Making oil - methodology q's

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
I've definitely found this the easiest way with the magicook pro. Not pressing the resin from the bags makes it easier to decarb in the machine
If everything is dry enough I'll do a run on the weekend. Be about 12 days hanging by then and is on track. I've also got a bunch of heads in the freezer which were fresh frozen. I'll still be keeping a bunch of vape, but the rest is all for extraction. I did eye off a rosin press, but couldn't justify the cost. As it is, seems pressing bubble into rosin is how to get the high grade stuff, so can always investigate later.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Otherwise you can’t’ go past organic coconut oil in a Magic Butter machine. Find their chocolate recipe on the US website.
60 grams of Thc coc oil,
When I make chocolate I use cocao butter and infuse that then it's I/2 cup cocao butter 1/2 cup coco oil also infused 30g cocao powder and agave necter taste (depends how sweet your tooth is). Make sure it's cocao powder not cocoa powder. This is for the dark chocolate lovers. add the cocao butter to a double boiler until melted and then mix in the rest untill smooth and able to be poured and pour into molds. You have to keep them in the fridge though because they melt easy because of the coco oil

Hudo

Baked
User ID
If everything is dry enough I'll do a run on the weekend. Be about 12 days hanging by then and is on track. I've also got a bunch of heads in the freezer which were fresh frozen. I'll still be keeping a bunch of vape, but the rest is all for extraction. I did eye off a rosin press, but couldn't justify the cost. As it is, seems pressing bubble into rosin is how to get the high grade stuff, so can always investigate later.
I got a 300 buck one off ebay works good

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
I got a 300 buck one off ebay works good
Oh yeah? One of the China jobs? I was having a look at them and also going direct via Aliexpress. Wasn't sure if the smaller ones were worth it. Thought it would set back closer to $800. Saw someone on here using one which was about that price. I don't see myself going nuts with using it. I'm still adapting to new ways haha. Got onto the vape with MC and running a ball rig now - just ordered a quartz banger and bits so will be able to dab

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
QWISO is nicely evaporating. I have it in a large square glass dish. Any suggestion for avoiding precipitate being left behind on the glass? Figure scrap it down with a blade might work but I don't know if I have any on hand

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Yeah I just had a look ant there not on ebay anymore
but this is it on ali express. I only squash about 7 g at a time when I feel like a dab
Nice - was having another look and this came up. Found the website of the manufacturer to cross check. Seems it can be had locally for $400AUD. Not bad at all.

From the few videos I've watched from the nug smasher guys, looks like a decent yield if done from either flower or bubble hash. I guess depends how often I'd want to dab... still unsure! I will wait for the banger and coil to arrive and try it from the QWISO stuff. if that tickles me, a rosin press is appealing for ease.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
2.jpeg

Got a bit of an oil slick forming which is a good sign. The green really faded and is now very yellowish brown. I'm not sure I'll leave it uncovered overnight... might get a bit dry... but can always redissolve in more ethanol I guess

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
QWISO is nicely evaporating. I have it in a large square glass dish. Any suggestion for avoiding precipitate being left behind on the glass? Figure scrap it down with a blade might work but I don't know if I have any on hand
Gentle heat is your friend, heat will make it more viscous, allowing it to flow. I place my dish on top of the wood heater with a block under one corner and it all runs to the opposite corner. Whilst it's still warm, I can pour it into my miron glass jar. Much less pissin around than trying to scrap it clean.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Yeah It's still not fully evaporated since I poured it into a small glass. I'll give it some heat this arvo to finish it off. It's looking good though.

And while trawling last night somehow got myself chatting to a nice lady named Kate on Alibaba who hooked me up with an AP2047 rosin press for $368USD shipped. Not a bad price I thought - from what I could see, the cheapest unit with a pressure gauge which I thought a good idea to be able to reproduce results etc. Hopefully a good idea on my part. They're (PRC) about to head into their Spring Festival so I gotta wait a couple of weeks for them to ship. But it'll be sent via air freight so hopefully get it around March

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
signal-2024-01-30-142834.jpeg

An update on the QWISO. It was taking ages to dry. I had tried a warm water bath but not much change - just very slow. So I transferred to a shotglass in a pot of water on the stove to boil off the last of the water. This had the benefit of decarboxilating the oil so now that it is dry (and cooling in a glass dish), I'll mix with some MCT oil and take orally... see how it goes.

Not sure this will be my go to method. I am hoping I like bubble hash making - which is next on my list. Then maybe I'll have my glass to try dabbing and then eventually the rosin press...

In terms if mixing the above with MCT, not sure of ratio. I'll try and weigh a yield of the oil before. Doesn't look super high, but imagine it's concentrated well

Hudo

Baked
User ID
View attachment 44246

An update on the QWISO. It was taking ages to dry. I had tried a warm water bath but not much change - just very slow. So I transferred to a shotglass in a pot of water on the stove to boil off the last of the water. This had the benefit of decarboxilating the oil so now that it is dry (and cooling in a glass dish), I'll mix with some MCT oil and take orally... see how it goes.

Not sure this will be my go to method. I am hoping I like bubble hash making - which is next on my list. Then maybe I'll have my glass to try dabbing and then eventually the rosin press...

In terms if mixing the above with MCT, not sure of ratio. I'll try and weigh a yield of the oil before. Doesn't look super high, but imagine it's concentrated well
Put it back in the shot glass and in oven at about 110c if it starts to bubble its not fully decarb and let it go untill the bubbles stop

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Put it back in the shot glass and in oven at about 110c if it starts to bubble its not fully decarb and let it go untill the bubbles stop
Oven might have been a better idea - I even had it going during the day also... Oh well, it worked out. I boiled the liquid right down until all water had boiled off. I've just scraped up all the lovely product from the above image:

signal-2024-01-31-113203_002.jpeg
2.73g of lovely thick oil stuff. Thats a touch over 10% yield. Reminds me of making the RSO a long way back. I'll mix this with 50mL of MCT and try a dose and monitor for effect.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Ended up mixing the tar with 100mL of MCT oil and split it into 4x25mL bottles. So let me run some crude calcs...

25g starting material, 2.73g yield, lets say around 10% contamination so 2.5g yield or 10% extracted from starting material.

2.5g in 100mL of MCT oil, assuming that 2.5g is pure means that a 1mL dose would give roughly 25mg of THC. Which seems like a fairly high dose compared to vaping or what I know of friends who are prescribed oil products. Might need to take only a 0.25mL starting dose to test.

If all the above checks out, then I'm pretty happy with the result. I can refine my technique to speed it up and knock it out in a day. But this supply should last me a while I reckon. I'll need to work out shelf life and best storage - maybe in the fridge

signal-2024-01-31-144237_009.jpeg

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Hey mate just saying been making oil for a while now and never bothered de-carbing as when heating and evape of iso does it 4 me
Not sure if that’s a good thing but evape with a hot plate makes it a hell of a lot faster
And yeah take it easy when first trying finished product (don’t lick the spoon) unless you enjoy space travel

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Hey mate just saying been making oil for a while now and never bothered de-carbing as when heating and evape of iso does it 4 me
Not sure if that’s a good thing but evape with a hot plate makes it a hell of a lot faster
And yeah take it easy when first trying finished product (don’t lick the spoon) unless you enjoy space travel
So you vape the oil you make? This is strictly for oral consumption. I'm not familiar with the oil vapes - was curious regarding them for MC when I update my script. I'm more trying to emulate the oils that are sold via MC script and dosing in a similar fashion. I'm new to all this so keen to learn and take notes from you guys doing it for a while. I've always been a flower guy, so this is all new. My dad spoke to me about Lebanese and Turkish hash he saw in the 60s and 70s... I only recall it on a few rare occasions

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Those types, Leb and Turk, are trichome hash, no solvent. This is a trichome hash. https://www.theserratededge.com/forum/threads/hash-making.873/post-92315
Rather than an oil, which uses a solvent.
Yeah the old school stuff. Something about wearing a leather apron and running through fields with arms out stretched collecting up all the resin.

Cheers for the link on the forum, I'll have a read. I'm gonna do a bubble hash run soon, but also curious about dry sift based on your result. I have heard of it, will investigate also

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I think u mis read something mate, a bit rough on the ol lungs I reckon, nah always in the gob or under tongue
If u make it yourself then u know what’s in it is the go(y)

Top Bottom