two spotted spider mites and buds?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
I think a key thing with spider mites ppl seem o be missing is you need multiple sprays if you are not using a systemic insecticide. Spray 3 times over a week and a half period.

You can use multiple different sprays to kill them, it really doesn't matter what you use. In fact I would recommend switching up the sprays, as spider mites breed incredibly quick and in large numbers and can quickly mutate and become resistant to pesticides.

I agree with others don't spray white oil or eco oil if you plan to spray during lights on, especially if your hitting 30c + temps. Can try natra soap type spray instead. even then be careful spraying with higher temps.

One Drop

Curing
User ID
I think a key thing with spider mites ppl seem o be missing is you need multiple sprays if you are not using a systemic insecticide. Spray 3 times over a week and a half period.

You can use multiple different sprays to kill them, it really doesn't matter what you use. In fact I would recommend switching up the sprays, as spider mites breed incredibly quick and in large numbers and can quickly mutate and become resistant to pesticides.

I agree with others don't spray white oil or eco oil if you plan to spray during lights on, especially if your hitting 30c + temps. Can try natra soap type spray instead. even then be careful spraying with higher temps.
I spray lights out and keep in dark for 24hr .

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
A little of topic but I was looking at that lions tail plant yesterday as a member here has been on to me about seeds from it.

So I was looking at some of the dried up dying buds on the plant and I crumbled one in my fingers and low and behold fucking flea size little fuckers heaps of them came out of the one bud. Won’t be going near that and indoors again. Couldn’t believe how many came out very very small. I need to buy a proper microscope with a camera to ID them properly.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
As an earlier poster mentioned, spider mites have a breeding/reproduction cycle of 3 to 4 days. Regardless if you think you have them or not, best practice is always to apply a range of different treatments from seedling/cutting stage right through to flower. If cultivating in living soil, keep oils away from the soil... will kill beneficials and really mess with your soil life. Lowered diversity will encourage fungus gnats and other soil dwelling pests. Lowered plant health will also send signals to pests, inviting them to feast.

Tried and true IPM foliar regimen from start: 1tbl emulsified neem oil mixed into 4L of luke warm water. Add potassium silicate and aloe as well... once flowering starts, stop spraying and introduce predatory mites even a couple of times. They definitely work. You will never have leaf sucking pests if you follow this regimen...

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
As an earlier poster mentioned, spider mites have a breeding/reproduction cycle of 3 to 4 days. Regardless if you think you have them or not, best practice is always to apply a range of different treatments from seedling/cutting stage right through to flower. If cultivating in living soil, keep oils away from the soil... will kill beneficials and really mess with your soil life. Lowered diversity will encourage fungus gnats and other soil dwelling pests. Lowered plant health will also send signals to pests, inviting them to feast.

Tried and true IPM foliar regimen from start: 1tbl emulsified neem oil mixed into 4L of luke warm water. Add potassium silicate and aloe as well... once flowering starts, stop spraying and introduce predatory mites even a couple of times. They definitely work. You will never have leaf sucking pests if you follow this regimen...
I have been doing lots of reading and to keep in line with my choice to grow organically I am using a range of products to prevent them rather than kill them. I have just germinated (2 weeks) some Byron Bay, Candy Cream and Durban Poison. I have made some Aloe Vera powder (from scratch) This is good at deterring pests, pathogens and fungus, neem seed meal, kelp meal, alfalfa, D.E are all in the soil mix, along with coco and perlite, and some mulch on top. I will be giving them a root drench of Aloe, and spraying them weekly with an aloe foliar spray. I am amazed how much you can use Aloe in gardening. I have cleaned the room from top to bottom, the tent, and all utensils used for my grow. The main aim is not to have them at all but I'm confident that they are probably lurking somewhere! I will see how this grow goes and then try the Bubba Kush, again as they were demolishing that strain!

Who else uses Aloe and have they had good results?

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
So lesson is keep the spidermites outside of your indoor grow guys!!
A little of topic but I was looking at that lions tail plant yesterday as a member here has been on to me about seeds from it.

So I was looking at some of the dried up dying buds on the plant and I crumbled one in my fingers and low and behold fucking flea size little fuckers heaps of them came out of the one bud. Won’t be going near that and indoors again. Couldn’t believe how many came out very very small. I need to buy a proper microscope with a camera to ID them properly.
They are painfully small and my aging eyes need a huge microscope to see them!

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
Quick Q. would it be the mites or the fungus (L.Septoria) that would have caused the inside of the seeds to be black? I checked majority of the seeds before throwing out and noticed 90% were either, hollow, black or only half a seed.

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID
Quick Q. would it be the mites or the fungus (L.Septoria) that would have caused the inside of the seeds to be black? I checked majority of the seeds before throwing out and noticed 90% were either, hollow, black or only half a seed.
It wont be the mites

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
I have been doing lots of reading and to keep in line with my choice to grow organically I am using a range of products to prevent them rather than kill them. I have just germinated (2 weeks) some Byron Bay, Candy Cream and Durban Poison. I have made some Aloe Vera powder (from scratch) This is good at deterring pests, pathogens and fungus, neem seed meal, kelp meal, alfalfa, D.E are all in the soil mix, along with coco and perlite, and some mulch on top. I will be giving them a root drench of Aloe, and spraying them weekly with an aloe foliar spray. I am amazed how much you can use Aloe in gardening. I have cleaned the room from top to bottom, the tent, and all utensils used for my grow. The main aim is not to have them at all but I'm confident that they are probably lurking somewhere! I will see how this grow goes and then try the Bubba Kush, again as they were demolishing that strain!

I've always used aloe for triggering plant SAR via salicylic acid, as a foliar sticker/spreader via its saponin content and as a rooting compound. Fresh is best, sundried is next best.

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID

Your thinking is bang on here... Take note peeps, this is how to minimise pest pressure

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Yes I'm sure nearly all the long time growers on here do it exactly that

Sometimes it doesn't matter how much preventative measures you take , unfortunately we are trying to create a environment that facilities the pests as well as healthy plants

The best preventative measures you can take is ensure that your plants are healthy and in a position to fight off pests on their own

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID
AS a pollen chucker from way back, and living in a "pot growing paradise" or as I call it ,a "cold wet shithole"
if you don't exposé your plants to all the pests, pathogens and funguses out there, they will never get any resistance to them

Last edited:

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID
Yes I'm sure nearly all the long time growers on here do it exactly that

Sometimes it doesn't matter how much preventative measures you take , unfortunately we are trying to create a environment that facilities the pests as well as healthy plants

The best preventative measures you can take is ensure that your plants are healthy and in a position to fight off pests on their own
Agreed

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
OMG seriously what the hell is going on with my girls! After losing my grow I replanted.
Purchased a new tent, new nutes, new soil (coco/perlite) the only thing I did not replace was the material grow bags, but they got a good wash in a light solution of neem oil, and I have been super careful when watering so no splashing leaves. Now THIS! What the hell are the rusty looking lines on here?

Attachments

• leaf.jpg
    leaf.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom