The hermaphrodite thread!

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Madmick

Baked
User ID
You blokes just wony give in will ya

There were no hermies until they were pointed out , this has happened to winter + summer grows

As I said b4 , ppl have noticed them but not said anything, also as shown a lot of new growers were looking at nannas and didn't even know what they were looking at

You should do a run with the seeds yourself b4 any are sent to others , 1 to check for hermies , 2 so you don't waste time growing something that's not up to par

Med at least you run some sort of selection process, this is non existent with 90% of give away seeds , maybe 99%

It's bad science having a point of view and only looking for evidence that backs your claims and disregarding anything else

Or maybe fox can fill us in with his selection process, surely you don't through pollen off something you haven't even smoked tested onto something you also haven't even smoked a bud from ?

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID

There were no hermies until they were pointed out , this has happened to winter + summer grows

As I said b4 , ppl have noticed them but not said anything, also as shown a lot of new growers were looking at nannas and didn't even know what they were looking at

You should do a run with the seeds yourself b4 any are sent to others , 1 to check for hermies , 2 so you don't waste time growing something that's not up to par

Med at least you run some sort of selection process, this is non existent with 90% of give away seeds , maybe 99%

It's bad science having a point of view and only looking for evidence that backs your claims and disregarding anything else

Or maybe fox can fill us in with his selection process, surely you don't through pollen off something you haven't even smoked tested onto something you also haven't even smoked a bud from ?
I did also mention genetics... this is why even with regular as well as feminised I grow out the first generation to completion before making my parent choice and breeding from the clones made from them before flowering.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID

Wrong again Mick. I've grown out 18 of my 19 strains, most of them over a few grows. 🤣 Only 2 of 19 strains were previously issued without having been prior grown by me or my daughter. But keep taking wild guesses.🙃 Also I only gift a small percentage of my seeds. But thats another wild guess from you. In this case 31%C doesn't seem to be extreme heat( not ideal but not extreme), could be lots of other variables. Need to Oh, and I smoke everything I grow ( except for a small anount to break even (so that's 3 wrong statements from you in one reply. What a stupid thing to say. Keep digging. Lol

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Wrong again Mick. I've grown out 18 of my 19 strains, most of them over a few grows. 🤣 Only 2 of 19 strains were previously issued without having been prior grown by me or my daughter. But keep taking wild guesses.🙃 Also I only gift a small percentage of my seeds. But thats another wild guess from you. In this case 31%C doesn't seem to be extreme heat( not ideal but not extreme), could be lots of other variables. Need to Oh, and I smoke everything I grow ( except for a small anount to break even (so that's 3 wrong statements from you in one reply. What a stupid thing to say. Keep digging. Lol
And I think TSE members should stop listening to your grow advice. Period. If you still think it's not possible to environmentally stress a plant to hermie, you clearly should stop offering advice. Assuming they have been properly tested, only 5 to 10% of commercial seeds that hermie can be apportioned to genetics.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
I did also mention genetics... this is why even with regular as well as feminised I grow out the first generation to completion before making my parent choice and breeding from the clones made from them before flowering.
Yep so do I,
My process
Run a batch of plants , toss the males and grow out to maturity, hermies are tossed (whatever reason)

If all goes well ,I'll chop leaving just enough to reveg
Once it's dry , test smoke

There may only be 1 or 2 keepers from 5 or 6 different strains ,Xs

The selected plant/s will then be revegged and some seedlings from the same batch to find a suitable male , which when identified will be moved outside

The males generally mature a lot quicker, gather some pollen and qith a small paint brush apply said pollen

If all goes well , yeh ha, if not shit happens

When they make it through this stage I'll grow the some seeds out to check for hermies etc, then after chop obviously test the smoke again

If they get this far I'm fairly confident they'll be OK and then and only then will I offer them to others for free

Even after this process it's still quite possible there are still the hermie gene present but I consider after this process I've done my best not to pass this gene on

Some of these chucks I'll done ate now f2 and f3 and reasonably stable(the plants look and smell are consistent to the mother )

These f2 and f3 are then X with each other to create different Xs and the process syarts again making them onto f2 or f3

After 3 generations ill put some new genes on them , i really dont go past the 3rd generation without introducing some fresh genes

If you want to make your own seedyoit takes time but can be very rewarding

Madmick

Baked
User ID
And I think TSE members should stop listening to your grow advice. Period. If you still think it's not possible to environmentally stress a plant to hermie, you clearly should stop offering advice. Assuming they have been properly tested, only 5 to 10% of commercial seeds that hermie can be apportioned to genetics.
Really , that's not what I said , maybe you shouldn't give any advice on anything
Now if that's not trying to bait me you're kidding , go ban yourself

Madmick

Baked
User ID
This is how silly you are
So let me get this right , some plants hermie due to genetics 5 to 10%,

But plants without the hermie gene can in fact turn can be made to hermie because the grower made some errors
This what you're saying

Now who shouldn't be giving any advice

When all along all I've been saying that if the gene wasn't present in the first place they wouldn't hermie

Never did I say stress couldn't cause it alone, the genes still needed to be present

Wow you can't be that silly

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
A
Yep so do I,
My process
Run a batch of plants , toss the males and grow out to maturity, hermies are tossed (whatever reason)

If all goes well ,I'll chop leaving just enough to reveg
Once it's dry , test smoke

There may only be 1 or 2 keepers from 5 or 6 different strains ,Xs

The selected plant/s will then be revegged and some seedlings from the same batch to find a suitable male , which when identified will be moved outside

The males generally mature a lot quicker, gather some pollen and qith a small paint brush apply said pollen

If all goes well , yeh ha, if not shit happens

When they make it through this stage I'll grow the some seeds out to check for hermies etc, then after chop obviously test the smoke again

If they get this far I'm fairly confident they'll be OK and then and only then will I offer them to others for free

Even after this process it's still quite possible there are still the hermie gene present but I consider after this process I've done my best not to pass this gene on

Some of these chucks I'll done ate now f2 and f3 and reasonably stable(the plants look and smell are consistent to the mother )

These f2 and f3 are then X with each other to create different Xs and the process syarts again making them onto f2 or f3

After 3 generations ill put some new genes on them , i really dont go past the 3rd generation without introducing some fresh genes

If you want to make your own seedyoit takes time but can be very rewarding
Sounds like a good process. I use clones as i have lost several amazing plants that just refused to reveg! As I have no partners for my grape dragon it is being selfed. I intend to grow out the s1's to choose parents for 2 separate selfed lines which I will hopefully take to s3 or 4 in case one turns out better than the other also allows reintroducing the 2 lines back together.
You should donate a few seeds to the comps, im sure a regular stable strain would be much appreciated! I'm sure there would be plenty of people who would jump at the chance to try one.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
This is how silly you are
So let me get this right , some plants hermie due to genetics 5 to 10%,

But plants without the hermie gene can in fact turn can be made to hermie because the grower made some errors
This what you're saying

Now who shouldn't be giving any advice

When all along all I've been saying that if the gene wasn't present in the first place they wouldn't hermie

Never did I say stress couldn't cause it alone, the genes still needed to be present

Wow you can't be that silly
So, are you finally agreeing that a grower can stress a plant to hermie? ( I.e. beyond the 5 to 10% that occurs without any stress). Another way of looking at it, if the same seed/plant was grown in a stress free environment, it likely wouldn't hermie( notwithstanding the 5 to 10%)? In that case its produced bananas because it was stressed. If it was grown without any stress, it would be fine. By anyone's definition that's grower error, you cant blame a breeder for that. As a grower its our responsibility to create a stress free environment. Most strains carry hermie gene, but most strains don't hermie. It's the stress applied by grower error that forces the issue in those specific cases. Yes Mick, some of the hermies in your garden might actually be your fault. Accept it.

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Well should all move on to growing better plants and seeds. I think everyone's views here aren't different enough to warrant all these efforts! On the other hand, there seems to be hugely opposing views on those bloody Autos!!! Round 1,🤣🤣🤣🤣

Madmick

Baked
User ID
I give up
That's not what I said

No matter what I do to any given plant doesn't change the genetics

A plant can only show these traits whether it be caused by stress or no stress at all
ONLY IF THE GENES ARE PRESENT
I'll repeat

THERE IS NO STAGE IN A PLANTS LIFE WHERE STRESS CAN CAUSE IT TO CHANGE ITS GENETICAL MAKE UP

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I give up
That's not what I said

No matter what I do to any given plant doesn't change the genetics

A plant can only show these traits whether it be caused by stress or no stress at all
I'll repeat

THERE IS NO STAGE IN A PLANTS LIFE WHERE STRESS CAN CAUSE IT TO CHANGE ITS GENETICAL MAKE UP
Only 5 to 10% of hermies manifest without stress. Assuming commercial breeder has done proper testing, the rest are grower error. Don't blame the genetics if the plant would most likely have been fine until harvest, but a grower stressed it sufficiently hermie. That's not genetics fault, that's growers fault. Even with the presence of a hermie gene( present in almost all cannabis) the plant could have grown out fine if it wasn't subjected to environmental stress. But you're obviously special Mick. Because all of your grows are perfect from seed to harvest. So if theres a hermie in your garden it's IMPOSSIBLE theres anything wrong with your environment.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
So, are you finally agreeing that a grower can stress a plant to hermie? ( I.e. beyond the 5 to 10% that occurs without any stress). Another way of looking at it, if the same seed/plant was grown in a stress free environment, it likely wouldn't hermie( notwithstanding the 5 to 10%)? In that case its produced bananas because it was stressed. If it was grown without any stress, it would be fine. By anyone's definition that's grower error, you cant blame a breeder for that. As a grower its our responsibility to create a stress free environment. Most strains carry hermie gene, but most strains don't hermie. It's the stress applied by grower error that forces the issue in those specific cases. Yes Mick, some of the hermies in your garden might actually be your fault. Accept it.
No you cannot stress a plant to hermie unless the gene is in the plant!!

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Around 5-10% hermie no matter what
Around 5-10% will NOT hermie no matter what.
Everything else sitting anywhere in between with differing levels of sensitivity to environmental stresses that can trigger expression of the survival hermie gene.
Other than true hemies which do their thing no matter what, the remaining population will generally grow out faultless unless their dormant hermie gene is triggered by one or more adverse events in life. Still these same plants can grow out faultlessly under ideal conditions. I think we are mainly on the same page here. Let it go everybody. We can argue again next week when the next one rears it's ugly head 🤣 it's new years ffs. Happy new year everyone ✨

Mellow oldfark

Trichome Enthusiast
User ID
Let's face it a few on here are smoking Hermie gear from cannatrek which comes from a multinational supplier,I've sampled it myself so go figure.
No fault or blame for anyone here ,it is what it is.
Enough from me the subjects been done to death.
Very happy new year to all.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
No you cannot stress a plant to hermie unless the gene is in the plant!!
Yes, as almost all cannabis strains carry the hermie gene. But a plant with the existing gene won't necessarily exhibit a hermie unless it's stressed. A cutting from a mother plant can yield perfectly fine/stable in one environment, yet hermie in another more stressful environment.

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I have read several first hand accounts but can find no real studies that sometimes a seed plant that threw nannas late in flower sometimes will not in the following cloned generations. Something I might test out myself if I come across a good candidate.

Top Bottom