How To Grow Reg Seeds

ShellzShuff3

Vegetating
User ID
Hi all,

Just a few questions re moving away from auto flower plants.

I've only tried autos so far, and I'm keen to try regular/feminised photo seeds from here. One option is having a plant as a 'mother', although I don't fully understand this yet. I've got some seeds coming from 7 East which are all regs.

Questions re reg seeds:
1) If you want to end up with 2 plants, do you use 4 seeds and hope or would you do 5-6 just in case?
2) How old are the plants when you can identify the sex? Do you just discard males unless you want to pollinate?
3) What's the best way to manage multiple seedlings like this - just small pots with seedling mix or something else?
4) It sounds like it's best to go with 18/6 initially, then switch to 12/12 for flower. I presume that means I can have an auto in there to finish while the newer plants are in veg?

Question re mother plant.
1) Is all I need to keep a mother plant just a separate tent and lower powered light? Do they need extraction, internal fans etc.?
2) What would be the smallest size tent you could keep a mother plant in?
3) Do you just continually trim the mother to keep her the size you want? I'm a little confused as to why the mothers don't just get 1-2metres tall haha.

Thanks

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Hi all,

I've only tried autos so far, and I'm keen to try regular/feminised photo seeds from here. One option is having a plant as a 'mother', although I don't fully understand this yet. I've got some seeds coming from 7 East which are all regs.

Questions re reg seeds:
1) If you want to end up with 2 plants, do you use 4 seeds and hope or would you do 5-6 just in case?
2) How old are the plants when you can identify the sex? Do you just discard males unless you want to pollinate?
3) What's the best way to manage multiple seedlings like this - just small pots with seedling mix or something else?
4) It sounds like it's best to go with 18/6 initially, then switch to 12/12 for flower. I presume that means I can have an auto in there to finish while the newer plants are in veg?

1) Is all I need to keep a mother plant just a separate tent and lower powered light? Do they need extraction, internal fans etc.?
3) Do you just continually trim the mother to keep her the size you want? I'm a little confused as to why the mothers don't just get 1-2metres tall haha.

Thanks
Ok so I’m still a novice but this is my take

Reg
1. It’s a lottery 😆 you could get both. You could get all male. All fem. Just pop as many as you can grow in your space. You will need to grow them out to determine sex and if you can’t fit them all in while veg just germinate as many as will fit.

2. Preflower. You need to look for developing pollen sacks(balls) or pistils(lady bits).

3. Small pots or starter cubes in a humidity dome.

4. Yes

Mother
1. Yeah but not lower light. You are just keeping it in veg state. And trim off branches as they get too big. Clone those branches for your next grow cycle. Alternatively you can trim off branches from your vegging plants and clone them so you have a cloning cycle. However you will still need a separate space, light etc.

2. 1x1 , 2x2 depends on what pot size you keep your mother in. And the height it grows. A space bucket (google it) with cfl could theoretically keep a mother

3. Yes

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Ok so I’m still a novice but this is my take

Reg
1. It’s a lottery 😆 you could get both. You could get all male. All fem. Just pop as many as you can grow in your space. You will need to grow them out to determine sex and if you can’t fit them all in while veg just germinate as many as will fit.

2. Preflower. You need to look for developing pollen sacks(balls) or pistils(lady bits).

3. Small pots or starter cubes in a humidity dome.

4. Yes

Mother
1. Yeah but not lower light. You are just keeping it in veg state. And trim off branches as they get too big. Clone those branches for your next grow cycle. Alternatively you can trim off branches from your vegging plants and clone them so you have a cloning cycle. However you will still need a separate space, light etc.

2. 1x1 , 2x2 depends on what pot size you keep your mother in. And the height it grows. A space bucket (google it) with cfl could theoretically keep a mother

3. Yes
☝️

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
For most growers mother's/clones is a waste of a veg tent. A veg tent fired up from seeds 3-4 weeks before you finish a current flowering run, will give you similar overall turnaround timeframes as clone grows. Clones are good for RDWC, pollen chucking, preserving genetics, etc. but not necessary for standard grows

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Questions re reg seeds:
Indoors, I'll usually wet down 6 seeds with the hope of settling on 2 females. In past though, I did germinate 10 stoned rhino many years ago, and all 10 turned out to be male. But on average over the years, I've fortunately had more females than males. I'd say a around 60/40 ratio.
Usually 4-6 weeks you should be able to sex them. You can use the male pollen, but you'd be probably be better using it on a different strain.
Whatever floats your boat, but you'd best stick with something suitable to what grow media they'll finish up in
Dunno, guess so. Thats how id treat them indoors.
The last mothers I kept. I did lower to a 150w HPS, and lowered nutes around 0.6EC. In an attempt to slow there growth rate. Which I appeared to have some success. Yes, need air circulation, so a small extraction fan is required. In a small setup, you'd probably get away with a couple of decent PC fans (100mm-145mm).

Just when it comes to taking clones off her. Be sure to bump up 5he light intensity and up the nutes 2-3 weeks b3for3 you want to take some cuttings, so you got good vigorous growth. Then back it off again once you're done.
A 2x4 could contain a couple.
You can tidy them up while you dont need clones. But if she's looking ratty. Take some clones off her and replace her with them.

Last edited:

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Hey buddy, u can finish an auto on 12/12 but u be crazy madif u do
U need 2 pump those puppies with as much light as u can espec in flower
If anything put em outside instead of 12/12......trying 2 save u heartache here

ShellzShuff3

Vegetating
User ID
Hey buddy, u can finish an auto on 12/12 but u be crazy madif u do
U need 2 pump those puppies with as much light as u can espec in flower
If anything put em outside instead of 12/12......trying 2 save u heartache here
Ah yeah, sorry I meant the autos would be 18/6 which suits them for flower then you could start photos at the same time, then the autos would be finished when the photos go to 12/12.

Virgil

Germinating
User ID
Hi all,

Questions re reg seeds:

Thanks
I have a different take on clones. Clones are super helpful. When you grow a plant from seed especially sativa dominant strains they take longer to flower from the seedplant. Upto two weeks longer. So clones finish flowering earlier. That is one bonus. Plus you cannot evaluate a plant until you have run it several times. So the second and third runs from clone will be important in telling you how the plant will behave as a clone. Seedplants get massive (especially sativas), you can put a just rooted clone into flower and finish with a plant that is 5-6 feet tall. Some seedplants you have to bend to keep under the lights, or grow them off to the side as sativas prefer less light anyway. Many people take clones of their sativas, flower one clone to determine sex. Toss out the seedplant and clone from the other clone. The way I do it is to take clones, as soon as they are rooted I toss the seedplants into flower. If I find something I like in flower then I have a clone of that plant to move forward with and I do not have to re-veg, which some strains do not like, some will not do and is generally a sloppy way to go about things.
Small pots are fine while you are evaluating but you will have to pot up for flower or you will be watering three times a day! I don't post much but I just wanted to show you that one persons dislike of cloning should not put you off. Some people just keep popping seeds on a neverending quest. Ask yourse;lf what will they do when they find the holy grail of weedplants. They are going to let it slip away. If you are cloning you have it forever!

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I have a different take on clones. Clones are super helpful. When you grow a plant from seed especially sativa dominant strains they take longer to flower from the seedplant. Upto two weeks longer. So clones finish flowering earlier. That is one bonus. Plus you cannot evaluate a plant until you have run it several times. So the second and third runs from clone will be important in telling you how the plant will behave as a clone. Seedplants get massive (especially sativas), you can put a just rooted clone into flower and finish with a plant that is 5-6 feet tall. Some seedplants you have to bend to keep under the lights, or grow them off to the side as sativas prefer less light anyway. Many people take clones of their sativas, flower one clone to determine sex. Toss out the seedplant and clone from the other clone. The way I do it is to take clones as soon as they are rooted I toss the seedplants into flower. If I find something I like in flower then I have a clone of that plant to move forward with.
Small pots are fine while you are evaluating but you will have to pot up for flower or you will be watering three times a day! I don't post much but I just wanted to show you that one persons dislike of cloning should not put you off. Some people just keep popping seeds on a neverending quest. Ask yourse;lf what will they do when they find the holy grail of weedplants. They are going to let it slip away. If you are cloning you have it forever!
Why would a plant from clone finish flowering earlier than a seed ?

Virgil

Germinating
User ID
@Old fox All i can say is try it. Grow a seedplant, take a clone off it. When it has rooted put them both into flower and see which one finishes first. https://www.rollitup.org/t/clones-flowering-much-quicker-than-from-seed.853690/ You can find examples of this all over the net. The other reason to use clones is that they get better with time and my opinion is it is very difficult to evaluate a seedplant unless you let it fully mature before flowering. By taking clones from a 6 month old mother you are shortening the flowering time and growing a superior product as it improves each run.

Last edited:

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID

Virgil

Germinating
User ID
@Old fox Maybe you are not growing sativa dominant plants. There is also less difference if the seedplant has been grown to sexual maturity, ie, it is 8 weeks or more of age. When dealing with long flowering sativas though, they can often take 10-12 weeks to show sex (reach maturity) under vegetative conditions. So it is quicker and easier to take a few clones. If you can throw one clone straight into flowering to determine sex the rest can be used for your actual flowering run once rooted and one kept as a mother plant. This is why we have gone to the trouble of growing multiple plants, to select something that is special. At this point many people turf out the seedplant and start the run with that uniform group of clones. Remembering a rooted sativa clone can still finish anywhere from 4-6 feet tall under optimal conditions.
I really have to take exception with your OP. Your advice is leaning towards making people dependent on seeds. If you can clone a superior plant and fill a room with said plant (and by the way this is the way the pro's do it) then surely you are better off. More uniform, better product. Hello!

Last edited:

ShellzShuff3

Vegetating
User ID
I have a different take on clones. Clones are super helpful. When you grow a plant from seed especially sativa dominant strains they take longer to flower from the seedplant. Upto two weeks longer. So clones finish flowering earlier. That is one bonus. Plus you cannot evaluate a plant until you have run it several times. So the second and third runs from clone will be important in telling you how the plant will behave as a clone. Seedplants get massive (especially sativas), you can put a just rooted clone into flower and finish with a plant that is 5-6 feet tall. Some seedplants you have to bend to keep under the lights, or grow them off to the side as sativas prefer less light anyway. Many people take clones of their sativas, flower one clone to determine sex. Toss out the seedplant and clone from the other clone. The way I do it is to take clones, as soon as they are rooted I toss the seedplants into flower. If I find something I like in flower then I have a clone of that plant to move forward with and I do not have to re-veg, which some strains do not like, some will not do and is generally a sloppy way to go about things.
Really good food for thought too - thanks Virgil.

At the least, I've decided to set a second light and either small tent or use a wardrobe. I will certainly to try as you suggest, as well as the seeds into veg tent then flower tent.

I've got at least 12-14 more years of kids at home so I need to keep the grow space very discreet in a tiny space. I can't wait for either it to be legalised or the kids to be at an age where I don't give a shit and I can move to a bedroom/loungeroom/everyroom

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
@Old fox Maybe you are not growing sativa dominant plants. There is also less difference if the seedplant has been grown to sexual maturity, ie, it is 8 weeks or more of age. When dealing with long flowering sativas though, they can often take 10-12 weeks to show sex (reach maturity) under vegetative conditions. So it is quicker and easier to take a few clones. If you can throw one clone straight into flowering to determine sex the rest can be used for your actual flowering run once rooted and one kept as a mother plant. This is why we have gone to the trouble of growing multiple plants, to select something that is special. At this point many people turf out the seedplant and start the run with that uniform group of clones. Remembering a rooted sativa clone can still finish anywhere from 4-6 feet tall under optimal conditions.
I really have to take exception with your OP. Your advice is leaning towards making people dependent on seeds. If you can clone a superior plant and fill a room with said plant (and by the way this is the way the pro's do it) then surely you are better off. More uniform, better product. Hello!
Mate, reread my original post if you take exception. You have been on the site for 10 minutes. You haven't posted a single picture of your grow. You just changed your story from clones finish flowering faster than seeds, to only long flowering sativa clones flower faster than seeds. Why would anyone believe you? At least put a picture up of your grow, if you want to educate us mere mortals that prefer to grow from seed, and enjoy variety in taste/smell.

Virgil

Germinating
User ID
@Old fox

Surely we can try to help without posting pictures.
Does this mean only people with pictures posted can have opinions?
I didn't see that in the site rules, maybe you could enlighten me as to where I can see the hidden rules.

You don't have to agree of course, but wiser heads than mine came up with the idea of selecting for quality and then replicating that in clone form. Not suggesting anything radical just standard practice in the industry. It often takes a few runs to dial your pheno in. You can have a keeper and still be looking for the next one as well you know.

How long I have been on the site is of no consequence to me, maybe it is to you. Each to their own I like to say. People should be able to judge from what I am saying that I have been at this quite a while. 30+ years.
I can take exception with your suggestion without taking exception with you personally. Or at least I should be able to.
I also mentioned sativas in my first post.
Not trying to mislead anybody here, just stating my opinions. Ones that save money and lead to good quality.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Yep there's only 1 problem with your theory that the pro's do

I got a funny feeling you're rehashing something you've read or heard

One reason ppl grow out from seed is obviously variety , hut there is also another reason , you certainly don't want to go through all of that just to find that you've just spent the last 4 or 6 months cloning a batch of useless hermies

One reason the " pros " clone a Stable plant that has been grown out to full maturity ensuring it has the desired traits and doesn't hermie , now I know a lot of the pros don't do this because they sell fem or reg seeds that are indeed hermies , so they probably do exactly what you suggested

After all they don't give a fuck it's all commercially grown for profit or seeded for profit

A true pro would grow out the mother and a female of the father to full maturity, just to make sure they had desired traits and none unwanted traits , then would combine both strains obtaining seeds , which in turn would be grown to full maturity

If a a good sample of these seeds were tested , found to be successful and carry desired traits and most of all is stable

Then you would be safe to clone , assuming seeds you buy from any vendor is stable could be a very costly assumption on your part

The OP that you tried to school is that far in front of where you are assuming his journey is at you made a fool of yourself

To assume the community needed your valuable input was again a bit silly on your part , to assume that there isn't a active pollen checking group , that is pumping out some quite outstanding gear would again be silly on your part

So thanks for the lesson but as old fox said , how about you put up some pics of your "pro" set-up

By yhe way here's a pic of a bud from 1 of old fox's fem seed program, which I have 2 running about 4 weeks into flower

This what you are aiming for , a stable fem seed that has amazing trich count already frosty as a snowman

So before you lecture someone , you might want to check out their profile/ diary etc beforehand

Attachments

• 20230217_181638.jpg
    20230217_181638.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230217_181614.jpg
    20230217_181614.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 16

Virgil

Germinating
User ID
@Madmick 'A true pro would grow out the mother and a female of the father to full maturity, just to make sure they had desired traits and none unwanted traits , then would combine both strains obtaining seeds , which in turn would be grown to full maturity' You would have to have taken clones to do this though, or please explain how without re-vegging.
All of us learn from expereince and to some extent just re-hash what we have learnt in the past. I am not singular in this respect. Sorry if it sounds re-hashed possibly it is genuine and you are misinterpreting it. I certaiunly did not copy it from a book verbatim.
If you read my last post I address the need for variety in the continued search for another keeper. I have had plants hermie on the seed run but not on the clone run. If I tossed that I would have tossed a keeper. The herm was my fault for leaving the door open. As for what follows the bit I quoted in your last post without being rude friend you are confused. The process you are describing would take forever.

Many people on this forum complaining how hard it is to get seed, this is one way to conserve it.

But I admit auto's and feminised seed are probobly not worth the effort of cloning based purely on quality and time vs effort.

If I choose not to post pictures of my grow that is up to me. Pressure from you will make no difference. This is schoolyard behaviour.

Last edited:

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
@Madmick 'A true pro would grow out the mother and a female of the father to full maturity, just to make sure they had desired traits and none unwanted traits , then would combine both strains obtaining seeds , which in turn would be grown to full maturity' You would have to have taken clones to do this though, or please explain how without re-vegging. All of us learn from expereince and to some extent just re-hash what we have learnt in the past. I am n ot singular in this respect. Sorry if it sounds re-hashed possibly it is genuine and you are misinterpreting it. I certaiunly did not copy it from a book verbatim. If you read my last post I address the need for variety in the continued search for another keeper. I have plants hermie on the seed run but not on the clone run. If I tossed that I would have tossed a keeper. The herm was my fault for leaving the door open. As for what follows the bit I quoted in your last post without being rude friend you are confused.

Many people on this forum complaining how hard it is to get seed, this is one way to conserve it.

But I admit auto's and feminised seed are probobly not worth the effort of cloning based purely on quality and time vs effort.

If I choose not to post pictures of my grow that is up to me. Pressure from you will make no difference. This is schoolyard behaviour.
Anyone can say anything on the interwebs, so I take it all with a grain of salt. If you put up some photos of the work you're doing, it might validate your comments. Otherwise we can't be certain you're not a 16 year old school kid who has never grown before, providing Google cut and paste responses. Oh, and yes, without sharing photos you have zero credibility. Especially as you're talking a lot of nonsense. Plenty. ( in fact most) of international breeders are cloning females. Even established old school Dutch breeders

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
@Old fox All i can say is try it. Grow a seedplant, take a clone off it. When it has rooted put them both into flower and see which one finishes first. https://www.rollitup.org/t/clones-flowering-much-quicker-than-from-seed.853690/ You can find examples of this all over the net. The other reason to use clones is that they get better with time and my opinion is it is very difficult to evaluate a seedplant unless you let it fully mature before flowering. By taking clones from a 6 month old mother you are shortening the flowering time and growing a superior product as it improves each run.
So your saying the flower period is shorter for clones than plants from seed??
I would agree clones from a more mature mother will flower better than small unmature seed plants but in my experience is all the clones I have run the flowering length or 12/12 has been the same!!

Top Bottom