1st time grower needing advice on which growing medium to start with

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Just over two weeks into flower and pretty sure one of my plants went hermie☹️ First grow and I'm pretty gutted to say the least. Running super lemon dragon from 7eastgenetics. Definitely no light leaks, could be due to stress being my first time growing but either way very disheartening. It was a sausage fest, started with 7 plants got two females and now one has hermed. I saw it this morning and plucked it, didnt see any other balls but haven't had a chance to have a proper good look. Should I fuck it off straight away or can I keep it for now and see if more balls develop? Still got a bunch of 7eastgenetics seeds but a little unsure on running them again next run now seeing so many herms on here lately.
Sorry about the pic being abit blurry, shit phone and couldnt get it to focus.
That's just a stem calyx. Nothing to worry about!!
This is what you need to look out for!!
Some more pics to be 100% but trust me I'm the hermie 👑 20211009_120534.jpg20211009_120548.jpg20211009_120114.jpg

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Dmase

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
It's a real shame! Wasn't sure where to get seeds from and saw 7east was getting through customs so went with them. Went hard too so pretty devo about that. Only got the one tent so not sure if worth the risk next run.

Dmase

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID

bushbob

Vegetating
User ID
The amount of recent herm posts regarding 7east seeds is insane, so glad I didn't waste my time with them at this point.. I would probably not bother with the others unless you had the space to segregate their Hermie's away from your other plants.. 🚮🚮
It's a real shame! Wasn't sure where to get seeds from and saw 7east was getting through customs so went with them. Went hard too so pretty devo about that. Only got the one tent so not sure if worth the risk next run.
It really is disappointing the amount of hermi's that are coming from 7EG. Their plants look good on their website and the successful grows I've seen look great but at this point I feel like they are being out performed by Mediseedman gear.

I went with them coz their stuff was getting through to Aus and it looked good but I'll probably try some other North American breeder next time. Might keep their seed to run outdoors where all the males and hermi's can be managed easier.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
That's reassuring to hear. I may have got it wrong, feel a little silly now, farken rookie🤦‍♂️

Nah man, all good. Just need some better pics.

Given the other threads it bud a fair assumption it would seem..

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I was recently reading a breeder spiel from Beleaf Genetics. They estimate that about 4% of female seeds will carry Hermie traits. I'm assuming that's about similar Hermie ratios for REGULAR seeds.? 7 East has provided his estimate of around 7%.. So I wonder if any of the REGULAR seed purists could enlighten me to the advantages of regular seeds.? Because all I see are major disadvantages for the growers trashing half a crop after veg period. Yes I understand the need to preserve "real landrace " genetic pools for breeder purposes blah blah blah blah blah but that doesn't provide any benefits or advantages for growers. Oh, and I prefer to eat seedless watermelon too 🤣🤣🤣. It's 2023 after all. Surely it's all about the farmer/grower? The breeders job is to HELP the farmer? How are reg seeds helping a grower that needs a harvest of flowers, not a harvest of seeds?

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I was recently reading a breeder spiel from Beleaf Genetics. They estimate that about 4% of female seeds will carry Hermie traits. I'm assuming that's about similar Hermie ratios for REGULAR seeds.? 7 East has provided his estimate of around 7%.. So I wonder if any of the REGULAR seed purists could enlighten me to the advantages of regular seeds.? Because all I see are major disadvantages for the growers trashing half a crop after veg period. Yes I understand the need to preserve "real landrace " genetic pools for breeder purposes blah blah blah blah blah but that doesn't provide any benefits or advantages for growers. Oh, and I prefer to eat seedless watermelon too 🤣🤣🤣. It's 2023 after all. Surely it's all about the farmer/grower? The breeders job is to HELP the farmer? How are reg seeds helping a grower that needs a harvest of flowers, not a harvest of seeds?
My opinion is that it's seen it as some type of status symbol or "artisan" practice to use regs by some regardless of the realities. I've got a few mates who will only use regs and they are almost religious in enthusiasm when asked why. Almost like a cult. Immediately get all high and mighty when the suggestion to run fems pops up. "You couldn't pay me enough..."

it's an odd one for sure.

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID
My opinion is that it's seen it as some type of status symbol or "artisan" practice to use regs by some regardless of the realities. I've got a few mates who will only use regs and they are almost religious in enthusiasm when asked why. Almost like a cult. Immediately get all high and mighty when the suggestion to run fems pops up. "You couldn't pay me enough..."

it's an odd one for sure.

Different strokes for different folks.

I suppose for some it's just habit. Hubby likes regs, he also likes big badass photoperiod sativas grown in soil. It's not because he's making a statement, it's just what he grew up growing and still enjoys the process. It's just part of his gardening day.

If we were growing commercially, it would be a different story but we're not. He just likes growing a few plants his way and I'm happy smoking them :p

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
After my comment the other day that I’d never had a Hermie …. I forgot to touch wood I guess.

Have someone some of my late harvest sour diesel the other day and she found a seed. Just one. I haven’t seen any myself.
But I haven’t been smoking that much ( still on first ounce ). I’ll crack a jar or two and see if I can find any more.

Can’t be many as i didn’t notice any while trimming.

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
That's just a stem calyx. Nothing to worry about!!
This is what you need to look out for!!
Some more pics to be 100% but trust me I'm the hermie 👑 View attachment 37846View attachment 37847View attachment 37848
That's reassuring to hear. I may have got it wrong, feel a little silly now, farken rookie🤦‍♂️
Hey bro
We all have to learn sometime,but never think your diagnosis is wrong , at least it's got you thinking
Hope that made sense
Keep up the good work and the rewards will follow.

You will always find a member here that will set you straight when need be.

Cheers bro 🇬🇳

Dmase

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
It's a steep learning curve for my first grow. I definitely will be trying to source fem seeds for my next run giving all the time and effort being put in to only trash them especially when working with very minimal space.

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
It's a steep learning curve for my first grow. I definitely will be trying to source fem seeds for my next run giving all the time and effort being put in to only trash them especially when working with very minimal space.
have a chat to a few of the older folk here and you will be fine, experience galore

took me 6 months before anyone even spoke to me other than the critics of course

peace

Dmase

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Hey bro
We all have to learn sometime,but never think your diagnosis is wrong , at least it's got you thinking
Hope that made sense
Keep up the good work and the rewards will follow.

You will always find a member here that will set you straight when need be.

Cheers bro 🇬🇳
Thanks mate! It can be abit overwhelming for someone who knew absolutely nothing about growing to jump straight into it after a month of reading and watching YouTube videos.
Keen to learn and take on board any advice I can get along the way. I do feel silly asking beginners questions and can understand why it can be annoying to the experienced growers but how else am I going to learn🤷‍♂️ I'd be fucked without having a forum like this to get help.

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
Thanks mate! It can be abit overwhelming for someone who knew absolutely nothing about growing to jump straight into it after a month of reading and watching YouTube videos.
Keen to learn and take on board any advice I can get along the way. I do feel silly asking beginners questions and can understand why it can be annoying to the experienced growers but how else am I going to learn🤷‍♂️ I'd be fucked without having a forum like this to get help.
as the old saying goes

"The human body is made up of many parts, and each of those parts play a totally different part to complete the project"

[i may have added my own slant to that slightly] :D but I'm sure you get the picture.

there are many aspects to a growing MJ.

TSE is full of folks that know every aspect to a degree and as far as they can understand.

my advice is to keep an eye on your reactions and decide who you think can help you with whatever stage your at in your grow.

you will work it out very quick,i cant mention any names but hopefully they will see how keen you are and drop in on you.

will follow your efforts

cheers

Top Bottom