Soil growers advice please

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Ive mentioned before my soil growing skills are non existent. But the more I research the more I'm liking the idea, especially know I'm working away more I wouldn't have to rely on mates who know jack about hydro nuts to look after them. Question 1. Super soil v's living soil and why
2. ive been watching Mr Kunucks grow on YouTube anyone know of an equivalent to that Gaia green shit he uses 4-4-4 and 2-8-4 because I'm to impatient to wait for the soil to cook and it seems to be readily available . cheers

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I’ve jumped into soil too. I’m using 40L wicking planters which make them very low maintenance.

Used gro dirt lite from High Powered Organics and really liked the results.

I think the key with soil is container size. If you are in small pots the microbiological life just doesn’t have the room to do its thing. But if you have room then grab the biggest containers you can.

I looked into the grassroots fabric beds too and still may grab one but time, budget, kids etc so didn’t end up going that route.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I’ve jumped into soil too. I’m using 40L wicking planters which make them very low maintenance.

Used gro dirt lite from High Powered Organics and really liked the results.

I think the key with soil is container size. If you are in small pots the microbiological life just doesn’t have the room to do its thing. But if you have room then grab the biggest containers you can.

I looked into the grassroots fabric beds too and still may grab one but time, budget, kids etc so didn’t end up going that route.
Cheers I'm thinking less pla ts but bigger next run maybe 6 with min 80l pots

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Nice size. What kind of pots?
I haven't dived that deep yet that's why I want recommendations. All my dismal soil attempts have been 30L pots which clearly isn't enough and I've had to feed em hydro juice to get across the line. And that Mr canucks grow gets awsome results using Gaia green organics even just in coco it works great but of course we can't get it here and I'm not schooled up enough on fertilisers to mix my own equivalent

Sticky67

Curing
User ID
@Hudo have a look on Dr greenthumbs website they have some great products and some great vids of how to use the products. I haven't used them as yet but it might be something that will help you. Or as Aye said high powered organics have some good stuff also..

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Ive mentioned before my soil growing skills are non existent. But the more I research the more I'm liking the idea, especially know I'm working away more I wouldn't have to rely on mates who know jack about hydro nuts to look after them. Question 1. Super soil v's living soil and why
2. ive been watching Mr Kunucks grow on YouTube anyone know of an equivalent to that Gaia green shit he uses 4-4-4 and 2-8-4 because I'm to impatient to wait for the soil to cook and it seems to be readily available . cheers
Don't waste ya money on pre made soil! Go to ya local landscaping place and get some quality blended soil!
Add some manure and a bit of shroom compost!!
I've used Dr Greenthumbs soil and didn't think much of it! I've used @Donothing-garden and it's much better than Dr Greenthumbs!!

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Don't waste ya money on pre made soil! Go to ya local landscaping place and get some quality blended soil!
Add some manure and a bit of shroom compost!!
I've used Dr Greenthumbs soil and didn't think much of it! I've used @Donothing-garden and it's much better than Dr Greenthumbs!!
yeah I used easy as for an experiment last round but half arsed it (small pot) first couple weeks was dynamite then stalled when it out grew the pot. finished it off with coco nutes

Hudo

Baked
User ID
@Hudo have a look on Dr greenthumbs website they have some great products and some great vids of how to use the products. I haven't used them as yet but it might be something that will help you. Or as Aye said high powered organics have some good stuff also..
thanks mate I always thought they were yanks got a surprise to hear an Aussie accent

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
the original super soil that subcool championed wasn't something you could plant direct into , you would need to use a lite soil mix as a buffer between plant roots ( at transplant ) & the super soil , the idea was the transplanted plant would get more mature before roots would venture into the hotter soil plus the micro life would have already started to consume & convert all the amendments into a plant available form , the micro life consuming organic matter is the key to a living & super soils performance & the key to that organic matter consumption by soil life like worms is moisture , if the soil drys consumption stops which means plant food is not available , this is why SIP's or wicking planters that @Aye Shroomer is using make sense because the moisture is consistent , as far as handing your grow over to someone else , they would only need to fill the pots reservoir when it was very close to empty ( using the shower cap / plastic mulch cover will be of benefit to moisture consistency as well ) blumats would also be handy to moisture consistency & babysitters only having to keep a reservoir filled

@Donothing-garden has a amendment mix i'm sure greenthumbs would have a similar product but i would suggest both would benefit from being mixed with compost or worm castings then used as a top dress , & both would need " cooking " time , in a soil mix , i understand your impatient but soil life will not work to your schedule unfortunately mate , that gaia stuff would be $100au for 2kg the oz stuff mentioned above would be half the price for the same size , i have no idea about this gaia stuff or the youtube guy you mentioned , it would def be a good idea to contact the oz suppliers mentioned for more info on there products

Hudo

Baked
User ID
, & both would need " cooking " time , in a soil mix , i understand your impatient but soil life will not work to your schedule unfortunately mate ,
Thanks mate . I'm into first week of flip so if I get it sorted this week I can get somthing cooking for the next 8 weeks or so. The plan would be do half in my Hempy set up and run some 80L pots of some sort so if I fuck it up I will have the hempy side to fall back on 😆

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
good thinking not to put all your eggs in one basket

soil choice is a little bit of a critical area , personally I'd be talking to @Donothing-garden about his soil & paying for a quality mix that you'll continue to re amend & re use rather than a cheaper garden supply soil mix which in most cases will turn hard & sandy very quickly imho , honestly there is no comparison between the 2 & you def get what you pay for

also consider using blumats in those 80ltr pots & @Donothing-garden is the man to speak with as he has just been to a conference where there was a bit of talk about blumats by Sustainable village i think it was in the US

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Thanks mate . I'm into first week of flip so if I get it sorted this week I can get somthing cooking for the next 8 weeks or so. The plan would be do half in my Hempy set up and run some 80L pots of some sort so if I fuck it up I will have the hempy side to fall back on 😆
You guna run 80lt pots inside?
Fuck hope ya not planning on moving them! Unless your into worlds strongest man or something! 🤣

Hudo

Baked
User ID
You guna run 80lt pots inside?
Fuck hope ya not planning on moving them! Unless your into worlds strongest man or something! 🤣
Yeah if I go down the soil route I don't want to have any dramas a d I'm hoping to use them multiple times

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I sell 100L Grassroots Living Soil Fabric Pots... Awesome results in those things.
thanks mate ill have a look, my local grow shop stocks your soil I tried to have a dabble last round with 50L I had one cranking in 10 L pot to start with but @Sedge mango cross's took over my room and I couldn't fit it in with a big volume pot so I had to finish in the small pot and fed it coco nutes to get it home

Top Bottom