Making oil - methodology q's

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Having harvested, I have a bunch of material I want to condense down. I'd like to make an oil. I've looked around at a bunch of recipes and such. Seems many ways to do it. I've gone and bought a litre of MCT oil and a half kilo of sunflower lecithin. As for equipment, this all depends on a few other factors. I've got a few ideas and would be interested in feedback:

1 - instead of using all the bud directly in oil, I could bubble hash it first. Might make it more concentrate and easier to dose, but will miss out on full spectrum from plant material?

2 - Should I do an ethanol extraction first, then mix with the MCT oil? I think this is more like how MC oils are produced. I have a bunch of high proof alcohol I made a couple of years ago

3 - A combo of steps 1 and 2 could be done. Would also need to factor in decarbing the material and if I do that as a separate step or incorporate it into the extraction step.

4 - As for equipment, I have the MagiCook Pro, but also have a heating mantle and glass wear. I don't know if I really want to dig that out and setup, but would allow of ethanol recovery if I did bother. Also have a well supplied kitchen to go old school with a double boiler too.

I'm thinking of wanting to make a fairly concentrate oil, which I can then dilute down further and then dose from once I work out appropriate dilution/dose. The material I have to work with is not top grade, but good to practice with before I get more serious down the track.

Cheers

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Love to grow

Foot man
User ID
Having harvested, I have a bunch of material I want to condense down. I'd like to make an oil. I've looked around at a bunch of recipes and such. Seems many ways to do it. I've gone and bought a litre of MCT oil and a half kilo of sunflower lecithin. As for equipment, this all depends on a few other factors. I've got a few ideas and would be interested in feedback:

1 - instead of using all the bud directly in oil, I could bubble hash it first. Might make it more concentrate and easier to dose, but will miss out on full spectrum from plant material?

2 - Should I do an ethanol extraction first, then mix with the MCT oil? I think this is more like how MC oils are produced. I have a bunch of high proof alcohol I made a couple of years ago

3 - A combo of steps 1 and 2 could be done. Would also need to factor in decarbing the material and if I do that as a separate step or incorporate it into the extraction step.

4 - As for equipment, I have the MagiCook Pro, but also have a heating mantle and glass wear. I don't know if I really want to dig that out and setup, but would allow of ethanol recovery if I did bother. Also have a well supplied kitchen to go old school with a double boiler too.

I'm thinking of wanting to make a fairly concentrate oil, which I can then dilute down further and then dose from once I work out appropriate dilution/dose. The material I have to work with is not top grade, but good to practice with before I get more serious down the track.

Cheers
Glass ware hey had some Walter white type shit goin down in a past life mate😂👍

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I just did a run of oil in a magicook pro. I usually run all trim and scrap through the bubble bags first before decarb. I decarb about 14grams of broken down flower at a time through the magicook pro. I infused 350 ml of mct with 30grams of flower after claiming 320+ ml oil I then infused a second time with a second 30gram load. This makes a strong oil. This time I only used a few grams of hash but have done entirely hash runs, it makes decarbing a larger amount of thc easier and allows you to infuse more thc in the pro per run.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
I just did a run of oil in a magicook pro. I usually run all trim and scrap through the bubble bags first before decarb. I decarb about 14grams of broken down flower at a time through the magicook pro. I infused 350 ml of mct with 30grams of flower after claiming 320+ ml oil I then infused a second time with a second 30gram load. This makes a strong oil. This time I only used a few grams of hash but have done entirely hash runs, it makes decarbing a larger amount of thc easier and allows you to infuse more thc in the pro per run.
Yeah sweet as man, cheers for sharing. That's not far off what I was thinking. I wanted to do a bubble hash run with some of it anyhow, so that's no sweat. If using those ratios you got a strong oil, then no doubt I could make a fairly high concentrate. Not sure yet how many grams I'll use - waiting another week for drying before tackling

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
1 - instead of using all the bud directly in oil, I could bubble hash it first.
Depending on your method when you say 'Bubble hash', that's often with iced water and stirred/agitated. Not sure how the oil would go after a water cycle
If you did a dry sift, less water/ice=less mess, it'd make standardizing a dose easier too, measuring hash dust.

I make some iso oil (qwiso) then dehydrate it in a rice cocker, just at the end of the solvent evap I add a teaspoon of distilled water. As that water evaporates it removes the last of the iso completely and the impurities that boil off between 80-100C. My oil sets like toffee, I need to warm it to get a spot 🤣 Welds my arse to the lounge every time 🤣:love::love:

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Depending on your method when you say 'Bubble hash', that's often with iced water and stirred/agitated. Not sure how the oil would go after a water cycle
To clarify, I mean what I would do is take the bud and turn it all into hash with the bubble bags, and then dissolve that into the oil. Rather than adding the bud directly to the oil to infuse. It's a bit of an extra step, but I will be doing it anyhow with some of it.

I don't mean using the bud to make oil once it's been through a bubble hash run 🙃 :oops:

qwiso was something I thought of doing. Sounds like it ends up thick like RSO with your method. That's still for oral consumption?

Hudo

Baked
User ID

Cheers
Hey mate I've been making my tinctures oils etc with bubble hash it's just easier but it's purely to get smashed. When I make stuff for my disabled mates I use isopropyl. wash it in iso for a couple of minutes and make a Rick simpson type oil then I out that in oven to decarb in a shot glass (wait till it stops bubbling and done) them mix that with food grade ethanol(dynahemp). I do it this way because I have to buy the ethanol and it's expensive and you don't lose any in the process. The iso I can get at the cleaning supply place for 50 bucks for 5 litres

Stackr

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I like simple things. I just decarb a tray of buds in the oven 110°c/110 mins.
Stick it in the Magicook Pro, fill to Max line with MCT oil. Let it run and cool, then filter through coffee filter paper for the final product. Good shit.
I'd like to add Lecithin to the Magicook mix, but I don't have any and it works a treat anyway. The fun part is finding the correct dose, especially if you start with too much and reduce the dose accordingly.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Excellent ideas and info all, thank you! I'll probably have enough weight to try and maybe do a couple of small runs trying some of these methods and see which I like best.

I made RSO about 10 years ago for my old man when he had terminal cancer. Was real cowboy stuff in the backyard with a ricecooker and a shitload of hydrocarbon... Trying to step it up to something more professional this time.

Give me another week or so to get the material sorted and I'll do a few side by side runs and make notes to share

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I make some iso oil (qwiso) then dehydrate it in a rice cocker, just at the end of the solvent evap I add a teaspoon of distilled water. As that water evaporates it removes the last of the iso completely and the impurities that boil off between 80-100C. My oil sets like toffee, I need to warm it to get a spot 🤣 Welds my arse to the lounge every time 🤣:love::love:
very interesting looks like I'm going up to the salvo's to find a rice cooker I've got to give this a crack. I usually do bho and put it in my vac chamber for dabs because I don't like the taste of dabbing the iso extract

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
1.jpeg

This is the prep for a QWISO run. 25g of herb and 350ml of 95+% ethanol. In the freezer overnight.

Curious to see what the yield is like. Going well, I'll go again but decarb the herb first. But perhaps will switch to ISO similar to the method mentioned previous

SAW

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Hey Ed. I’d use the ethanol instead of the ISO. I make a lot of RSO and used ethanol until Covid pushed the price too high. ISO worries me a bit, but it’s all I can afford and that’s the overpriced stuff from the local hydro shop not the cheaper stuff others mention. I’m serious considering buying a decent still to make my own.

SAW

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Re the rice cooker, buy one with a pot style lid (like a saucepan completely removable) not a hinged one like I got.
I know Rick states a quick rinse and that’s probably better, but my method I leave for months soaking, fortnightly agitations. Why? Because I’m lazy. I usually use 8-10 ounces of flower in about 2L of ISO, it’ll shrink when wet and get fully covered. I use paper coffee filters and a funnel to clean up. Gets very slow and I try to use at least three filters as they slow up with the sediment they collect.
The cooking happens outdoors on the veranda, a fan if no wind. I was taught just a little water but now use a bit more, say 3 x 10ml pipette squirts during the process. I have learnt too much can cause an explosive reaction so go slowly. I was too generous once and a loud crack and drops of quite warm oil were on my wall and head.
I think the water’s important as ISO evaps at low 80C while water is 100C so I expect by the time the water has gone (no more steam) and my nose can’t detect ISO I’m pretty confident the ISO is all gone, though not as confident as Merlin above re any impurities.
My next blend I’m expecting 2x 25ml syringes of pure RSO. My standard blend is when I get to the end of the cook off, I’ll do a quick extract of all the oil in a large syringe to measure, return to rice cooker then add organic hemp seed oil to create a ratio of 6:9 (Thc:hemp seed oil). Cook a little longer to blend. This allows the oil to stay liquid, just shake regularly. Into a 15ml brown dropper bottle for use. I have a drop before bed (lentil) size and sleep like a baby. If by chance I do go for a pee at night I’m off chops. Best medicine.
It’s really liberating making ice hash or oil. Once you can put half an elbow into a brew and not care about the value (to me it’s $200 an Oz organic sungrown) it’s really easy. Another plus it concentrates volume into smaller discrete quantities that can be hidden.
Happy creating 🤞

SAW

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Otherwise you can’t’ go past organic coconut oil in a Magic Butter machine. Find their chocolate recipe on the US website.
60 grams of Thc coc oil, one block of your favourite Cadburys, bit of soy lethicin, smidge of sugar into a double boiler. Melt together, then into silicon ice cube tray into freezer. Tastes perfect, and be wary. Best gift I ever gave to a great mate of mine dying from the big C. He loved it, got him out of bed, made him hungry and very happy. He’d comfortably eat 5-6. A half would smash me.
I use a really small pot and a stainless bowl for my double boiler.
Happy cooking.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Hey Ed. I’d use the ethanol instead of the ISO. I make a lot of RSO and used ethanol until Covid pushed the price too high. ISO worries me a bit, but it’s all I can afford and that’s the overpriced stuff from the local hydro shop not the cheaper stuff others mention. I’m serious considering buying a decent still to make my own.
Cheers for that - and yeah I'd rather use ethanol over ISO. I've still got around 10L of home made so that'll get me through a while (though I use it for cleaning and stuff also). Can make more when I need it. I prefer to be self sufficient and yeah reduces issues of potential contaminates since I've got a big reflux rig and usually run it through a couple of times (got carbon to filter but usually don't bother).

I just finished shaking up the QWISO - pulled through a bit too much chlorophyll. Makes sense since this material isn't super cured yet. Good for a practice run. Hopefully it'll evap today with the warm weather

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Top Bottom