Soil growers advice please

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Hudo

Baked
User ID
What's everyone's thoughts on this have I been using the wrong stuff on my vegy patch for all these years

Worm Leachate vs. Worm Tea in Short​

Worm leachate is the extra water inside your worm bin that seeps to the bottom. It does not go through the digestive tract of worms which has the beneficial microbes that make a good liquid fertilizer. It is rarely good for your plants and can actually be harmful. If your bin regularly has a lot of worm seepage, the conditions are likely too wet.

Worm tea is made from worm castings. This is the good stuff that you want to use to fertilize your plants!

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
yep never had much luck ever using leachate from my worm bin although you can dilute it allot to not get a negative effect , the leachate from each worm farm could be more or less concentrated & your worm bin doesn't have to be too wet to have leachate at the bottom of the bin

worm tea or worm castings extract or compost extract is the shit

compost tea Vs compost extract

compost tea is made by adding compost / castings to a bucket of water along with some food like molasses , fish hydrolysate or a number of other food possibilities & aerating the contents of the bucket for a period of time for the purpose of multiplying the organisms & other items like glues , best use of a tea is as a foliar spray which will stick to leaves because of the glues , (it can still be used as a soil drench) the benefits are many , google will give you a list of benefits , Dr Elaine Ingham is one person to listen too for the ins & outs of compost tea making , use & benefits

compost extract is made by adding compost / castings to a paint straining bag & adding the bag to a bucket of water , once in the water you massage the contents of the bag by hand to extract the organisms into the water , best use of a extract is as a soil drench , google will give you a list of benefits & once again Dr Ingham has a vast knowledge on the subject

Sticky67

Curing
User ID
I got a pack of the Bardee slow release pellets and fast release powdered black soldier fly frass and it looks nice, I thought it would be really dry but it's got a bit of moisture in it, it looks like it would break down quite quickly. I downloaded the npk and what's in it and it seems OK..next run..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230613_115443_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230613_115443_Drive.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 14

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I've seen this before

Possibly too much p and or k in the mix

One other thing I've seen cause this is heat , but I don't imagine that's the problem this time of yr
Just been reading through and you may have been onto somthing with that Mick. Since this thread I have discovered canna bio has the same NPK in veg and flower and is high in K

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Is calcium normally that high with other nutrient brands? This one says 8.6,%, which is 2.5 times higher than its Nitrogen volume. Seems high?

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
8.6% calcium is a good number. It should be in way higher amounts than nitrogen in soil anyway so as a general all purpose, this is a good ratio.
Ok, thanks. Do you know why it's not considered to be a macro nutrient like NPK? Given its the highest value, I wonder why it's grouped as a micro nutrient? Assuming a plant uptakes roughly 2.5 times the amount of calcium to nitrogen, if we're supplying it for plants to use via the medium in that high ratio. Is it just a cannabis specific high calcium need, or do most " general purpose" fertilisers also include much higher calcium to nitrogen ratios?

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Ok, thanks. Do you know why it's not considered to be a macro nutrient like NPK? Given its the highest value, I wonder why it's grouped as a micro nutrient? Assuming a plant uptakes roughly 2.5 times the amount of calcium to nitrogen, if we're supplying it for plants to use via the medium in that high ratio. Is it just a cannabis specific high calcium need, or do most " general purpose" fertilisers also include much higher calcium to nitrogen ratios?
I've always wondered the same as I've got a few organic slow release products here that are 3:1:3 but roughly 9% calcium and the other is 4:2:2 with 12% calcium. Anither here has 2.5% nitrogen, 9% Ca and 8% S as well.

I've noticed this mainly in slow release products, not so much immediate nutrients..

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I've always wondered the same as I've got a few organic slow release products here that are 3:1:3 but roughly 9% calcium and the other is 4:2:2 with 12% calcium. Anither here has 2.5% nitrogen, 9% Ca and 8% S as well.

I've noticed this mainly in slow release products, not so much immediate nutrients..
By definition it should be a macro nutrient, surely. I mean why supply the high ratio of calcium into medium, unless plant uptakes it. I've never paid attention to ratios below NPK, as I "mistakenly" understood that macro nutrients would be the most important. Not that it changes anything I'll use, as I always buy the cheapest base nute brand I can get at the time. As my plants don't notice any difference between expensive and cheap nutes.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
Plants need a lot of calcium to form cell walls, cell membranes, help uptake of other nutrients... Honestly not sure why it's called a secondary macro.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID

This is generally the ratio you will see in tissue as well as soil.

Top Bottom