The Random Discussion / Argument Thread

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Some John Birmingham for your Saturday arvo ......

Leave me with my pain.
May 24

Stricken this week with Man-Flu, I took to my deathbed with Lemsip and iPad, bravely awaiting The End. While dying*, I watched Her, Spike Jonze’s 2013 romantic tragedy in which Joaquin Phoenix falls in love with Siri, as voiced by Scarlett Johansson. I imagined that since I would soon be dead anyway, it would be nice to distract myself with a robot uprising story in which the robots rise up and kill everybody.

That’s my favourite sort, and honestly, that’s what I thought I was getting, but that’s not what happened. Instead, I watched a very sad love story by accident, and it made me so sad my Man-Flu died before it could kill me. So that was good, I guess.

Of course, the other reason I watched it was Scarlett Johansson calling out maximum AI danger boy Sam Altman for stealing her voice and giving it to his new AI lovebot, ‘Sky,’ on ChatGPT this week.

1716609411151.png

As someone whose books were stolen to feed the Large Language Model embiggening Sam Altman’s personal worth, I had some sympathy for Ms Johansson.

Also, as someone with a limited set of skills, all of them dependent on juggling words into pleasing arrangements, I foresee a day that Sam Altman gets paid for Chat-GPT auto-generating a new John Birmingham book, and I get to sleep under a bridge.

Perhaps Scarlett and I could warm our hands together over the oil drum fire down there. That would be nice.

The Johansson thing, as Charlie Warzel points out in The Atlantic, is merely a reminder of Big Tech’s AI manifest-destiny kink: This is happening, whether you like it or not. “When your technology aims to rewrite the rules of society, it stands that society’s current rules need not apply.”

I suspect it’s why so many of my writer friends have an almost jihadist fear and loathing of Artificial Intelligence. It seems purpose-built to make us redundant at best or to exterminate us in the worst of cases. At least in the latter extreme, our misery would have company. You would all be fed into the shredders along with us.

This is the Terminator vision of AI gone wrong, and although it plugs directly into the more personal and intimate fears of those with greater exposure to Altman’s manifest destiny, I don’t think it’s the most likely existential downside.

I think the proximate danger is more Star Trek than Terminator. There is a meta-narrative of pain running from Kirk through Picard to whoever is serving as le capitaine-du-jour these days: the idea that pain and suffering are defining qualities of the human experience.

1716609448563.png

But the defining quality of the digital age is the algorithmic elimination of any pain and all suffering, no matter how liminal. “There’s an app for that,” promises a balm of code for any discomfort, from the pain of actually talking to another human being to order delivery noodles to the anguish of talking to another human being to decide whether they might be interested in dating you.

Indeed, “talking to another human being” is the behaviour most devalued and succeeded by AI’s threatening promise, especially as it slouches towards sentience—or some rough approximation thereof.

I don’t see the threat of AI as coming from a handful of billionaires who want to be trillionaires inventing a robo-writer that can churn out better airport novels than me in less time than it takes me to reach down and pull out its power chord.

My fear is that in our collective desire to avoid the friction and pain of being human, we’ll outsource to the machines so much of what gives rise to that friction and pain that what’s left is a very poor, undeveloped simulacrum of humanity and that such poverty of being and meanness of spirit could easily become the baseline.

The internet did not destroy our attention spans. Algorithms designed to attack the dopaminergic response chain and deliver billions of eyeballs to advertisers on sites and services like Facebook and TikTok destroyed them. You can read every volume of Gibbons’ Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire online if you want. But you’re more likely to click on a video of a cat riding a Roomba, and then another cat riding a different Roomba, and then something about Nazis. None of which was AI-driven.

But soon enough, everything will be.

And sure, it will suck when the skies fill up with AI-powered drones dropping grenades on us, but I suspect we’ll have screwed ourselves long before then by ceding to the machines, so much of what made us human in the first place.

* I got better.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

SAW

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I think we’ll do each other in before that occurs. Nature’s winding up quite nicely atm.

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
hddbtnTsnnRttghIYpVvuvdxHtk9tNdmJLYM0ibW.png

Issue 278 - 24th May 2024

A list of all the things that cutting immigration could solve​

Hello fellow human Australians,
Peter Dutton here to talk to you all about the biggest issue plaguing this country: immigration. I am sure it is the main thing you are thinking about when going through your day-to-day life.
Immigrants come to this country and they say “I am here to ruin this country.”
You just need to look at the housing market right now. I mean it is estimated that a bit over one hundred thousand houses have been bought by foreign investors. Clearly that is the sole cause of the shortage of millions of houses in Australia.
The only people who should be hoarding Aussie houses are true blue rich Aussie patriots trying to protect our shores from foreigners!
But it’s not just the housing crisis that is caused by immigrants. There are many more things that are to blame, including:​
  • The Economy​
  • Petrol prices​
  • Traffic​
  • The Hague wanting a warrant for Netanyahu​
  • My polling numbers​
  • The noise your mate’s car makes​
  • Burnt coffee​
  • Socks disappearing in the wash​
  • North Melbourne’s footy season​
  • The only carspot available having both the cars next to it parking over the line​
  • Really gross and unnecessary vegemite ‘crossover’ items​
  • The BBC getting most the money from Bluey​
  • Pens running out of ink​
  • Work emails with the phrase ‘as per my last email’​
  • One person going for a hug while the other goes for a handshake​
  • Unskippable youtube ads​
  • TikTok videos of men in wigs making the same annoying impression of women​
  • BMW drivers not knowing how to use their blinker​
  • When the pull tab on a can breaks off before the can opens​
  • Self-serve checkouts saying ‘unexpected item in bagging area’​
  • Hubbl ads​
If you want the end to all of these issues, remember to vote for the Coalition in the next election and do not, under any circumstance, ask us how immigration policy would actually work.
Yours,
Peter Dutton
Leader of Opposing​

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Dutton on Dingle:

Speaking on 2GB’s Ray Hadley program this morning, Dutton said it was “comical” that Tingle told the Sydney Writers’ Festival that Australia was a racist country.

“Laura Tingle’s outed herself now as somebody who is a partisan, she’s a Greens/Labor supporter. She is political in nature and therefore her credibility as a journalist really is shot,” he said.

“She’s just now completely destroyed her credibility, but they’ll keep her on because that’s what happens at the ABC. But as I say, I think it’s comical, and you just let them play their games."

Smack bang on the money Dutto, she's as compromised and biased as any journo in the country.

benn0

Baked
User ID
Dutton on Dingle:

Speaking on 2GB’s Ray Hadley program this morning, Dutton said it was “comical” that Tingle told the Sydney Writers’ Festival that Australia was a racist country.

“Laura Tingle’s outed herself now as somebody who is a partisan, she’s a Greens/Labor supporter. She is political in nature and therefore her credibility as a journalist really is shot,” he said.

“She’s just now completely destroyed her credibility, but they’ll keep her on because that’s what happens at the ABC. But as I say, I think it’s comical, and you just let them play their games."

Smack bang on the money Dutto, she's as compromised and biased as any journo in the country.
compared to the literal hundreds of journos that out themselves on the weekly if not daily as coalition supporters lol

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
From The Chaser, today .........

RE: Australian government response to Israeli war crime (template)​

CONFIDENTIAL - TO ALL LABOR STAFFERS,
HERE IS THE FILL-IN-THE-BLANKS GUIDE FOR RESPONDING TO ISRAEL’S BOMBING OF REFUGEES, USE THIS WHENEVER THE MEDIA ASKS QUESTIONS.
REMEMBER TO NEVER PUT THE IDEA OF SANCTIONS IN ANYONE’S HEAD AND ALWAYS TALK AS SPECIFICALLY AS POSSIBLE TO AVOID ANSWERING QUESTIONS ABOUT WHY WE ARE STILL SUPPLYING WEAPONS PARTS TO THE IDF. WE MUST DO THESE TO AVOID THE TRAGIC LOSS OF ANY SEATS IN THE UPCOMING ELECTION.
DO NOT SHARE THE TEMPLATE WITHOUT FILLING IT OUT!!!

To whom it may deeply concern,
The (term for ‘thing that happened’ that is vague and doesn’t sound too bad) that has been seen in (location) recently has been (adjective) concerning.
Australia once again maintains our position that (word that means ‘violence’ but in a term that doesn’t sound as scary) should not continue for too much longer.
This tragic (word that makes it sound like a natural disaster) was concerning and as such we are calling for (thing that sounds like action but isn’t).
We are also disturbed by (insert claim that has already been proven false to both-sides the blame for the deaths of civilians) and hope that a solution can be found to bring the hostages home without Israel crossing any (colour of line that Israel is allowed to cross) lines.
Yours in (word to help pretend like you actually care about any of the people in danger),
(Insert politician name here)

Top Bottom