Results are only viewable after voting.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID
The government should never be involved in selling off the peoples assets

They should get some smart cunts to draw up the contracts, we get screwed every time they sell something

GDP goes up tho lol

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Gold plated infrastructure around here, it was the state governments that never kept it upgraded
That’s why the Australian energy council have said the 2 biggest issues to grid security and increasing power costs are an ageing grid that isn’t being maintained to standard and our ageing coal generators.

short term (5-10 years) we should be looking at a 2 generator amd storage system (primary generators, secondary generators and storage) primary generators should be wind/solar/hydro/geothermal and be providing bulk of the power especially during the day when bulk of power is used

secondary generators should be quick fire Natural gas/diesel generators, used to provide grid stability, essentially the backup generators of the grid and kick in when needed, placed in strategic areas ie near high power draw industries like furnaces etc.

Storage, now most people think batteries but not all storage is batteries, batteries make sense for local settings ie in your house (maybe have 8 hours of battery capacity in your house) or a hospital etc, getting into non local storage options that can hold power for the entire grid (and a whole lot of it) we can look at things like gravity batteries like pumped hydro or crane batteries

drgreenthumb

All time Shittest Trimmer.
User ID
yeah thats what I was thinking of, not a whole revamp of 240v AC to DC lol

Superconductors are about to transform power generation, I think we've now got superconductors at around dry ice temperatures which is impressive, making it cheaper and easier to transmit electricity
They've just got superconductors to operate in ambient temp. Think in the Netherlands from memory, it'd be online somewhere. The cost would still be outrages but that'll change over time

drgreenthumb

User ID
That’s why the Australian energy council have said the 2 biggest issues to grid security and increasing power costs are an ageing grid that isn’t being maintained to standard and our ageing coal generators.

short term (5-10 years) we should be looking at a 2 generator amd storage system (primary generators, secondary generators and storage) primary generators should be wind/solar/hydro/geothermal and be providing bulk of the power especially during the day when bulk of power is used

secondary generators should be quick fire Natural gas/diesel generators, used to provide grid stability, essentially the backup generators of the grid and kick in when needed, placed in strategic areas ie near high power draw industries like furnaces etc.

Storage, now most people think batteries but not all storage is batteries, batteries make sense for local settings ie in your house (maybe have 8 hours of battery capacity in your house) or a hospital etc, getting into non local storage options that can hold power for the entire grid (and a whole lot of it) we can look at things like gravity batteries like pumped hydro or crane batteries
Thats how our Grid in NSW, VIC and part SA works already. The snowy hydro gives during the day and pumps back up to the origin during the night. Capacitor banks are to store and bring back the power factor ( VAR rectifiers they're called) on the grid which they have all over the place. I built lots throughout sydney and killkeivan QLD or however the fuck its spelt

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Thats how our Grid in NSW, VIC and part SA works already. The snowy hydro gives during the day and pumps back up to the origin during the night. Capacitor banks are to store and bring back the power factor ( VAR rectifiers they're called) on the grid which they have all over the place. I built lots throughout sydney and killkeivan or however the fuck its spelt
Thats how our Grid in NSW, VIC and part SA works already. The snowy hydro gives during the day and pumps back up to the origin during the night. Capacitor banks are to store and bring back the power factor ( VAR rectifiers they're called) on the grid which they have all over the place. I built lots throughout sydney and killkeivan QLD or however the fuck its spelt
Yeah but now remove coal and add a fuckload more renewables 😉. Pumped hydro in conjunction of real hydro has been a thing for a little while but closed loop pumped hydro and (my fav) crane batteries allow for med/long term storage of power not just stabilising grid voltage

Pedro de pacas

User ID
lol just build some modern coal plants, gas plants

fuck wont matter what we in OZ do anyway, how much do ya reckon the temp would drop if we depopulated the cuntry ??

drgreenthumb

User ID
Yeah but now remove coal and add a fuckload more renewables 😉. Pumped hydro in conjunction of real hydro has been a thing for a little while but closed loop pumped hydro and (my fav) crane batteries allow for med/long term storage of power not just stabilising grid voltage
There is definitely a shiload better and cleaner fossil fuels use to use other than brown coal. Only people that like coal in this country are from north Queenslander and central highlands NSW because they'd be fucked without it being dug up.

Can build a lot better oil and gas which we have massive supplies off. Not just coal seam gas for those Anti CSG people out there.

if everyone goes electric vehicles then we wont have a chance to back off the stations and store energy cause there will be no 'off peak' from 10 million electric cars being charged at night. will be a big problem cause that's the time when we go in and do shutdowns and maintenance on a lot of the equipment.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
lol just build some modern coal plants, gas plants

fuck wont matter what we in OZ do anyway, how much do ya reckon the temp would drop if we depopulated the cuntry ??
Well agl etc aren’t interested in building coal generators, they are building a few quick fire gas/diesel generators but those are smaller generators in key locations to provide grid stability.
There is definitely a shiload better and cleaner fossil fuels use to use other than brown coal. Only people that like coal in this country are from north Queenslander and central highlands NSW because they'd be fucked without it being dug up.

if everyone goes electric vehicles then we wont have a chance to back off the stations and store energy cause there will be no 'off peak' from 10 million electric cars being charged at night. will be a big problem cause that the time when we go in and do shutdowns and maintenance on a lot of the equipment.
if we get to that point the grid will have to be much better and I’d expect (and hope) they’d design it in a way assets and areas can be taken offline for maintenance without effecting the grid. Like repairing solar farms at night and wind turbines when there’s surplus power.

I’m also not saying we will be free from fossil fuel in the near future but we shouldn’t be putting them at the front, they should be there if and when they are needed.

as electric car become more prolific I see there will be more choices on when you can charge them. Like at work/shopping/going to a movie. Like if your able to charge your car wherever you park it. I’ve also seen somewhere electric cars plugged into the grid being used as battery banks so actually giving power back to the grid when needed

Pedro de pacas

User ID
what would be the decrease in temp be if we depopulated OZ, or all go and live like the aborigines used to

Pedro de pacas

User ID
3 days to an anarchy I reckon, then the cannibals' would rise up and eat everytnuc

Bring it on , we would survive here, need a lot of ammo tho

Indy

Misfit
User ID
there’s already been huge leaps made in recycling of solar panels and lithium batteries in the last 5-10 years. Also it’s already greener to run an electric car powers by a non renewable grid than a petrol or diesel and it’ll only get better as more renewables are put into the network. The issue we currently face is distribution because our network isn’t set up to handle a large amount of smaller generators spread across the country, it’s set up for a few larger generators and there’s almost no money to be made in upgrading the grid so it’s unlikely that private companies will do so (and is partially the reason we have grid issues as it is because the private owners don’t put fuck all into it for maintenance let alone upgrade/expansion), currently grid stability/access is the largest hurdle renewables face in getting a construction project off the ground. If the fed government was smart they’d take control of the grid and maintain/upgrade it to spur on private investment in renewables.

Who in the country is set up to handle the recycling side of the panels and batteries? The contractors, councils and state/fed gov's can't even process our recyclable rubbish. Thank fuck indonesia told us to fuck off and stop sending shiploads of our crap there to dump. The feds have had no choice but to step up and do something about it now by splashing around billions into shitty schemes that will prove to be unviable. But that's another subject to scrutinise for another day..

Anyway, the reason i'm keen on nuclear than other options for now is it'll address the primary baseload issue where a lot of renewables fall short at this point in time, and i can't see what the issue is with the grid, at least in QLD. SEQ has had major upgrades (feeding in) to Brisbane and Gold Coast (not sure about Sunny Coast) in the last 10 years. That same feed in grid has 3 solar farms feeding into it within a 100km radius of me. So yeah, got me fucked where you think there's a issue with a aging/failing network, or the with the fast tracking of tapping renewables into it. If that's already happening, why can't nuclear plants (micro or otherwise) do the same.

drgreenthumb

User ID
. If that's already happening, why can't nuclear plants (micro or otherwise) do the same.
probably because of the fact that the planet is still dealing with the aftermath of the Chernobyl disaster almost 40 years after and the more recent ones in Japan.

Nuclear is an extremely powerful and efficient power source but requires a lot of water which needs to come from a water source which is where we all live so it gives you a high risk of contamination and fall out.

The comeback most people have with it is why don't we just put them in the desert, Which is even worse. There is no water out there for 1 and secondly, guess where the red dust storms we get every year on the coast come from????.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
.. which is why micro reactor's set up along the eastern seaboard within 50k's of the coastline is the preferred option of a few, myself included.

Chernobyl and Japan's reactor's were crazy ideas to begin with that were bound to fail eventually. Can't trust Russia to do the right thing, and Japan is on a fucking fault line ffs, lol.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
.. which is why micro reactor's set up along the eastern seaboard within 50k's of the coastline is the preferred option of a few, myself included.

Chernobyl and Japan's reactor's were crazy ideas to begin with that were bound to fail eventually. Can't trust Russia to do the right thing, and Japan is on a fucking fault line ffs, lol.
So is our eastern seaboard. For the same money over the same time you could build 4-6x more renewable capacity which is unlikely to have delays which cost even more money.
Without even getting into the safety aspects they simply cost too much to build.

drgreenthumb

User ID

Yea you're probably right. All the worlds leading nuclear scientist, physicist and engineers didn't have a clue what they were doing but a few people and a guy on a weed forum with with their preferred option of 'micro' reactors along the coastline are onto it!!!!

Righto lets start building boys!!!!!

Top Bottom