Does anyone calculate NPKg/L for soil?

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
1676414842730.gif

I’m exactly the same mate 😂
Drives the wife bonkers. It’s called adult adhd 😆

But yeah I see what your saying.

I tell people regarding unfined beers and wines ‘ they didn’t worry about the floaty bits for 8000 years. It’s all natural flavours’

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
when soil organisms are allowed to flourish around a plants root system they , along with the plant control PH
depending on which organism is in charge around multiple points of a plants root system multiple ph readings are possible around a single plant

if your into beer making you most likely have malted barley on hand , i would suggest adding malted barley powder to you soil mix , half cup per cubic foot of soil , as a top dress 1/8 to 1/4 cup per plant
malted barley powder will increase nutrient availability in a living soil type system which is important to a fast growing plant like canna , it also provides essential enzymes and food to the soil life

this is a c & p from build a soil website where they sell a product called Gnarly Barley which is a combination of three malted seeds , barley , heirloom corn & lentils , & btw you don't have to use a malted seed , you can sprout the seed yourself & when the tap root is visable & around half to full length of the seed , grind the seed up & add to water , it's otherwise known as Sprouted Seed Tea or SST if interested in googling

Problem: How to keep nutrients available to fast growing plants in living soil?

Solution: Freshly ground Gnarly Barley!

Gnarly Barley from BuildASoil.com is not just a soil amendment, it's a game changer for your plants. Not only does the sprouting of these specialty seeds increase nutrient availability, like it does in human health, but it also provides essential enzymes and food to the soil food web. The soil biology and nutrient flow are intricately connected, and Gnarly Barley provides the ideal balance of seed-based nutrition and enzymes to maximize your plants' growth and health. Whether you're building artisanal potting soil from scratch or top dressing throughout the organic grow cycle, Gnarly Barley is a must-have ingredient. Don't settle for mediocre results in your garden, upgrade to Gnarly Barley and watch your plants thrive!

Gnarly Barley was invented by the world-famous Clackamas Coot. The original method of this tech was called SST or sprouted seed tea and involved sprouting seeds at home. However, after years of research, it's clear that Gnarly Barley is even better than sprouted seed tea. The product combines the benefits of sprouting with a convenient, pre-sprouted formula that provides seed-based nutrition and enzymes to the soil food web. Whether you're an experienced gardener or just starting out, Gnarly Barley is the solution to growing healthy, thriving plants in soil. So why settle for sprouted seed tea when you can have Gnarly Barley, the ultimate soil amendment invented by the world-famous Clackamas Coot!

Recipe:

50% Organic Non GMO Malted Barley - 2 Row

30% Organic Non GMO Sprouted Heirloom Corn

20% Organic Non GMO Sprouted Lentil Seed

NOTICE: Best used freshly ground. I like to use a Bullet style Blender but any method of grinding will increase the surface area and help the soil biology break it down fast.

Last edited:

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
when soil organisms are allowed to flourish around a plants root system they , along with the plant control PH
depending on which organism is in charge around multiple points of a plants root system multiple ph readings are possible around a single plant

if your into beer making you most likely have malted barley on hand , i would suggest adding malted barley powder to you soil mix , half cup per cubic foot of soil , as a top dress 1/8 to 1/4 cup per plant
malted barley powder will increase nutrient availability in a living soil type system which is important to a fast growing plant like canna , it also provides essential enzymes and food to the soil life

this is a c & p from build a soil website where they sell a product called Gnarly Barley which is a combination of three malted seeds , barley , heirloom corn & lentils , & btw you don't have to use a malted seed , you can sprout the seed yourself & when the tap root is visable & around half to full length of the seed , grind the seed up & add to water , it's otherwise known as Sprouted Seed Tea or SST if interested in googling

Gnarly Barley from BuildASoil.com is not just a soil amendment, it's a game changer for your plants. Not only does the sprouting of these specialty seeds increase nutrient availability, like it does in human health, but it also provides essential enzymes and food to the soil food web. The soil biology and nutrient flow are intricately connected, and Gnarly Barley provides the ideal balance of seed-based nutrition and enzymes to maximize your plants' growth and health. Whether you're building artisanal potting soil from scratch or top dressing throughout the organic grow cycle, Gnarly Barley is a must-have ingredient. Don't settle for mediocre results in your garden, upgrade to Gnarly Barley and watch your plants thrive!

Gnarly Barley was invented by the world-famous Clackamas Coot. The original method of this tech was called SST or sprouted seed tea and involved sprouting seeds at home. However, after years of research, it's clear that Gnarly Barley is even better than sprouted seed tea. The product combines the benefits of sprouting with a convenient, pre-sprouted formula that provides seed-based nutrition and enzymes to the soil food web. Whether you're an experienced gardener or just starting out, Gnarly Barley is the solution to growing healthy, thriving plants in soil. So why settle for sprouted seed tea when you can have Gnarly Barley, the ultimate soil amendment invented by the world-famous Clackamas Coot!

Recipe:

NOTICE: Best used freshly ground. I like to use a Bullet style Blender but any method of grinding will increase the surface area and help the soil biology break it down fast.
I've got a 20kg sack of unmalted wheat sitting in the shed doing nothing, so I'll sprout that, enzymes in wheat and barley are pretty much the same AFAIK . Will add it to the rest of the garden too as it needs this type of love!

Nice info 👍

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Title kind if says it, does anyone go as far as to calculate how much total nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium they're putting into their soils?

Eg, using richgro blood & bone for eg.
You use 100g in a 20L mix, it's 8% N, 1% P, 1% K, so you're putting 0.4g of N, 0.05g P, 0.05g K/L in the mix.
You're also using manure, and anything else, so averages of them added to the abobe grams tc.

Or are there too many variables and just wing it with the dose/m2 package instructions and trying to calculate actual amounts is not that necessary?

Cheers

I had some problems with my last soil grow and used a Hanna Soil Test Kit (NPK, pH). The leaves looked like too much N, but then I learned a K deficiency looks similar. The results are not PPM, EC, or anything else quantitative, but rather a low-med-high type result. I had high N and P, perfect pH, but low K. I then started using more liquid kelp and coconut water, problem solved. It wasn't an exacting analysis or solution, but nothing much is in organics and it worked! YMMV.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I had some problems with my last soil grow and used a Hanna Soil Test Kit (NPK, pH). The leaves looked like too much N, but then I learned a K deficiency looks similar. The results are not PPM, EC, or anything else quantitative, but rather a low-med-high type result. I had high N and P, perfect pH, but low K. I then started using more liquid kelp and coconut water, problem solved. It wasn't an exacting analysis or solution, but nothing much is in organics and it worked! YMMV.
Yep, the amount of times I have seen people mistake a K deficiency for burn is massive. Actually, my first few indoor plants I hardly fed at all and used a 4-2-3 base and everyone told me I fried it with nutes and wouldn't back down when I suggested it was a K deficiency.

On my third plant everyone on riu was still telling me that I was constantly burning the plants with nutes, I decided to start feeding a 2-1-4 with every second feed. What a surprise. The burnt tips and serrations pretty much stopped from then on.

To an untrained eye, burn is always excess related, but that's not always the case.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Npk ratios of 3 .1.1

Flower. 1 3.2 or 0.3.3 as the need for nitrogen decreases

Maybe not a k defiency maybe a overdose when more nitrogen was needed

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID

Recipe:

Very interesting. I wonder what the difference long term would be versus a cover crop of legumes like pinto peanut or wynn cassia.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
I've got a 20kg sack of unmalted wheat sitting in the shed doing nothing, so I'll sprout that, enzymes in wheat and barley are pretty much the same AFAIK . Will add it to the rest of the garden too as it needs this type of love!

Nice info 👍
yes the 2 do have some of the same enzymes but not quite the same , i don't think wheat has the enzyme chitinase like barley but i could be wrong , I've never really checked out wheat

chitinase is handy for plant health & as we know the healthier a plant the more it can protect itself from pest &/or pathogen

chitinase when detected by plants causes a immune response , the plant thinks it's about to be attacked so it bolsters it's defenses but the attack never comes so all that bolstering go's into other plant processors , like flower production among other things

if you use calcium carbonate as part of your liming agent in a soil mix from things like crab shell or oyster shell both contain chitin

chitinase is required to break down chitin so the same plant immune response is achieved , both malted barley powder & crab , prawn &/or oyster shells have always been part of my own soil mixes

Very interesting. I wonder what the difference long term would be versus a cover crop of legumes like pinto peanut or wynn cassia.
nothing wrong with using cover crops but not quite the same as a seed that has just sprouted

all the beginning of life stuff is only there at seed germination , this is what makes malted seed really good because they trap all that good start of life stuff in the malting process & we can re activate it with water

as mentioned by @veritas629 he used coconut water , a coconut is just a big seed & the water on the inside has all the same stuff we talking about , as well as things like cytokinins which is also in sprouted corn seed

another one that comes up allot in our game is triacontanol which is found in lucerne or alfalfa as it is known in the US of A

triacontanol is at it's highest consentrations at seed germination , please keep in mind that fact if you attempt to make a sprouted seed tea from lucerne seed , to much triacontanol will fuck your plant good & proper

also keep in mind cytokinins / triacontanol are both plant growth regulators aka PGR's but before people loose there shit these are naturally occurring PGR's not the man made crap people have issues with

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
yes the 2 do have some of the same enzymes but not quite the same , i don't think wheat has the enzyme chitinase like barley but i could be wrong , I've never really checked out wheat

chitinase is handy for plant health & as we know the healthier a plant the more it can protect itself from pest &/or pathogen

chitinase when detected by plants causes a immune response , the plant thinks it's about to be attacked so it bolsters it's defenses but the attack never comes so all that bolstering go's into other plant processors , like flower production among other things

if you use calcium carbonate as part of your liming agent in a soil mix from things like crab shell or oyster shell both contain chitin

chitinase is required to break down chitin so the same plant immune response is achieved , both malted barley powder & crab , prawn &/or oyster shells have always been part of my own soil mixes

nothing wrong with using cover crops but not quite the same as a seed that has just sprouted

all the beginning of life stuff is only there at seed germination , this is what makes malted seed really good because they trap all that good start of life stuff in the malting process & we can re activate it with water

as mentioned by @veritas629 he used coconut water , a coconut is just a big seed & the water on the inside has all the same stuff we talking about , as well as things like cytokinins which is also in sprouted corn seed

another one that comes up allot in our game is triacontanol which is found in lucerne or alfalfa as it is known in the US of A

triacontanol is at it's highest consentrations at seed germination , please keep in mind that fact if you attempt to make a sprouted seed tea from lucerne seed , to much triacontanol will fuck your plant good & proper

also keep in mind cytokinins / triacontanol are both plant growth regulators aka PGR's but before people loose there shit these are naturally occurring PGR's not the man made crap people have issues with
So google tells me that wheat does have chitinase, but the Google results give a lot of wheat papers with something to do with barley chitinase in transgenic wheat or the variations of chitonase glycoside hydrolase families (there's 5,) so likely it has a lesser/different type.

I m not going down another rabbit hole for 2 days, so I'll just use the barley as suggested lol.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
So google tells me that wheat does have chitinase, but the Google results give a lot of wheat papers with something to do with barley chitinase in transgenic wheat or the variations of chitonase glycoside hydrolase families (there's 5,) so likely it has a lesser/different type.

I m not going down another rabbit hole for 2 days, so I'll just use the barley as suggested lol.
i had a bit of a read around & definitely wheat is very similar to barley & I'm sure the benefits would be similar
so don't be shy to give it a go

if you go with using malted barley or any malted seed you want the least heated in the malting process it'll be the lighter colored seed , for barley pilsner is the one to look for , i think Dr Greenthumb & Organic Gardening Solutions have it

keep in mind , have a search around , i was getting organic malted barley for $6 a kilo from Craft Brewer com.au which are now closed , pretty sure the companies above won't be selling it for that price

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Can’t you just make your own malted barley.
would have to be a heap cheaper.

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
i had a bit of a read around & definitely wheat is very similar to barley & I'm sure the benefits would be similar
so don't be shy to give it a go

if you go with using malted barley or any malted seed you want the least heated in the malting process it'll be the lighter colored seed , for barley pilsner is the one to look for , i think Dr Greenthumb & Organic Gardening Solutions have it

keep in mind , have a search around , i was getting organic malted barley for $6 a kilo from Craft Brewer com.au which are now closed , pretty sure the companies above won't be selling it for that price
Can get feed barley for $15/25kg near me. Heaps cheap to just malt it yourself. Could probably just spread it out in the sun for a day and dry off to store to use when needed though? Enzyme's inside the grain so UV shouldn't nuke them 🤷🏻‍♂️
Coopers pale (pilsner) malt is about the cheapest in Aus ranging from $50-60/25kg when buying a sack from LHBS.

Going to do some of the wheat this weekend, few kg, blend and throw round the garden 👍

R3za92

Baked
User ID
you might think there’s bigger things to worry about but why do you think they put a warning on the bag ?

Mostly to cover their ass so that in 30 years time some farms can’t turn around and say “the cadmium levels in my soil are now above safe limits because I used your product and you never said there was cadmium in it”

The amount that’s present in that product is easily managed even with commercial fertigation use. In fact you’d probably be worse if just using the soil naturally present in areas like Newcastle, Port Pirie or around any airport or fire training facility.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Yeah it’s pretty insane but then in any industry, the big buys get away with stuff like this all the time.

Totally unrelated to weed but I’m in wine industry and we make natural wines. But most big brand wines are made more like a recipe than just what the grape grows. And a big thing is fining. Where they add powder to the wines to filter then sediment. Milk, egg and fish products are used however there is also polyvinyl plastic and powdered copper used. Imagine dumping in metal to a wine to clean it up.

Back to weed. I heard that if you keep your soil slightly higher ph the heavy metal uptake isn’t as big. Like 6.5 or higher.
Coppers anti bacterial properties have been used for centuries so not entitle surprising.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
Can get feed barley for $15/25kg near me. Heaps cheap to just malt it yourself. Could probably just spread it out in the sun for a day and dry off to store to use when needed though? Enzyme's inside the grain so UV shouldn't nuke them 🤷🏻‍♂️
Coopers pale (pilsner) malt is about the cheapest in Aus ranging from $50-60/25kg when buying a sack from LHBS.

Going to do some of the wheat this weekend, few kg, blend and throw round the garden 👍
if i was making a seed sprout tea i would use 2 ounces of sprouted seed to 20 liters of water , once seed is blended & mixed with water i strain out the seed bits & add them to the worm farm or compost pile , then soil drench the water , if i was using lucerne seed then it would be more like quarter ounce to 20 liters of water
you can use seed brought from pretty much anywhere like pop corn from coles but i tend to source organically produced seed , but that's me
if your using malted barley same amounts apply to water ( 2 oz ) , as for top dressing use 1/8 to 1/4 cup per plant in a 50 to 75 liter pot
not sure how your sun malting will go , might be worth buying a small amount of malted seed & do a test on A & B plants to compare

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
if i was making a seed sprout tea i would use 2 ounces of sprouted seed to 20 liters of water , once seed is blended & mixed with water i strain out the seed bits & add them to the worm farm or compost pile , then soil drench the water , if i was using lucerne seed then it would be more like quarter ounce to 20 liters of water
you can use seed brought from pretty much anywhere like pop corn from coles but i tend to source organically produced seed , but that's me
if your using malted barley same amounts apply to water ( 2 oz ) , as for top dressing use 1/8 to 1/4 cup per plant in a 50 to 75 liter pot
not sure how your sun malting will go , might be worth buying a small amount of malted seed & do a test on A & B plants to compare
Sun was just to dry if wanting to store for future use.
Pilsner malt is kilned in stages from 28-30° up to 50° then a final one at about 90°. I know brewing enzymes are denatured at about 85° when I mash out, so I don't know how they raise the temp and not denature the enzymes... Unless I read the wrong temp in something.
Running a control of potting soil with both mine and bought malted barley would be a good test.

R3za92

Baked
User ID

The colloquial “PGR” slang/tag doesn’t really refer to cytokinins / triacontanol etc. it’s mostly used to refer to growth regulators like chlormequat chloride, paclobutrazol etc. otherwise majority of plant products including those with kelp would have to be labeled as pgr’s

While it is technically correct, to use the pgr misnomer to refer to these naturally occurring hormones like gibberilc acid/ triacontanol etc, is disingenuous.

Personally I think as a community we should refer to natural plant growth regulators as simply growth regulators or growth hormones or some other short hand so as to avoid confusion and differentiate them from harmful growth regulators.

If I told people I’m using pgr’s in my grow they’d think I’m mad, stupid , greedy or some combination of all 3. But if I tell people I’m using kelp, fulvic and some bacillus it paints an entirely different picture.

Top Bottom