Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
IMG_20240327_111547_HDR.jpgIMG_20240327_111520_HDR.jpg

This is supposed to be a GT bag but I'm not entirely sure if this is mycelium, it's way fluffier than the agar wedges I put in and there was a very good chance there was already contamination on the agar with the mycelium.

I've been trying to get clean transfers from my mycelium cultures, and it's really doing my head in as there's this Bacteria or Yeast not entirely sure but its spreading through all my new agar containers.
I think I'm upto the 4th transfer now and it's pissing me off.. basically I take a wedge of what appears to be clean mycelium and transfer under a still air box. Everything seems great for 3 to 4 days then this shit just blooms out of nowhere.
I'm thinking maybe I can take another clone and dip it in some diluted peroxide, hoping it's strong enough to kill this shit without killing the mycelium also...

The blotches above the mycelium chunk, that's the stuff I'm talking about
IMG_20240327_112952_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I inoculated a bag last week within 2 days there was white fluff I thought must be mould today it is covering 50% of the bag not sure if it's fluffy mycelium or what, the substrate feels solid like mycelium. I've been waiting for it to turn green and stink

I'm thinking this is mycelium but there's just little patches of like a powdery white that could be contam, I'm not really messing around breaking the bag up, if it is a bit of contam then I'm hoping the myc can grow around it and contain it from spreading

Orb

Curing
Community Member
User ID
when I was looking into the lazy persons approach to cloning I saw online the Agar plates with antibacterial agents - would u add them to ur next mix?

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
when I was looking into the lazy persons approach to cloning I saw online the Agar plates with antibacterial agents - would u add them to ur next mix?
I might add some amoxicillin to the next batch, good idea. But I did add some vanilla extract to these ones and the one you got, it's supposed to be antibiotic to an extent but also is beneficial for the growth of some mycelium they reckon.. hope your clone is doing well

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
So there’s two kinds of mycelium growth.
Tometose and rhizomorthic ( spelling could be wrong there)
Rhizo has those branching arms
Tometose is white and fluffy

That agar transfer @Goonie Goat looks good. Just keep it going.
But agar work is easy to contaminate especially when just starting out. SAB only contain so much. Pathogens are always going to grow if they have the slightest chance.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
So there’s two kinds of mycelium growth.
Tometose and rhizomorthic ( spelling could be wrong there)
Rhizo has those branching arms
Tometose is white and fluffy

That agar transfer @Goonie Goat looks good. Just keep it going.
But agar work is easy to contaminate especially when just starting out. SAB only contain so much. Pathogens are always going to grow if they have the slightest chance.
So I shouldn't need to worry about that blotchy stuff? I'll get some more pics of other ones

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Blotches can be the mycelium bruising
But they can be contams too. Hard to tell until it grows out. But if one side of the myc doesn’t have any blotches just keep transferring. So agar transfers need many attempts
Good you have a cheaper agar plate set up

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Okay these are from the older plates which I have taken clones from, see the blotchy goo stuff. It covers the agar before the mycelium gets a chance to go rhizomorphic

GT
IMG_20240328_212106_HDR~2.jpg

Hillbilly

IMG_20240328_211955_HDR.jpgIMG_20240328_212208_HDR~2.jpg
Pan Cyan
IMG_20240328_211818_HDR~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240328_212208_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20240328_212208_HDR~2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Yeah ok they are certainly contams
Do you wear a face mask while doing agar work? Just limiting any possible vector helps. And gloves. But I found the nitrile ones are the best. When I ran out I just didn’t bother with gloves and washed my hands thoroughly. I noticed more contams after that.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Do you wear a face mask while doing agar work? Just limiting any possible vector helps. And gloves. But I found the nitrile ones are the best. When I ran out I just didn’t bother with gloves and washed my hands thoroughly. I noticed more contams after that.
Yeah I do and have been spraying everything with alcohol, burning the blade etc etc, spraying down arms and hands with alcohol. Some of the takeaway containers don't seal up that well though, but those are older containers so I guess the chances of contam are higher the longer they sit around. Did a bit of digging on other forums and they reckon to drop an agar wedge into peroxide and leave it for 15 mins, will try that since I have lots of contaminated containers

terrancefartbubbler

Vegetating
User ID
Yea I'm gonna let
I'm thinking this is mycelium but there's just little patches of like a powdery white that could be contam, I'm not really messing around breaking the bag up, if it is a bit of contam then I'm hoping the myc can grow around it and contain it from spreading
Yea I'm gonna let the myc do its thing maybe do a break and shake later in life maybe around 70%

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Yeah I do and have been spraying everything with alcohol, burning the blade etc etc, spraying down arms and hands with alcohol. Some of the takeaway containers don't seal up that well though, but those are older containers so I guess the chances of contam are higher the longer they sit around. Did a bit of digging on other forums and they reckon to drop an agar wedge into peroxide and leave it for 15 mins, will try that since I have lots of contaminated cont
Ordering a couple of beginners bags and Jack Frost and Ecuador spores this weekend going to have a go đź‘Ť
Good luck with the bags, you doing syringes or swabs?

Top Bottom