Scott's premium seed and cutting mix

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
So I thought I'd give a cheap bagged mix another go and see if my progress is from general care improvement or the mix I've been working on. Pinched a 25L bag of Scott's premium seed/cutting mix from me neighbour to put it to the test.
Screenshot_2023-03-16-14-28-43-15.png
The mix is very uniform and fine. A mix of Coco, composted forest products, propagation sand and gypsum with added calcium, phosphorus and water crystals. By far the most uniform mix I have used, and I'm not sure if it's going to lead to any compacting or hydrophobia in the future.
IMG20230221233400.jpgIMG20230221233429.jpg
Have three black lime reserve/super lemon dragon freebies in the mix now at day 18 and they seem to be going well (4.5L pots ATM with 20% perlite and 10% vermiculite).
IMG_20230316_125829.jpg
A quick slurry test shows medium pH around 6.2 which is pretty good.

Has a pretty much identical consistency to the yard soil/Coco and compost mix I've been conjuring up, so watering frequency seems the same.

Will be going into 5 gallon square pots in a week or two. Will be interesting to see how it fares over time. Will probably just feed throw some powerfeed purple when the time comes.

Overall a nice product from what I can see, and definitely to my surprise.

Last edited:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I lied. They are in 3.3L pots, not 4.5L and going well so far. Have been feeding AC water so there hasn't been much input when it comes to micros. Probably another week in these pots and they'll be ready for flip. No compacting or hydrophobia. Nice and fluffy on top still.
IMG_20230322_094858.jpg
One in the middle looks to be a male though.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Seems like the Scott's mix is fine so far going on a month in 3L pots with no feed yet. Plants sucking the 3L pots dry daily though. Hoping they show sex soon so I can throw any fems in 5 gal squares and ditch the males for space.
IMG20230327111515.jpg

Last edited:

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Yeah looking super healthy VinD, interested to see how it goes!
Same. I'm waiting for that wall to hit pretty soon if I don't get them Into bigger pots, but all in all I haven't noticed any difference from the mix I've been working on.

Also Good to see that smaller 3L pots will sustain fine for four-six weeks without feed. I've always been so quick to either move to a 3 gal pot around week two, or just start straight into 3-5 gal pots..

Kinda comes in handy running regs now, especially with smaller tents and the need to run 3-6 plants to get 2-3 fems. Don't need to go through any more than 12-18L of medium over the first 4-6wks.

Tbh, I've had pretty much identical results in the past with cheap Scott's mix compared to $40-50 bags of soil, but I figured it was just my growing style.

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I remember someone on ozstoners did a similar test to show some members it’s not as complicated as they might believe. Can’t recall what potting mix he used but was from Bunnings and had good results.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I remember someone on ozstoners did a similar test to show some members it’s not as complicated as they might believe. Can’t recall what potting mix he used but was from Bunnings and had good results.
I've seen a few posts like that and boy do they start a divide lol. Ive always overcomplicated shit indoors, which took me by surprise as I grew outdoors for a few years prior with nothing but seasol, powerfeed and my garden bed. I don't know when the overcomplication kicked in, but I'm pretty sure it was all the ludicrous colours and marketing as I have a shopping addiction.

Once you gave the chance and ability to quantify and control everything indoors I find we all tend to inflate our own egos with bizarre rituals that probably aren't needed.

I've gone full back to basics lately and I find the results to be exactly the same. Kinda makes me feel like a bit if a doofus when I started rocking $50 bags of medium, $140 sets of feed and all this jazz upon my introduction indoors, and still turned out worse results than I do now in yard soil/Coco and a single tbsp of slow release.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
I've seen a few posts like that and boy do they start a divide lol. Ive always overcomplicated shit indoors, which took me by surprise as I grew outdoors for a few years prior with nothing but seasol, powerfeed and my garden bed. I don't know when the overcomplication kicked in, but I'm pretty sure it was all the ludicrous colours and marketing as I have a shopping addiction.

Once you gave the chance and ability to quantify and control everything indoors I find we all tend to inflate our own egos with bizarre rituals that probably aren't needed.

I've gone full back to basics lately and I find the results to be exactly the same. Kinda makes me feel like a bit if a doofus when I started rocking $50 bags of medium, $140 sets of feed and all this jazz upon my introduction indoors, and still turned out worse results than I do now in yard soil/Coco and a single tbsp of slow release.
Yeah next run I'm going to try to grow a plant in perlite and feed it nothing but Charlie carp in veg and Charlie carp and a pk boost in flower!!
Works out to be less than 1/8 the cost of bottles from the hydro shop and simple as fuck at 30ml per 10lt if I remember!!
According to the bottle it has the 12 necessary elements for all plants!!
See how I go!!

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Yeah next run I'm going to try to grow a plant in perlite and feed it nothing but Charlie carp in veg and Charlie carp and a pk boost in flower!!
Works out to be less than 1/8 the cost of bottles from the hydro shop and simple as fuck at 30ml per 10lt if I remember!!
According to the bottle it has the 12 necessary elements for all plants!!
See how I go!!
ill follow along for sure. I love a good experimental grow. I've ran straight brunnings coco (maybe 10% perlite as it's all I had) with powerfeed and it actually went pretty well feeding to runoff once a week, and then alternating top/bottom feeds of water. I'll see if I have any pics of the plant still.

Sooner or later ill be throwing a seed in a pot of park dirt and sprinkling some water on it salt bae style and hoping for the best considering my sudden obsession with minimalism.

Come to think of it, Redback Landcaping does 20kg bags (60Lish) of screened mineral soil. I might start using that as a base, add some perlite and go full hobo grow. Feed some peters excel. Basically get 500-1000L of feed for $8 all up.

Stack that cream.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
ill follow along for sure. I love a good experimental grow. I've ran straight brunnings coco (maybe 10% perlite as it's all I had) with powerfeed and it actually went pretty well feeding to runoff once a week, and then alternating top/bottom feeds of water. I'll see if I have any pics of the plant still.

Sooner or later ill be throwing a seed in a pot of park dirt and sprinkling some water on it salt bae style and hoping for the best considering my sudden obsession with minimalism.

Come to think of it, Redback Landcaping does 20kg bags (60Lish) of screened mineral soil. I might start using that as a base, add some perlite and go full hobo grow. Feed some peters excel. Basically get 500-1000L of feed for $8 all up.

Stack that cream.
Yeah I've done quite a few experiments with grows. All of them have been failures!! 🤣

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
One male down. Threw the other two in 4 gallon squares of Scott's seed and cutting, but ones already looking male which is no good. Currently with regs, only 1 out of 5 or 6 have been fem. Im hoping the last one is a fem so I can rock a 2 out of 7 ratio lol.
IMG_20230331_082603.jpg
No npk feed yet, but they were watered in with 2ml/L seasol and 2ml/L multicrop ecoboost liquid compost.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
OK I'm curios , why does 1 look like male ?

It either it is or it isn't, had plenty of time to sex correctly by now
Your on it. Sharp as a tack. It is male..I'm just being obtuse and stubborn as I'm in denial of my shitty luck. Sometimes I just hope they'll magically transition. That one's going to me mums tomorrow.
IMG_20230331_103627.jpg

The one on the left. The right hasn't shown any pre flowers, but I'll grab some pics later as it's the only one left in the tent now.

Last edited:

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Your on it. Sharp as a tack. It is male..I'm just being obtuse and stubborn as I'm in denial of my shitty luck. Sometimes I just hope they'll magically transition. That one's going to me mums tomorrow.
View attachment 33416

The one on the left. The right hasn't shown any pre flowers, but I'll grab some pics later as it's the only one left in the tent now.
Use female seeds to avoid that problem. It is 2023, and feminised seeds have been effectively used throughout the world for the last few decades. 7East breeder reckons he's experienced about 7-8% hermies when playing with females. That's bugger all, and much better than than 50% ( sometimes more) males in a reg packet. Ive seen a similar argument before, as LED lights took over from shitty HPS. Same old shitty growers with their antiquated views, will of course dribble shit about using males for last 40 years ......blah, blah, blah, blah,dribble. Nobody buys watermelon with seeds anymore. Buyers also prefer seedless oranges and mandarins. Cannabis will eventually go the same way. Tissue culture will take over from cannabis seeds in foreseeable future.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Use female seeds to avoid that problem. It is 2023, and feminised seeds have been effectively used throughout the world for the last few decades. 7East breeder reckons he's experienced about 7-8% hermies when playing with females. That's bugger all, and much better than than 50% ( sometimes more) males in a reg packet. Ive seen a similar argument before, as LED lights took over from shitty HPS. Same old shitty growers with their antiquated views, will of course dribble shit about using males for last 40 years ......blah, blah, blah, blah,dribble. Nobody buys watermelon with seeds anymore. Buyers also prefer seedless oranges and mandarins. Cannabis will eventually go the same way. Tissue culture will take over from cannabis seeds in foreseeable future.
Been running fems for a few years so I figured I'd give a sponsor a try and go some regs. No big loss as I enjoy all of it, the ups and downs and at the end of the day it's always a blessing to watch anything grow. A male wouldn't go astray as I have a strains here I wouldn't mind haphazardly chucking with in the future. Just took an interest in the strain. All part of the game I suppose.

Every few couple of runs I'll go back to the old regs from Nepal here just to throw a spanner in the works and Make me appreciate the smooth sailing lol.

Top Bottom