What's wrong with this seedling?

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
I have 2 of these under LED lights. The lights hand 30 cm above the plant. Both have the droops. I suspect the soil is too rich (fair bit of blood and bone in it) but I am not experienced with indoors. Opinions, soil or heat from the lights? Plenty ofwater.sicko.jpg

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Pikey

Baked
User ID
My first thought was too much water. Airation could also be a problem, your soil looks a bit like dried mud :( though i can see you have some perlite in there. What soil are you using and how much and often are you watering her?

NansTunaCan

Germinating
User ID
I would suspect over-watering and a PH issue among other things. Let the soil dry out abit, water less (I would be giving that thing like 250ml of water every other day) and also make sure your PH is correct in and out.

But yes if you've added blood and bone to a pre-made soil it is more than likely hot (too rich) aswell especially for a plant that size. My advice would be to start over with a better soil especially if that's an Auto. Highpoweredorganics make some pretty good "water only" soil.... and they are Aussie :)

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
I thought it was likely a soil issue. It is pretty dense and the perlite didn't seem to help. I suspect it is quite alkaline as well. I'm not in a place to buy a sack of potting mix. I have some very neutral, free draining sand. I'll whack them in that and liquid fertilize them once they settle down. Cheers. I'll post the result.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
As you can see, my seedlings have come along okay after a shakey start. They are at 30cm now and I am fairly happy but there is some discolouration on some fan leaves (both plants). I have them in a commercial potting mix. They are under LED grow lights (60 cm above plants) in a small room. There is a fan going all the time. At the moment I give them 20 hours light/4 hours dark. It is unlikely to be overwatering. I'm keeping them on the dry side.

Indoors is so much more fiddly.

Attachments

• yellow leaves.jpg
    yellow leaves.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 23

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
As you can see, my seedlings have come along okay after a shakey start. They are at 30cm now and I am fairly happy but there is some discolouration on some fan leaves (both plants). I have them in a commercial potting mix. They are under LED grow lights (60 cm above plants) in a small room. There is a fan going all the time. At the moment I give them 20 hours light/4 hours dark. It is unlikely to be overwatering. I'm keeping them on the dry side.

Indoors is so much more fiddly.
Looks like a cal mag deficiency. Probably from ph being out. Usually the first deficiency to show in soil when pH is out. Could be lack of cal mag in ya soil but probably more likely to be from pH being out.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Looks like a cal mag deficiency. Probably from ph being out. Usually the first deficiency to show in soil when pH is out. Could be lack of cal mag in ya soil but probably more likely to be from pH being out.
Cheers Porky. I'll do a test and post the results.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Cheers Porky. I'll do a test and post the results.

With a digital probe, multiple samples, 6.5 - 7.0 ph. I think that's neutral - yes? I have some trace elements somewhere. I might make a solution and water it in.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
No, they are in a commercial potting mix. A good one - not an elcheapo. I'll do a ph test and perhaps a mild foliage fertilize - thrive or something similar/

Ahh ok, you mentioned not buying soil in previous comment and then adding some sort of sand?

Now you have bought soil and repotted them? Which brand did you get?

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Your pH seems good for soil, but not convinced those probe test readings are highly accurate. A soil slurry test would provide a reasonable pH indication. Without any other info, looks like it needs a good feed -after your satisfied pH is correct.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Ahh ok, you mentioned not buying soil in previous comment and then adding some sort of sand?

Now you have bought soil and repotted them? Which brand did you get?
Yeah, I put them into a clean sand but felt a bit sorry for them, so I transplanted them into Richgrow Seaweed Premium Potting Mix. It was the best our little hardware had. I need to experiment and get a good friable, neutral mix before my "paid" seeds arrive. These ones are "bush" seeds that I was given. Outdoors they grow 4/6 metres and get covered in heads. Perhaps they are not an ideal indoor strain.

They are unbelievably robust outdoors and give a strong, narcotic smoke that tends to make me freak out. I'm growing them to make oil.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Your pH seems good for soil, but not convinced those probe test readings are highly accurate. A soil slurry test would provide a reasonable pH indication. Without any other info, looks like it needs a good feed -after your satisfied pH is correct.
I agree a chemical test would be better Fox. Either way a foliage fertilizer should help I think. My theory is that if it is an root uptake problem then a foliar application gives an alternative route. I am making this up as I go along.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Soil slurry test was 6.0. I lifted the pots to check for waterlogging and found what I think is the problem. The root system hanging out of the bottom of the pots is extensive. I kept the pots small, 20 litres, to try and stunt the plants a bit but I think they have a mind of their own.

What to do? Do I trim the roots hanging out of the pot and create a bonsai effect, get bigger pots, or give up and chuck them behind the shed?

Pikey

Baked
User ID
Do they drain freely or are they in saucers? Sounds like they are sitting in water, otherwise the roots should be "air pruning" themselves.

EDIT : Sorry I just re-read your post. Is the crushed granite holding water?

Top Bottom