesn't start to clear up I will get some Gentamicin and make antibacterial agar

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Just done a few peroxide baths with the agar wedges, upon inspecting the GT agar I saw that the mycelium actually had some clean growth with no Bacteria underneath so i reckon I could have skipped the peroxide and transferred and had 100% clean containers but I dunked it in just in case.

So I did about 6% peroxide for my solution and waited 15 mins. Came back and the water was 100% clean which probably meant I could have skipped the peroxide bath.

The Hillbilly however had contam spots all through the agar so I chucked the wedges in and now look at the waterIMG_20240330_180400_HDR.jpg

It's frothed up quite a bit compared to the GT wedges which didn't, so I'm hoping this has killed the Bacteria, fingers crossed

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Golden Teacher clone agar plate compliments of Goonie Mushy Farm.IMG_2386.jpeg

Was slow growth but over the last 24-30 hours it seems to have taken off .
I heard if there is condensation on the lid it’s best to leave it upside down to prevent contamination, so I did ..now there is a patch growing along the crack of the lid..I was a dumb arse and cracked it ,but taped over it immediately,,that was well over a week ago so feeling confident that it didn’t let the bad guys in .

I figure the bit about placing it upside down could be just bro science, coz it’s all contained, can’t see how its own condensation would contaminate it ,,any one heard of that ?

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Golden Teacher clone agar plate compliments of Goonie Mushy Farm.View attachment 46651

Was slow growth but over the last 24-30 hours it seems to have taken off .
I heard if there is condensation on the lid it’s best to leave it upside down to prevent contamination, so I did ..now there is a patch growing along the crack of the lid..I was a dumb arse and cracked it ,but taped over it immediately,,that was well over a week ago so feeling confident that it didn’t let the bad guys in .

I figure the bit about placing it upside down could be just bro science, coz it’s all contained, can’t see how its own condensation would contaminate it ,,any one heard of that ?
Looks pretty good, mine went well after the peroxide soak, no Bacteria blooming.

Looks like there could be a little contamination around the main part but that would be my fault when transferring

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Some pics of the peroxide soaked agar transfers. Wish I just did the peroxide soak to begin with, will probably do it from now on since it's been very successful.

I did try a different method of agar containers, pressure cooked in jars and poured it into containers instead of cooking it altogether in the containers. Think I ended up getting 2 clean plates out of 12 so will be going back to the other way (pouring into container and pressure cooking them).

Glad that green slimey stuff is gone anyway

IMG_20240404_143820.jpgIMG_20240404_143952.jpgIMG_20240404_144017.jpgIMG_20240404_144255.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_143820.jpg
    IMG_20240404_143820.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
plates look clean as mate

the oven tray growth looks perfect - what’s in that one?
Cordyceps, never grown them before.. apparently they are really good for cancers and other stuff so thought I'd give it a try. Need to make more bags actually. It's been a bit of a fk around with all the contam plates but I feel like it should be right now

Reactions: Orb
Top Bottom