Mushy Mayhem

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Chucked all my colonized agar out and cleaned the jars (had been sitting in the fridge for almost a year but still looked okay besides some condensation). Had some left over agar (in a beer bottle lol) from last time alsoIMG_20240210_165725_HDR.jpg
I don't drink Carlton by the way 🤢🤮
IMG_20240210_165645_HDR~2.jpg

Put the bottle of agar in a water bath on the stove, took a while to liquify but finally got there
IMG_20240210_171529_HDR.jpg

Had just enough agar to do all the jars 👍, then into the pressure cooker for 15 mins at 12 psi to sterilizeIMG_20240210_173958_HDR.jpgIMG_20240210_193515_HDR~2.jpg

Worked on the substrate after. Coco / Manure / Seaweed Compost and some oats and gypsum. Perfect amount of moisture, ready to bag up and pressure cook for a few hours.IMG_20240210_172604_HDR.jpg

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Interesting substrate mix. Why the seaweed compost?
Just had it laying around but only added a little amount, its basically regular compost mixed with seaweed so most of its basically wood which I chucked out. Researched it and there's a bit of info online saying the minerals in seaweed are good for mushrooms, others say it increases dry yield and potency but didn't want to add too much just in case it was really salty, they reckon to only add it to manure based substrates though

The presence of the calcareous seaweed in the growing medium surprisingly produced mushrooms that had increased % dry weight; increased mineral content with improved taste and colour.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
u have an eye for a bargain Goonie, where did u get ur jars?

That's them Orb. I remember seeing the idea somewhere on YouTube I think

benn0

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Where do you get the agar from mate? and what kind of pressure cooker are you using? I've tried dabbling in plant tissue culture but failed when i couldn't get my agar mix correct

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Where do you get the agar from mate? and what kind of pressure cooker are you using? I've tried dabbling in plant tissue culture but failed when i couldn't get my agar mix correct
I've been using this stuff
https://www.shroombloomsupplies.com.au/product/malt-extract-agar
They have an eBay shop also but for some reason can't link it here, I wanted to make my own but just bought premixed for convenience,

Here's the pressure cooker, I'm pretty happy with it but it only goes to about 12 psi though, figured that bigger is better if making mushroom bags. Managed to jam 7 bags in which I cooked for 2 hours 30 mins. Agar cooks for 10-15 mins

Last edited:

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Agar agar can be purchase from most Asian grocery stores.
I use Saunders malt extract as my sugar source for agar dishes.
I bought proper Petri dishes from a science website for schools.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Swabbed the agar with Avery's Albino and Tasmanian Spores, did four of each. They've been sitting in clothes draws for quite a while so hopefully it works. Sifted through my old bags I was using for CO2 and found some that didn't get contaminated so I decided to fruit those while waiting for the others to colonize. My setup is just some Supercheap auto shelves with some 6500k leds stuck under the shelves with liquid nails, runs off a laptop charger but only have them on for fruiting. IMG_20240212_173235_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240212_173327_HDR.jpgIMG_20240212_171117_HDR~2.jpgIMG_20240212_171244_HDR.jpg

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Just thought I'd share the parts to my mushroom shelves if anyone is interested in making something similar.
Starting with the shelves.
Can get them on sale sometimes for $10 each, kind of flimsy but okay for the price.

6500k led strips

Power supply

16awg speaker cable

Liquid nails
Zip ties
Solder
Electrical tape or heat shrink tubes
50L clear storage tubs
Perlite

Pretty simple to make, put the shelf together, flip it upside down and glue the lights on with liquid nails. Then cut connectors off and extend the cable length with stereo cable so it will reach the next shelf and solder it up and wrap with tape, zip tie any loose bits of cable around the frame. 50L storage containers fit like a glove so great for monotubs and shotgun fruiting chambers. Mushrooms don't need much light at all but some light helps them get colour so you could probably run 2 shelves with 8 lights off the 1 power supply. Relatively cheap and tidy enough. Kind of reminds me of the stacked aquariums at pet shops 😆

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
IMG_20240214_173600.jpgIMG_20240214_173332_HDR.jpgIMG_20240214_173358_HDR.jpg

Looks like we have some mycelium from the Tasmanian strain. Very fast as mentioned before here on the mycology thread, so looks like a great beginner strain for sure. No signs of mycelium yet on the Avery's Albino, I remember it took a few weeks to see anything last time I tried but have noticed a spot of bacterial growth in 1 jar. Did 4 jars of each strain just in case this happened anyway. The Dark blotch in the picture is just the tip of the cotton bud which I chopped off and jammed into the agar.

I may even send a few bags out to some members if people are interested, won't take long for this mycelium to take over the mushroom bags.

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Anyone know if the turkey tail mushroom is grown in Oz?
Aussie mushroom supplies has them listed

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Anyone know if the turkey tail mushroom is grown in Oz?
Sure is, got some on a stump in the backyard, theyre like leather with a velvet feel on-top, look underneath and it should be white with pores, these mushrooms don't have gills they are a polypore mushroom. If it has gills and yellow then it's a false turkey tail
IMG_20240216_115333.jpg
They just turned up one day after lots of rain. They are Saprophytic, they break down and feed off wood

Found this on Reddit, lol
1708045341217.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom