What's wrong with this seedling?

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Do they drain freely or are they in saucers? Sounds like they are sitting in water, otherwise the roots should be "air pruning" themselves.

EDIT : Sorry I just re-read your post. Is the crushed granite holding water?
The granite is in a container and the pot sits in that. There no water in the granite but it is damp. I believe my attempt to keep the shed floor dry has backfired on me.

Attachments

• pots.jpg
    pots.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Yeah, I put them into a clean sand but felt a bit sorry for them, so I transplanted them into Richgrow Seaweed Premium Potting Mix. It was the best our little hardware had. I need to experiment and get a good friable, neutral mix before my "paid" seeds arrive. These ones are "bush" seeds that I was given. Outdoors they grow 4/6 metres and get covered in heads. Perhaps they are not an ideal indoor strain.

They are unbelievably robust outdoors and give a strong, narcotic smoke that tends to make me freak out. I'm growing them to make oil.
Mate they sound better than most strains people pay for!!

One Drop

Curing
User ID
It’s water perchment it’s sitting in the gravel and roots are not having any time to drain raise up the pots off the gravel the roots will love you for it

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
It’s water perchment it’s sitting in the gravel and roots are not having any time to drain raise up the pots off the gravel the roots will love you for it

Yep, I might pot them on to preserve the exposed roots then just have the pots drain onto some plastic film.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Yep, I might pot them on to preserve the exposed roots then just have the pots drain onto some plastic film.

Nah, keep a saucer under them. Catches any excess run off. Once they get real thirsty, the plant will thank you for some extra to draw on between waterings.

Flamin’Falcon

Germinating
User ID
Soil slurry test was 6.0. I lifted the pots to check for waterlogging and found what I think is the problem. The root system hanging out of the bottom of the pots is extensive. I kept the pots small, 20 litres, to try and stunt the plants a bit but I think they have a mind of their own.

What to do? Do I trim the roots hanging out of the pot and create a bonsai effect, get bigger pots, or give up and chuck them behind the shed?
It sounds like you’ve found the problem. All of your ideas could work.

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
These 2 plants are really causing me some grief. The soil ph is good, I've put the pots into saucers, I've tried letting them dry out, tried different distances from light to plant, given them foliage fertiliser and a dose of trace elements - yet they still look like shit. One is really shithouse, the other isn't too bad. Is it an infection of some kind perhaps?

Attachments

• sicko2.JPG
    sicko2.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 17
  • sicko3.JPG
    sicko3.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 16

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
These 2 plants are really causing me some grief. The soil ph is good, I've put the pots into saucers, I've tried letting them dry out, tried different distances from light to plant, given them foliage fertiliser and a dose of trace elements - yet they still look like shit. One is really shithouse, the other isn't too bad. Is it an infection of some kind perhaps?
What's you room temp??
Probably unlikely because it's autumn but plants droop like that in the cold.
Probably not the problem but could be.
They also look very hungry. What's the NPK of the trace elements you have given them?

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Room temp stays around 24 degrees C. I am using Thrive as a foliage fertiliser and a touch in the watering can. I don't want to overdo it as there was slow release fertiliser in the potting mix. The breakdown of Thrive and the trace element mix is below:

Attachments

• thrive.JPG
    thrive.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 11
  • trace.JPG
    trace.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 8

Wargul

Vegetating
User ID
Gotta be too much love..
BG, if I was looking from your point of view I would definitely agree but I only used the above additives in response to the problem, so I don't think it's over-love. I can grow outdoors no worries. The only thing I can think is to bare root them and see what's going on under the soil. I suspect a virus, fungus, or nematodes. It's pretty frustrating.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
BG, if I was looking from your point of view I would definitely agree but I only used the above additives in response to the problem, so I don't think it's over-love. I can grow outdoors no worries. The only thing I can think is to bare root them and see what's going on under the soil. I suspect a virus, fungus, or nematodes. It's pretty frustrating.
Yeah that might be an option mate.
The NPK looks like pretty much the same as most other ferts.
Stab a skewer or something similar into the soil and see how much resistance it has. It should slide in easily. If it's hard and I mean almost snaps a wooden skewer it could be hydrophobic. It shouldn't be if your ph is right though.
Go do that and let us know how ya go. We'll get it sorted for ya!!

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
Not using one of them cheap and nasty bunnings ph soil testers/meters?

Need to do a soil slurry test to get an accurate indication of the true ph value.

Top Bottom