How To Grow Reg Seeds

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Seed isn't a problem for most of the original members of this site

When you've been around the forum any length of time you'd know the monthly seed comp are very generous , very generous

Look no ones pressuring to put any pics , but 1 way to earn yourself some credibility is to put up pics of your grows

If you've been doing this for 30yrs , there's a few members been doing this before you were thought of , having built strains over many yrs

So I suggest do a bit of reading , start a diary , and be active so you're eligible for the comps

You'll find most of the older members don't bother to enter , mainly because it's there seeds that are been given away , or they have no need for seed as they have more than they could ever grow

Unless you a auto grower and you need reliable seeds , which are also available donated by very generous members

Realistically would you take hhe advice of a random person on the Web, or the advice of someone who has had multiple successful diaries and been a long time contributor to the site

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
@Old fox

Surely we can try to help without posting pictures.
Does this mean only people with pictures posted can have opinions?
I didn't see that in the site rules, maybe you could enlighten me as to where I can see the hidden rules.

You don't have to agree of course, but wiser heads than mine came up with the idea of selecting for quality and then replicating that in clone form. Not suggesting anything radical just standard practice in the industry. It often takes a few runs to dial your pheno in. You can have a keeper and still be looking for the next one as well you know.

How long I have been on the site is of no consequence to me, maybe it is to you. Each to their own I like to say. People should be able to judge from what I am saying that I have been at this quite a while. 30+ years.
I can take exception with your suggestion without taking exception with you personally. Or at least I should be able to.
I also mentioned sativas in my first post.
Not trying to mislead anybody here, just stating my opinions. Ones that save money and lead to good quality.
Yeah mate as the other 2 have said unless you have some photographic evidence not many here will take anything you say seriously!

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID
Why would a plant from clone finish flowering earlier than a seed ?
Generally, cutting grown plants flower quicker because they are already little plants, they don't have to go through "seedling" stage. I'm not a cannabis expert but do quite a lot of plant propagating from cuttings of edibles and ornamentals.

Last edited:

Madmick

Baked
User ID
talk is cheap we love to judge growers by quality of their plants and buds.

Rule number 1

Pics or it didn’t happen
Yep , that's was billy favourite saying back on OSA , pics or it didn't happen

I remember walking across river for a couple of hrs to get some pics of the land I had cleared over the yrs just to prove it did happen. I remember SE liked them , but it was worth it because I didn't have any pics of them so was nice to get the memory on file

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Virgil,,,

I’ve read the same about clones shortening the flower time but have not experienced it with the hybrids I have cloned,,
You say it works for sativas ,,perhaps it does ,,I wouldn’t know,,I usually only grow sativa leaning hybrids..though I have a couple of pure sativas happening now ..in each grow area i use.

my mates often get any surplus hybrid clones I have and their flowering times don’t change either,,nor does it change when I grow them out.
the only time it saves is in early veg as they are already rooted.

From what you said this bit
Quote from you,,”But I admit auto's and feminised seed are probably not worth the effort of cloning based purely on quality and time vs effort.”

yep cloning Autos won’t get you far.
but cloning Fems not worth it ?
Got to disagree with you there,,I don’t know where you got that advice from or why you give that advice..?

plenty Of good breeding done nowadays purely from feminised
plants..Ethos breeders are doing a great job just by back crossing and reversing plants that were already feminised..

also without using feminised we would not have the enjoyment of
experiencing clone only strains where there are no males to breed with,,,Green Crack is just one example ,

Virgil

Germinating
User ID
Yeah mate as the other 2 have said unless you have some photographic evidence not many here will take anything you say seriously!
Whatever. Take it or leave it. Advice is free with or without photographic evidence. If it helped the guy with the question and he said it did then I couldn't care what you think. Not looking to impress anybody just offering up some free advice from many years actual experience.
If I post photos online I am putting more than just myself at risk, anyway I am not here for the photo's. I am here to learn from others and share any knowledge I have gathered. The rest is just your ego talking.

Virgil

Germinating
User ID
Seed isn't a problem for most of the original members of this site

When you've been around the forum any length of time you'd know the monthly seed comp are very generous , very generous

Look no ones pressuring to put any pics , but 1 way to earn yourself some credibility is to put up pics of your grows

If you've been doing this for 30yrs , there's a few members been doing this before you were thought of , having built strains over many yrs

So I suggest do a bit of reading , start a diary , and be active so you're eligible for the comps

You'll find most of the older members don't bother to enter , mainly because it's there seeds that are been given away , or they have no need for seed as they have more than they could ever grow

Unless you a auto grower and you need reliable seeds , which are also available donated by very generous members

Realistically would you take hhe advice of a random person on the Web, or the advice of someone who has had multiple successful diaries and been a long time contributor to the site
I would take the advice from the person that I thought had the best advice.
I am one of those older guys that has more seed than I know what to do with. I just have not been on this forum very long.
You can keep your suggestions for yourself buddy. There isn't anybody on this forum that was doing this before I was thought of. Keep up the good work though.

Virgil

Germinating
User ID
Virgil,,,

I’ve read the same about clones shortening the flower time but have not experienced it with the hybrids I have cloned,,
You say it works for sativas ,,perhaps it does ,,I wouldn’t know,,I usually only grow sativa leaning hybrids..though I have a couple of pure sativas happening now ..in each grow area i use.

my mates often get any surplus hybrid clones I have and their flowering times don’t change either,,nor does it change when I grow them out.
the only time it saves is in early veg as they are already rooted.

From what you said this bit
Quote from you,,”But I admit auto's and feminised seed are probably not worth the effort of cloning based purely on quality and time vs effort.”

yep cloning Autos won’t get you far.
but cloning Fems not worth it ?
Got to disagree with you there,,I don’t know where you got that advice from or why you give that advice..?

plenty Of good breeding done nowadays purely from feminised
plants..Ethos breeders are doing a great job just by back crossing and reversing plants that were already feminised..

also without using feminised we would not have the enjoyment of
experiencing clone only strains where there are no males to breed with,,,Green Crack is just one example ,
If you throw a plant into flower before it is sexually mature then it will take a week or two longer to flower than a rooted clone off a plant that is sexually mature. This is common knowledge. Maybe I didn't explain it as well as I could have. Cheers

Virgil

Germinating
User ID
@Pikey

A seed plant and clone do not grow identically. A seedplant has a taproot for a start.
The first, second and third runs from clone are all different. As the genetic material being used is still maturing.
Clones taken from a sexually immature seedplant will flower faster than the seedplant. It is common knowledge.
Sorry to drop it on you like this.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
So exactly when is a plant sexually mature ?

Of course if you put a new seedlings 12/12 from the go they will not show signs of flower for maybe 6 weeks if your lucky if not a little longer , I'm not sure if it's sexually mature at 6 weeks but flower it will do

A clone from a mother , whom I'm sure you grew out just to make sure you weren't cloning some bad genetics , will take 6 weeks to establish itself and flower so I'm thinking not quicker about the same

Nothing is quicker at all , put a established clone , a plant 6 weeks + , or any plant that has vegged 6 weeks or more will all flower at the same time frame that there genes tell it to

The advantage of clones from trusted mother is you already know veg time needed for a reasonable harvest , and how long the flower time required to achieve maximum potency and yield

PS they have exactly the same root structure as any plant from seed indoors in Hydroponics
They don't have a tap root at all , outside girls in soil have a tap root , indoors in hydro you get a root mass that fills the whole pot , no tap root

Now if you'd grown a lot of clones indoors in Hydroponics you'd have known that

Virgil

Germinating
User ID
I think you might be wasting your time cloning Autos there meant to be grown from seed not cuttings.
Yes, well pointed out, that was an unnessecary comment on my part. I should have proofread that. I guess not having photos up will mean it doesn't matter anyway because nobody was going to listen to it anyway. I could go through the philosophical logic of this rule and tear it to shreds but what would be the point. Nobody would listen because I don't hyave any photos that I want to share. Somebody call the wambulance!
Would you believe it? There is this guy who thinks he can just post anything without appeasing the self appointed guardians of playground etiquette at the Serrated Edge. Allow me now to recede into the shadows while the bad advice flows.

Last edited:

Virgil

Germinating
User ID
@Madmick

A plant is sexually mature when it shows pre-flowers at the nodes on the main stem.

Dude, cloning is not difficult. If I grow a plant out and I don't like it I turf the clone as well. How hard is that. If I do like it then I have a clone ready to go and no need to stress the plant by re-vegging.

Sativa dominant clones with hybrid vigor do not need veg time. They ccan be flowered as soon as they root and you will end up with a plant over 4 feet. I have said all this before. Maybe it's you that needs to take it easy and digest what you are reading before forming a half-cocked opinion mate.

All seed plants have tap roots. They just go around and around the inside of the pot.

I don't want to rile you up but you are starting to get annoying,.

Last edited:

Pikey

Baked
User ID
@Pikey

A seed plant and clone do not grow identically. A seedplant has a taproot for a start.
The first, second and third runs from clone are all different. As the genetic material being used is still maturing.
Clones taken from a sexually immature seedplant will flower faster than the seedplant. It is common knowledge.
Sorry to drop it on you like this.
If you're not going to bother actually reading what I wrote, then I don't see the point in conversing with you further.

Just another "bro science" wanker, enjoy your public masturbation 💦

Top Bottom