What's wrong with this seedling?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Yeah that might be an option mate.
The NPK looks like pretty much the same as most other ferts.
Stab a skewer or something similar into the soil and see how much resistance it has. It should slide in easily. If it's hard and I mean almost snaps a wooden skewer it could be hydrophobic. It shouldn't be if your ph is right though.
Go do that and let us know how ya go. We'll get it sorted for ya!!

It slides through easily. If anything this soil mix is too friable - a fair amount of bark chips. Can't be the soil though because the problem started well before I hoisted them out and gave them new soil (twice). That's why I suspect a pathogen.... introduced in the first soil and carried through. I have them on 20 hours light. I'll knock that back to 12 to give them recovery time. They are growing okay, just sickly looking.

I just removed all the diseased fan leaves. If they were roses I'd swear they have black spot.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
How’s your ventilation?
I have one fan going while the lights run. It is a large grow space (4x2 metres with a 3 metre ceiling height) with only two plants. I just have the fan sitting near an opening. My grow room is not perfectly sealed as there is a 3mm gap under the door. I could run a duct to bring in more outside air.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Don't knock back lights to 12/12 as thay won't fix anything. It will just trigger flowering and create long delays with reveg. Do you have a proper exhaust/extraction fan ? Are you keeping all of your fans on 247 ? In that space you need at least one proper extraction fan and 2 oscillating fans running 24/7. Never turn your fans off when growing indoors. Must be on at all times

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Personally i would also think about chucking as much of that wood chip as poss and replace with perlite or some kinda drainage, plant looks over-watered and wood chip holds on 2 moisture and bad stuff likes 2 grow on it
Def not taking up nutes properly but whether they locked out or not is question

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Don't knock back lights to 12/12 as thay won't fix anything. It will just trigger flowering and create long delays with reveg. Do you have a proper exhaust/extraction fan ? Are you keeping all of your fans on 247 ? In that space you need at least one proper extraction fan and 2 oscillating fans running 24/7. Never turn your fans off when growing indoors. Must be on at all times

Okay. That's easy to fix. It is a proper extraction fan. It moves a shitload of air. It's a metre away from the plants and pointed directly at them. My room sizes were estimates. I'll measure it.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Personally i would also think about chucking as much of that wood chip as poss and replace with perlite or some kinda drainage, plant looks over-watered and wood chip holds on 2 moisture and bad stuff likes 2 grow on it
Def not taking up nutes properly but whether they locked out or not is question
That would mean bare rooting them again. I'm foliage fertilizing to compensate for poor take up but it doesn't seem to be working. Still, better to experiment with these than seeds I had to pay for.

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Mainly talking about future grows buddy
Good drainage is a big thing with weed, i even go as far as putting coupla inchs of perlite on bottom of pot
Dont think good idea 2 expose roots, just keep in mind 4 next time

Flamin’Falcon

Germinating
User ID
I have one fan going while the lights run. It is a large grow space (4x2 metres with a 3 metre ceiling height) with only two plants. I just have the fan sitting near an opening. My grow room is not perfectly sealed as there is a 3mm gap under the door. I could run a duct to bring in more outside air.
Ok you need to exchange the air all the time, Air IN low, air OUT high. I’m not sure 3mm gap under the door will be enough for passive intake, but maybe.. leave extraction on24/7. Have oscillating fan running always also. Soil inside is a prick of a thing, its hard to give good advice on how to manage that. If treating like coco, flush the hell out of it and stick with base nutes at 1/2 strength until back on track. You don’t need an ec meter but it helps. Those little plants prob only uptake about 750mL/day each. I don’t like foliar feeding indoors as leaves can burn. How’s the gnat situation? Prob a good idea to add a layer of clay balls or similar to the top of the pots to deter gnats. GL with it. I hope I haven’t given to confusing advice.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Ok you need to exchange the air all the time, Air IN low, air OUT high. I’m not sure 3mm gap under the door will be enough for passive intake, but maybe.. leave extraction on24/7. Have oscillating fan running always also. Soil inside is a prick of a thing, its hard to give good advice on how to manage that. If treating like coco, flush the hell out of it and stick with base nutes at 1/2 strength until back on track. You don’t need an ec meter but it helps. Those little plants prob only uptake about 750mL/day each. I don’t like foliar feeding indoors as leaves can burn. How’s the gnat situation? Prob a good idea to add a layer of clay balls or similar to the top of the pots to deter gnats. GL with it. I hope I haven’t given to confusing advice.
Gnats! Bloody heaps of them. Biting little bastards. I didn't know they damaged plants. What do they do?

I have see people talk about coco and perlite. That's a mix for hydroponics isn't it?

I'll cut a hole and run a duct through. I'll have to get an oscillating fan. I was hoping to limit power usage.... ah well.

Flamin’Falcon

Germinating
User ID
G
Gnats! Bloody heaps of them. Biting little bastards. I didn't know they damaged plants. What do they do?

I have see people talk about coco and perlite. That's a mix for hydroponics isn't it?

I'll cut a hole and run a duct through. I'll have to get an oscillating fan. I was hoping to limit power usage.... ah well
Ok, there’s your problem Gnats lay eggs in the moist medium and the larvae eat the roots. They can’t get in as easy if There’s a dry layer on top of the pot. ie layer of clay balls. I’d hit them with a dose of “kill a mite”. Then another in aweek or so when the larvae fly out. So they can’t lay anymore. But you don’t want to use that stuff anywhere around flower time.
Good idea to get air moving through. Ventilation is as important as lights. Unfortunately high electricity usage is a by-product of indoor growing. Be safe with it though.
Yes, coco is a hydroponic medium

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
I really don't get it. in the 1970's a mate and I setup a grow room in our flat. We used growlux flouro tubes and potting mix. NOT A SICK PLANT ANYWHERE! They wern't huge but they were healthy. Have seeds gotten weak

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
G

Ok, there’s your problem Gnats lay eggs in the moist medium and the larvae eat the roots. They can’t get in as easy if There’s a dry layer on top of the pot. ie layer of clay balls. I’d hit them with a dose of “kill a mite”. Then another in aweek or so when the larvae fly out. So they can’t lay anymore. But you don’t want to use that stuff anywhere around flower time.
Good idea to get air moving through. Ventilation is as important as lights. Unfortunately high electricity usage is a by-product of indoor growing. Be safe with it though.
Yes, coco is a hydroponic medium
Okay. I don't know if I can get killamite around here. I'll ask around. Thanks. They were ll over the pots when I checked this morning. I left the plants in the sun as I had to get to work.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I really don't get it. in the 1970's a mate and I setup a grow room in our flat. We used growlux flouro tubes and potting mix. NOT A SICK PLANT ANYWHERE! They wern't huge but they were healthy. Have seeds gotten weak

Nah mate, but you seem hell bent on blaming seeds for pretty much everything…

Flamin’Falcon

Germinating
User ID
In
I really don't get it. in the 1970's a mate and I setup a grow room in our flat. We used growlux flouro tubes and potting mix. NOT A SICK PLANT ANYWHERE! They wern't huge but they were healthy. Have seeds gotten weakI don’t , maybe you got lucky
Sorry to see your having a hard time of it. Once you get your system down it’ll be easy for you inside. Regarding killamite, There are definitely other options out there. That’s just what I’ve had success with in the past. Probably ask at the hydro shop. Diatomaceous earth is supposed to work well as an organic alternative.

They’ll probably love their time outside . Is it an option to leave them there? Be aware whatever little bugs you pickup outside will multiply when taken into a closed environment.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Nah mate, but you seem hell bent on blaming seeds for pretty much everything…
That was harsh BG. It was supposed to be an amusing comment. I'll stick to business. Mind you, I must have pushed "post" too early. I meant to write "Have seeds got weak in my old age." I thought it was funny.

Last edited:

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
In

Sorry to see your having a hard time of it. Once you get your system down it’ll be easy for you inside. Regarding killamite, There are definitely other options out there. That’s just what I’ve had success with in the past. Probably ask at the hydro shop. Diatomaceous earth is supposed to work well as an organic alternative.

They’ll probably love their time outside . Is it an option to leave them there? Be aware whatever little bugs you pickup outside will multiply when taken into a closed environment.

Outside is difficult. I live in a holiday mecca. Certain times of the year I get strange people poking around, looking over the fence, etc. I much prefer to grow a giant or two in the garden but they'll just get ripped off. I'll get used to this indoor thing. Cheers.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Okay. I don't know if I can get killamite around here. I'll ask around. Thanks. They were ll over the pots when I checked this morning. I left the plants in the sun as I had to get to work.
Fly spray them a few times over a week. Each water use 1ml neem to 1lt of water. If you have nats your soil is staying to wet for to long. Which will almost always mean you ph will be out.

Top Bottom