two spotted spider mites and buds?

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
Has/does anyone use predatory mites to control pest on their plants?
I had an outbreak of spider mites awhile ago and as I prefer organic growing, I purchased some lady beetles, well they failed dismally. I did more research and found a predatory mite called Californicus. Purchased a tube of them and scattered them all over the plants and in the veg patch. Approx. two weeks later - nothing. Can not even find the predatory mites!
I still have all the plants in the roof that were effected. They have dried out but a little reluctant to smoke them. What are your thought? Has anyone smokes mite infested buds? or would they leave the plant as it was drying?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
yeah they leave the plant coz it isn’t food once it’s dead.

I’ve used two type of predatory mites ..none got rid of them all but kept their numbers down ... Dead Red is an excellent product but you don’t want chemicals.

yes you can smoke weed that had mites ..

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
yeah they leave the plant coz it isn’t food once it’s dead.

I’ve used two type of predatory mites ..none got rid of them all but kept their numbers down ... Dead Red is an excellent product but you don’t want chemicals.

yes you can smoke weed that had mites ..
Thanks. I am going to enjoy a chuff of bubba tonight then ;-)

Yeah I prefer organic all the way if I can but I do understand there may be times I need to hit'em with the old pea beu!

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
Not sure if u can buy em, but those assassin bugs i had on my plants cleaned up everything walking and i only saw about 3 or 4 of em
They even gave lady bugs nightmares
Hmm aren't assassin bugs dangerous to humans? They bite mammals transferring disease?

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
They're back! Grrr! I am having issues with these bloody mites, tell tale tiny with bite marks! Unsure what has happened to my Californicus mites! So it's out with the D.E. (diatomaceous earth)
I also wonder if this damage is a result of the mites or something else? The leaves are yellowing, dropping, starting from the lower leaves then working there way up the plant.

Maybe two different issues? or could the mites damage cause the leaf yellowing. Purchased all new soil, washed and dried the grow bags. Re planted and same issue. This is not happening on my veg girls, only the ones in flower.

PS: Also changed my nutes from Ozi Magic to Professors Organic nutrients. (ot tired of the solution hardening at the bottom of the bottles)

Attachments

• leaf one.jpg
    leaf one.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 8
  • leaf two.jpg
    leaf two.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 7
  • brown leaf.jpg
    brown leaf.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 10
  • plant leav.jpg
    plant leav.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 10
  • S mites.jpg
    S mites.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 11

benn0

Baked
Community Member
User ID
IDK what I do right in my general garden but once I stopped trying to kill off aphids on the roses and planted some sunflowers and corn I noticed my ladybug population skyrocketed and they clean up the aphids on the roses, corn, etc. My general garden is amaze of different plants that I somehow have managed to balance out and don't suffer from any pests and because my indoor is in a shed essentially surrounded by my general garden I'm assuming before anything can get indoors its eaten up outside. I do have issues with mildews in my general garden depending on the temperature but over the years I've learnt to manage that with watering and a bit of sulfur application at carefully selected times depending on what the weather is doing.
Of course when I grow outdoor away from my general garden then them plants have succumed to some issues but I think the idea of predatory insects or mites or whatever is honestly a great idea.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I have also released predatory mites on several ocassions and not noticed any improvement.

I did finally beat the fungus gnats though. Neem drenching didnt seem to do anything, the gnat barrier slowed them a little. In the end a good spray of Maldison on top of the pots seems to have fucked them. Never new it was used for plant pests (have always used it on chooks to control mites), but heard it on the ABC gardening hour recently regarding some sort of pests on Tomato plants, so thought i would give it a try. :)

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
I have also released predatory mites on several ocassions and not noticed any improvement.

I did finally beat the fungus gnats though. Neem drenching didnt seem to do anything, the gnat barrier slowed them a little. In the end a good spray of Maldison on top of the pots seems to have fucked them. Never new it was used for plant pests (have always used it on chooks to control mites), but heard it on the ABC gardening hour recently regarding some sort of pests on Tomato plants, so thought i would give it a try. :)

Just looked up maldison cos I hadn't heard of it, seems to be organo phosphate based. Be careful using it a lot pretty heavy chemical.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Just looked up maldison cos I hadn't heard of it, seems to be organo phosphate based. Be careful using it a lot pretty heavy chemical.

hey mate.

The old fella on abc was talking I think a 30mm/ litre ratio and using as a foliar. Good drench 7 days apart.

woth poultry we always used gloves, apparently not good for ya, but we dunk chooks in it. 😂

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
hey mate.

The old fella on abc was talking I think a 30mm/ litre ratio and using as a foliar. Good drench 7 days apart.

woth poultry we always used gloves, apparently not good for ya, but we dunk chooks in it. 😂

You must of certainly had a lot of gnats lol

"be careful because organo-phosphate"
Now go tell Alexei Navalny that
Right,

should of said class 1 B insectide instead?

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
haha, I only sprayed the top of the gnat barrier with a sptray bottle.. not the plants.

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
Hey all.
OK, after some research and lots of reading I have found the issue with my plants. A mix of Leaf Septoria, and Spider mites. Obviously the little beggars were spreading the fungus and eventually they all went seedy!! My whole grow has gone!! 😭😭, ripped up and tossed out, tent, scrubbed and sprayed with neem oil, and awaiting the next batch of plants.

One Drop

Curing
User ID
Use a white oil to kill spider mites an eco oil at Bunnings is super effective and cheap around 12 bucks need to use 2 times in veg period and your good to go . Od .

thylacinelives

Vegetating
User ID
Thanks one drop. I tried a chili/garlic spray and burnt all the bloody leaves, no wonder the hermied and went to seed. This was my worst grow to date and now coming into winter I am reluctant to plant more. I hate the thought of buying :-(

One Drop

Curing
User ID
Thanks one drop. I tried a chili/garlic spray and burnt all the bloody leaves, no wonder the hermied and went to seed. This was my worst grow to date and now coming into winter I am reluctant to plant more. I hate the thought of buying :-(
Well for 12 bucks you could of saved your crop mate its totally up to you . I’m a qualified 4 th year horticulturalist have been growing weed for 45 years now no bandaid fix will kill spider mite you have to get some type of chemical to kill them . Regards Od . Are you in tassie like me T ?

Top Bottom