Root mealybugs.

• Thread starter Deleted member cpr
  • Start date
D

Deleted member cpr

I got mealybugs living in my root balls, yay! I found them on my bloom room, which has 3 weeks to go.

Any idea for treatments. I was thinking a peroxide bath for my bloom space and a neem drench for my veg space. Im not sure if they are in the veglings but I want to treat them, just to be sure.

What would you lot do?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now
D

Deleted member cpr

Never even knew they existed.... How did you discover them?
Me neither! I flooded my pots to give them a flush and the little fuckers gathered on my feeder rings.

Got a positive ID from my shop guy, and something to kill them. back with details in a bit.

Pics are the babies, which are very mobile.
photo-2020-06-08 16-42-31.jpgphoto-2020-06-08 16-45-00.jpgphoto-2020-06-08 16-46-59.jpg

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
There ya go... got lucky by the sounds. I have had them on non canna plants in my garden before, well the ones that live on foliage... shits of things.

D

Deleted member cpr

Also, he decanted off about 10ml for me, no charge. Said it's really expensive to buy, comes in 500ml bottles for 500 bucks or something like that.

D

Deleted member cpr

I think it's nasty shit, but non systemic. They use it on shrooms, apparently. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little worried I don't want to make poison buds,

D

Deleted member cpr

look into beneficial bugs to combat the nasty ones No need for chem treatments then (y)
Sure, in the future I will but Ive got a problem now. I cant wait on beneficials this time.

I agree, puggle solution is gold. Shame I can't race down and get me a pack of bugs.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
Damn that sucks cooper, never dealt with root mealies. But have the bigger ones on cacti in the greenhouse, can just use metho and a cotton bud on them thankfully.

Just doing a bit of reading on them, https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-6.pdf

Seem quite nasty, spread after irrigation.

They seem to have a long life cycle one drench should do. That product says it has no withholding period, but it is only registered for use on mushrooms so unsure if it will effect a plant like Cannabis, active ingredient is TRIFLUMURON. Also seems that product will mostly effect the larvae and not the adults, unsure if you will see the adults persist through to harvest and how much damage they potentially will do.

Got to have come in from somewhere, finding out how will help in future as well

D

Deleted member cpr

Thanks for looking into it Frank. There's not much useful info about root mealys that I could find. It's all doom and gloom stuff.

It turns out that the trifluroblablabla acts by inhibiting the moult cycle, much like neem. It's an easy fix, apparently. I've bombed my girls with it. I'll let you know if I have headaches and seizures when I'm smoking the buds. The veg room got neemed, not that I've seen anything in there.

I brought them in via sloppy hygiene. First bugs I've had in two years, been very lucky until now.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
How long through veg are you? can you take cuttings and restart? honestly what i would do. take cuttings, give veg room a good clean.

D

Deleted member cpr

Ta Frank. I'm a bit too commited for that. I'll just load em with neem throughout veg. Anything that has a taste should die. I'm confident about the neem, just don't like using in flower. If it becomes an endless cycle of torment I'll reassess.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Ta Frank. I'm a bit too commited for that. I'll just load em with neem throughout veg. Anything that has a taste should die. I'm confident about the neem, just don't like using in flower. If it becomes an endless cycle of torment I'll reassess.
I use neem a lot in me soil when i first bring it in from outside coops and it works really well for killing nats.
It should work the same for any bugs in ya root system.
You in coco but a??

D

Deleted member cpr

Nah mate, perlite. I used neem in Adelaide a fair bit and it's gold IMO. I think I might start using it as a routine in veg. Don't think there's any harm in it.

Top Bottom