OzSTS STS spray for making fem seed

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Pikey

Baked
User ID
Probably is, you never know 🤷‍♂️. All the more reason to always use a safe address with anything grow related.

paranoid_dogdroid.jpg

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Stupid questions:
1. When you apply STS to a plant, does it affect only local tissue or the whole plant? ie, does just one branch form male flowers?
2. Is it possible to isolate self-pollination to a limited area rather than seeding the whole plant? Also thinking in terms of collecting pollen to save
3. When growing a seed crop, is there any difference in flowering time to ensure seed maturation compared to bud harvest times?
4. For those who do use STS, are you doing it with small plants generally? ie, clone and flip setups?

Just thinking how practical this might be. Don't have the space to dedicate a whole area for it. But might have some time in a bit and would be keen to try

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Stupid questions:
1. When you apply STS to a plant, does it affect only local tissue or the whole plant? ie, does just one branch form male flowers?
2. Is it possible to isolate self-pollination to a limited area rather than seeding the whole plant? Also thinking in terms of collecting pollen to save
3. When growing a seed crop, is there any difference in flowering time to ensure seed maturation compared to bud harvest times?
4. For those who do use STS, are you doing it with small plants generally? ie, clone and flip setups?

Just thinking how practical this might be. Don't have the space to dedicate a whole area for it. But might have some time in a bit and would be keen to try
1. Generally only local spray area produces pollen BUT the entire plant absorbs some solution, and STS can be deadly to humans if consumed. Aside from the pollen, the entire plant becomes useless for consumption. So better to spray the entire plant to maximise pollen production. The exception is selfing(S1) where plant fucks itself....lol. 2. Yes. Use a small brush( with pollencollected in a container), and cover the rest of the plant with rags/ newspaper while applying pollen. 3. Seeds are generally mature at end of week 6 from pollination date. 4. I spray STS 24 -28 days from seed, and flip to 12/12 on the same night as spray. I use 4 litre pots

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
1. Generally only local spray area produces pollen BUT the entire plant absorbs some solution, and STS can be deadly to humans if consumed. Aside from the pollen, the entire plant becomes useless for consumption. So better to spray the entire plant to maximise pollen production. The exception is selfing(S1) where plant fucks itself....lol. 2. Yes. Use a small brush( with pollencollected in a container), and cover the rest of the plant with rags/ newspaper while applying pollen. 3. Seeds are generally mature at end of week 6 from pollination date. 4. I spray STS 24 -28 days from seed, and flip to 12/12 on the same night as spray. I use 4 litre pots
Excellent, thank you for the detailed response, makes sense. So, you do a sacrificial pollen run, collect then use that to pollinate later, and that can be controlled. Neat. So the first step is making pollen and then figuring out what I use it on. Unless I let the plant self and in which case just let it pollinate and collect the seeds at the end as a one -and-done approach. I suppose pollen could also be collected doing that also.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
It’s expensive considering the base ingredients are pretty cheap on their own in salt form and your essentially paying a middle man to add some distilled water to make some concentrations that you than mix.
I had a quick look but couldn't find the salts easily or cheap - the silver nitrate in particular was expensive... I'd rather DIY but maybe paying for convenience is worth it - don't need mountains of the stuff. Any advice?

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I had a quick look but couldn't find the salts easily or cheap - the silver nitrate in particular was expensive... I'd rather DIY but maybe paying for convenience is worth it - don't need mountains of the stuff. Any advice?
Ebay Australia. Ensure the seller you purchase from actually posts from within Australia, not overseas. Just buy small batches of dry ingredients, as a little goes a long way. However if you just want to reverse one plant, and have no further use for STS, then premix might best suit your needs

R3za92

Baked
User ID
It’s “expensive” because of the minimum order quantities. But the quantity you buy will make literal litres of concentrate.

These guys are pretty good for the silver nitrate. I just purchased the sodium thiosulfate off eBay. Pentahydrate is fine instead of anhydrous (and a bit cheaper) you just need to use a little bit more to make up for the 5 extra water molecules in the penta

Edit: aus chem are closed for Christmas so you won’t be able to order until after the 28th.

Also link for sodium thiosulfate from same place for ease of purchase https://auschemsource.com.au/all/sodium-thiosulphate/

Last edited:

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Thanks for the info. Did a bit more digging and found a photo supply place nearby that stocks these chems. Can get 10g of the silver nitrate and 1kg of the sodium thiosulfate for $66. That'll be enough for a while. But I might wait and get them cheaper from auschem after xmas

Top Bottom