Home Brew

Tunkers

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Well that was a nice response!

My experience so far has been very similar to growing. Once you get the principles and understand the process, it's no harder then doing a hydro grow. Cleaning and sterilising isn't the most fun but everything else takes very little effort. Temperature is the only factor I've had to take into consideration. Last 2 batches have gone sour / cidery with the hotter temps.

My cost effective answer? Hole in the ground haha

PXL_20231115_222117402.jpg

PXL_20231115_222057024.MP.jpg

I'll know by Tuesday if it worked... How do you guys control fermenting temp?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
i try and wait til lunchtime because im civilized n shit
It's fucking 3.30pm what time you have lunch? 🤣
I'm also recovering from shoulder surgery so day drinking is fine!
Border line alcoholic. Sure I mentioned that too! 🤣

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID
i used the old fish tank heater trick during the winter and the summer was ok because i had a room in the middle of the house that just held a good temp.

Reactions: HGO

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID
It's fucking 3.30pm what time you have lunch? 🤣
I'm also recovering from shoulder surgery so day drinking is fine!
Border line alcoholic. Sure I mentioned that too! 🤣
im on the west coast. we are generally more civilised over here:cool:
im a day drinking dole bludger too but i do have a good excuse

IMG_1252.JPG

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
yeah if you gonna break a part of your body i dont recommend that bit
I came off me bike in the bush trying to follow a bloke who's placed top 10 in the fink desert race at 80kph slid into an embankment launched off it and got folded around a tree. Broke me arm cracked me pelvis and disaligned me spine from me pelvis! Got got to a chiro every 2 to 3 months or I can't bend over!!
Lost me X-rays of that.

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID
its basically Spondylolisthesis that i was born with but due to working too hard i made it a lot worse to the point the bone cracked and the disc wore away to nothing

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
its basically Spondylolisthesis that i was born with but due to working too hard i made it a lot worse to the point the bone cracked and the disc wore away to nothing
Back breaking work litterley!! 😫
Mine was from thinking I'm a far better rider than I am!! 🤣

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID
Back breaking work litterley!! 😫
Mine was from thinking I'm a far better rider than I am!! 🤣
i was an orderly for about 4 years and i saw many bike riders in hospital with broken bodies. probably outnumbered the smokers.
but jack hammering and building concrete pools is what fucked me.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
i was an orderly for about 4 years and i saw many bike riders in hospital with broken bodies. probably outnumbered the smokers.
but jack hammering and building concrete pools is what fucked me.
Yeah bikes can be fucking dangerous but fuck they are fun!!
Scariest thing I've ever experienced was watching me son a few years back on ktm sx 50 which is the fastest 50cc bike made come out of a burm and the throttle got stuck wide open! High sided him at about 80kph and the little cunt rag dolled down the track for about 30m. Took me about 30 seconds to run over and he didn't move. He was out cold for about 40 to 50 seconds!! Was a feeling I've never felt!!
Didn't put him off riding but! 🤣

Last edited:

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Well that was a nice response!

My experience so far has been very similar to growing. Once you get the principles and understand the process, it's no harder then doing a hydro grow. Cleaning and sterilising isn't the most fun but everything else takes very little effort. Temperature is the only factor I've had to take into consideration. Last 2 batches have gone sour / cidery with the hotter temps.

My cost effective answer? Hole in the ground haha

View attachment 41266

View attachment 41267

I'll know by Tuesday if it worked... How do you guys control fermenting temp?
They made wine this way for millennia. Clay pots buried to control fermentation. Beer should work the same.

Also had a thought. What about growing your own hops. Certainly got the space to do it.

Orb

Curing
Community Member
User ID
gave it a crack a few year back, decent results with stout/porters, total disasters making cider for some reason

I kept it under the stairs where it was dark and space was small but got warm in there sometimes so put two frozen 2l bottles of water and wee fan on which did surprisingly decent job of keeping temp stable but was painful changing over the bottles every fucking day!

reckon ur idea to bury em is the goer!

Tunkers

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Well I've ended up with another failed brew. Tasted sour which is what I had attributed to the higher temperatures. So there's something wrong with my cleaning / sanitizing or the temps were still too high in the hole. Either way I give up until after summer so I can at least know for sure.

How do you other brewers clean and sanitize?

Stackr

Baked
Community Member
User ID
It's been a few years since I've brewed. Mainly I used Sodium Percarbonate and sometimes Star San (mainly Phosphoric Acid).

Tunkers

Curing
Community Member
User ID
It's been a few years since I've brewed. Mainly I used Sodium Percarbonate and sometimes Star San (mainly Phosphoric Acid).
Yeah same I scrub the fermenter and kegs with precarbonate and then run a phosphoric acid sanitizer through all my equipment / beer lines 🤷‍♂️

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Yeah, too much heat is your enemy from my limited experience, years back. I found during fermentation you gotta maintain those temps within the window. If it gets too hot or cold it'll for too long it'll stuff a batch.

Also found storing your bottled stuff in a nice cool location made for quite a nice drop some 9 months later.

Used to sterilise with napisan, or something similar.

Overall, had my fair share of hit 'n misses with home brew.

Top Bottom