Root mealybugs.

• Thread starter Deleted member cpr
  • Start date
D

Deleted member cpr

My co2 bomb was a miserable faliure, i found bugs pretty easily. I Think predators are in order for my veg plants, while the bug numbers are low. I'm going to have to wait for the neem to calm down a bit though.

I'm not giving up yet frank but I get where you are coming from.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now
D

Deleted member cpr

My predators rocked up today, about 50K hypoaspis. They are ground dwelling mite mostly used for scarid fly and gnats but will eat baby root mealy bugs, so I'm told.
20200626_140110.jpg20200626_134807.jpg

Buzzo

Vegetating
User ID
I use Neem Oil every 10 days....5ml per liter....Fucks off the Gnats and the Springtails....Its organic and it works and its simple to use.
Using Predators is like using Cane Toads to eradicate the Cane Beetle...Worked a fucking treat didnt it

Defsnotacop

Curing
User ID
Will neem oil effect living soil? As in kill the good bacteria as well as bad. I have a few fungus gnats and was thinking the predator bugs will be the go. But neem oil is easier to get.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Will neem oil effect living soil? As in kill the good bacteria as well as bad. I have a few fungus gnats and was thinking the predator bugs will be the go. But neem oil is easier to get.

you got the easy as soil yeah?, it contains neem already.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
Oh yeah. Cool. I have a sticky trap with a few gnats on it. But when I checked the dirt surface, I couldn't find anything.

You wanna be looking for the larvae, you won'[t find the adults in the top of the soil. Have a quick look for tiny little almost look like short mini worms, thatt's the alrvae and what is actually doing damage to the roots. The adults just fly around laying more eggs.

Buzzo

Vegetating
User ID
If it's only Fungus Gnats you are targetting then BTI ( Bacillus thuringiensis serotype israelensis) is the way to go.
The most cost effective way to get and use BTI is Mosquito Bits, hard to get in Australia.

They are little pieces of dried Corn coated in BTI...Activates with water...The BTI fucks up the Gut of the Gnat Larvae.
Safe to use in Bird Baths and Fish Ponds....and this was it's original purpose until the Dumb Arse Makers figured out they were missing out on a massive segment of the Market....It now has on the Label it will Kill Gnat Larvae
Will not affect the Adults. I had an adult get stuck by the sticky Trichromes on the Bud a couple of weeks ago...Ha..ha Bastard!

51jwbM82G7L._AC_.jpg

You use about a teaspoon of it on top of each pot every 2 weeks or you can put them in a Sock or pantihose or whatever and place in the Res

Last edited:

Defsnotacop

Curing
User ID
I dug around in the roots of the 2 males I pulled, and couldn't find any little larvae. So I think i just have the adults fucking about in there. The plants look healthy enough.

Richcomingfromyou

Vegetating
User ID
Type of chlorobenzine. Aromatic hydrocarbon. TRIFLUMURON. A one off use in vege shouldn't cause any major retention of toxins. Even early flower. Repeated applications I'd be wary of however.

D

Deleted member cpr

I purchased another few thousand hypoaspis as a preventative. I haven't seen any mealys for a while. Hopefully this will be the end of my mealy bug saga as I don't really want to buy predators every run.

The original infested plants that I treated weren't damaged too badly as I got a record yield off them. I'm wondering if I've had them for ages without knowing.

Top Bottom