Hash Making

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Where is best for me to start...?
Your best/easiest start is going to be QWISO (Quick Wash Isopropanol). Then set up a bain marie to evaporate the excess iso.

Why quick wash? You can leave it to soak for a week+ but the longer you leave it to soak the more chlorophyll (green) will be extracted from the plant material. You don't want that green.

The alcohol is your extraction fluid, the trichomes will dissolve in the iso. Then you need to remove ALL of the iso, leaving you with oil. By using a bain marie (water bath) to evaporate the iso the temperature won't get above 100C and this helps protect the cannabinoids from heat degradation during the extraction process. A rice cooker does a similar thing, evaporates the iso, but the temps can get higher than that 100C, so you have to keep a close eye on it not to heat it too much.

You want... ...no, you NEED to remove ALL of the iso. To do this, right at the end of the evaporating process, I add a teaspoon of water. Iso boils at around 83C, by adding the water it allows the temp to rise to 100C, for a short period. This will remove the last of the iso and any other impurities that boil off between 83-100C. Once the water has gone, ALL of the iso has gone too, giving you a cleaner oil.

Hope it helps.
P.S: A closed loop system recycles ALL of the evaporated iso and if you are looking at making gallons of oil, it could be worth the expense to recycle the iso by buying a MERLIN system, but otherwise just use the Merl1n method. Much cheaper.

Last edited:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Guess it’s dry now. Doesn’t look like much to me. But I dunno how much to expect really.
Anyway. Now the hard part trying to get off. Should have put down baking paper as suggested but it was probably too late.
Anyway I’ll see if the freezer will help it crack off or something.
View attachment 36543
Looks good.
A little bit of heat to soften it and a razor blade or Stanley blade will help scrape it up.

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
Your best/easiest start is going to be QWISO (Quick Wash Isopropanol). Then set up a bain marie to evaporate the excess iso.

Why quick wash? You can leave it to soak for a week+ but the longer you leave it to soak the more chlorophyll (green) will be extracted from the plant material. You don't want that green.

The alcohol is your extraction fluid, the trichomes will dissolve in the iso. Then you need to remove ALL of the iso, leaving you with oil. By using a bain marie (water bath) to evaporate the iso the temperature won't get above 100C and this helps protect the cannabinoids from heat degradation during the extraction process. A rice cooker does a similar thing, evaporates the iso, but the temps can get higher than that 100C, so you have to keep a close eye on it not to heat it too much.

You want... ...no, you NEED to remove ALL of the iso. To do this, right at the end of the evaporating process, I add a teaspoon of water. Iso boils at around 83C, by adding the water it allows the temp to rise to 100C, for a short period. This will remove the last of the iso and any other impurities that boil off between 83-100C. Once the water has gone, ALL of the iso has gone too, giving you a cleaner oil.

Hope it helps.
P.S: A closed loop system recycles ALL of the evaporated iso and if you are looking at making gallons of oil, it could be worth the expense to recycle the iso by buying a MERLIN system, but otherwise just use the Merl1n method. Much cheaper.
Thanks for that @Merl1n
I'm keen as mustard to have a crack , GOTTA ,doc said , smoking is all over in my life / time 🤔

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID

Hope it helps.
If I'm gunna do this I'm gunna have to just fkn do it , fkn spewing I wanted to smoke this bitch , gunna be a rattler 😜 can't imagine making ounces of butter , too fatning

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-07-11-41-57-50_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-07-11-41-57-50_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 7

snapper

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I do this too. Sometimes twice.
Great advice

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Where does a man score ISO ? 🤌 👍
DO NOT be gettin it from Bunnings $15 for a 500ml spray bottle o_O :eek: 🤬
I get mine from an electronics wholesaler, not a Tandys or DickSmith but a store that sells resistors and capacitors etc. It's used in electronics industry to clean circuit boards before soldering. 2ltr for $30 last time I bought it.
Cleaning chemical wholesalers also stock it for industrial cleaning. You get it by the drum full, not sure on cost.

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
If I'm gunna do this I'm gunna have to just fkn do it , fkn spewing I wanted to smoke this bitch , gunna be a rattler 😜 can't imagine making ounces of butter , too fatning
WTF No, no, no. Don't be going and buying anything.
A bane marie is simply a heated waterbath. Just use a pot of water and a glass bowl on top. That's a simple home kitchen bane marie. It's a gentler heat than an element and being that the water ain't going to get hotter than 100C anyway it ain't going to burn away. The other thing using a waterbath, it heats all of the water and therefore the whole surface of the glass bowl at the same time.

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Drysift is much cleaner and easier. I've made a few hash tumblers, just set and forget, 1/2hr and I have a nice pile of hash🤪
The hash is good but it's nice to have a bit of variety to be able to mix'n'match to my medical needs.
I've got hash, oil, rum tincture and bud all of differing strains and I use PRN (as required). It depends on my activity too. If I have plans that day, I stay away from the hash or the oil, they weld my arse to the lounge. That's a night choof. The bud is my primary 'go to', but again I have a variety of buds to choose from. Medically, IMHO, if it works for you, that's what you use.

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Drysift is much cleaner and easier. I've made a few hash tumblers, just set and forget, 1/2hr and I have a nice pile of hash🤪
The hash is good but it's nice to have a bit of variety to be able to mix'n'match to my medical needs.
I've got hash, oil, rum tincture and bud all of differing strains and I use PRN (as required). It depends on my activity too. If I have plans that day, I stay away from the hash or the oil, they weld my arse to the lounge. That's a night choof. The bud is my primary 'go to', but again I have a variety of buds to choose from. Medically, IMHO, if it works for you, that's what you use.
Yeah I like the idea of that. I’m not a big consumer by any means. Daytime once a eeek at the most. Usually not at all in the day. Just when I get a rare day off from looking after people.
But variety is good. Especially when I get tolerance to one thing.

But yeah. Shake or whatever is so much less messy and simple.

What I’ve now done with the qwisol is dissolved again in some more isol and lines a smaller Pyrex container lined with baking paper. When evaporated again will be easier to handle.

Jeeze the smell of alcohol is a little hard for an alcoholic ( sober) to smell I tell ya ;)

Top Bottom