Hash Making

Tugboat

Vegetating
User ID
Always keen to do a tumbler, but my stoned lazy arse just wants to buy one! 😀...

Any recommendations?😃

Or a simple diy project, been saving my BBQ rotisserie for 5 years now! 😃
+1 on this … I been holding onto to a hardly used rotisserie motor for about the same amount of time with this in mind also 🤣

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
OK, so if you've got the BBQ rotisserie, you're halfway there. When you say you've 'saved one' which parts have you saved?
If you have the drive, the shaft and the firebox, it's real easy.
All you need is a bit of PVC sewer pipe, a couple of end caps and the fabric and you're set. I use screen printing mesh.
I did a bit of a 'how-to' on O.S., to make one, but that's all gone. I must still have the images somewhere here, let me see what I can find...

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
OK, so if you've got the BBQ rotisserie, you're halfway there. When you say you've 'saved one' which parts have you saved?
If you have the drive, the shaft and the firebox, it's real easy.
have all the above...

what size pvc and size micron mesh ya reckon?

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
For the PVC, it needs to fit within the firebox. For mine that's 150mm diameter tube. I then cut the sides out of the tube, leaving 2 strips of the PVC in place to hold the ends. I cover those holes with the mesh. Then force the endcaps on holding the mesh in place.
HINT: Initially I used 2 soild end caps, but holding the mesh in place and forcing the end off and on was a pain in the ass. I got a screw on end cap fitting. The housing keeps the mesh in place and the screw cap makes it heaps easier for loading.
In the base of the firebox I have a piece of stainless steel to collect the crystals.
Another hint: Making a shroud for over the top of the tumbler is also a good idea cos the crystals float in the air. My house cleaner (aka wife) was less than impressed ::eek::mad:

It turns slowly, so being exactly in the middle of the ends isn't of too much importance, but to keep the hole square to hold the square shaft, I found the easiest way was to heat the end of the rotisserie shaft up and melt the hole through the end caps.

As for the mesh I use a 120 micron for the bulk collection, then a 90 and a 75 to refine.
P.S. My shed is a fuckin mess... ...I can see the tumbler... I just can't get to it easily, hence my write up minus photos :ROFLMAO: ;) :ROFLMAO: but I will grab some pics when I can climb in and get it.

Last edited:

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
Onya Merl!

Anybody know Where do you find loose micron screens?

I have tried art shops n printing places but to no avail, did find some on ebay, but from China, end of March delivery but!

Was hoping for a shopfront so I can just walk in and get it...

Edit: new bit of gear for bubble hash making..
20230125_093411.jpg

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Onya Merl!

Anybody know Where do you find loose micron screens?

I have tried art shops n printing places but to no avail, did find some on ebay, but from China, end of March delivery but!

Was hoping for a shopfront so I can just walk in and get it...

Edit: new bit of gear for bubble hash making..
View attachment 30198
Spotlight should have the mesh mate!!

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
Found these, bit expensive but...😲

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Probably about the going rate these days. When i was looking a while ago, i noticed screen printers referred to their screens in a different grading system where they use a "T", like 32T or something. There's probably a conversion chart to reference between "T to Micron". But i gave up soon after because couldn't figure out what "T" represented.

I'd spare the fuck around and go with the bubblebag mob, lol.

Also noticed they have a pre-made bag that probably suits your lil' washing machine too, dotts. Might be worth considering, even though they want $65 for it.

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
I got my mesh from a Screen Printing Wholesaler, in Adelaide, but that was years ago and they've now closed.
I have found a mob, but they're in WA https://www.screenprintingsupplies.com.au/
You can use bubblebags, but it's a bloody expensive way to do it. Much cheaper to buy the fabric separately.
The best you'll find in Spotlight is something like mesh curtain material, but that's nowhere near fine enough.

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Ok, so I went climbing and got the tumbler out and took some pics
First off we have 150mm PVC tubing. then cut the sides out of the tube, leaving 2 strips of the PVC in place to hold the ends.

DSC_0333.JPGDSC_0334.JPGDSC_0335.JPG

Then force the endcaps on holding the mesh in place.

DSC_0336.JPGDSC_0338.JPG

Initially I used 2 soild end caps, but holding the mesh in place and forcing the end off and on was a pain in the ass. I got a screw on end cap fitting. The housing keeps the mesh in place and the screw cap makes it heaps easier for loading.

DSC_0337.JPG

The barrel with the shaft

DSC_0339.JPG

The barrel sitting in the base (NOTE: The inner stainless insert/collection tray isn't in the base) and the stainless shroud.

DSC_0340.JPGDSC_0341.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0334.JPG
    DSC_0334.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC_0335.JPG
    DSC_0335.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • DSC_0333.JPG
    DSC_0333.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 9

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Yes me too. Thanks for the inspiration Merlin. Hoping to chase up some of the stainless mesh like in the trim trays to wrap around and attach to a cylinder, rather than the nylon screen. Will have a look on Ali express, maybe source a cheapo geared motor.

Wondering on RPM Thinking somewhere from 50 -100 rpm but only guessing. NFI really.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Wondering on RPM Thinking somewhere from 50 -100 rpm but only guessing. NFI really.
Considering Merl has made a shroud for it, i gather it can drift around a bit. So i'm thinking slower the better and yet fast enough without developing much turbulence within the chamber, and allow it to settle as soon as possible. But yeah, who the fuck would know, lol.

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Yes me too. Thanks for the inspiration Merlin. Hoping to chase up some of the stainless mesh like in the trim trays to wrap around and attach to a cylinder, rather than the nylon screen. Will have a look on Ali express, maybe source a cheapo geared motor.

Stainless mesh? I did that too BUT, in the tumbling process the metal mesh tends to get bound up with crystals and is an absolute bastard to clear. With the fabric, it's flexible and doesn't bind up as bad. Also with the fabric, if it gets bound up, the fabric can be removed, paced in the freezer and this makes the crystals brittle, then they can be shaken out of the fabric.
HINT: Always start the tumbling process with frozen weed. This makes the stems the trichomes are attached to brittle and they break off easier. Being frozen also reduces the 'stickiness' of the trichomes and therefore reduces the binding up of the fabric.

As for RPM, anything much over 30rpm and it thrashes the veg matter to dust, rather than nice golden hash you end up with green hash as it's full of leaf dust. It's the action of the green rubbing against the fabric that removes the crystals, not the centrifugal forces of the rotation. So slowly, slowly, is much better. That's why I use a BBQ rotisserie, slow turning.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
25% production fee 🤣🤣, you can borrow the bags if ya want.
You need to up your rate, mate. I've been getting a 50% cut for years now. It can work well as a deterant, and if they're still keen after that. Well, you get paid accordingly for dealing with the shit job.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Never tumbled/washed like this before, I usually go the paint mixer on the drill, in the 20L bucket of slurry.

So yeah, dunno mate. That video of the late Frenchie seems a popular practice with many folks, with his washing machine process. Might be able to pull a few handy pointers from him.

Top Bottom