Fungus Gnats

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
DFC067E5-219E-4D35-B9C8-258AD5189D7E.pngI’ve done a lot of reading and this is supposed to help too. I grabbed some today and I’ll give it a spray later and let you know put it goes. Sand topsoil has helped but there’s still a few around.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
Pyrethrum will kill off the adults flying around if you hit them with it, yellow sticky traps around the top of pots will do a similar job. I wouldn't be drenching roots with it so will still need to do something about the larvae eating the roots and doing damage.

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
the last time I used it I sprayed the plants with water after about 20 minutes to clean the shit away ,,,didn’t have a problem.
I was targeting thrips.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
View attachment 16304I’ve done a lot of reading and this is supposed to help too. I grabbed some today and I’ll give it a spray later and let you know put it goes. Sand topsoil has helped but there’s still a few around.
Nooooooo. It will fry your weed plants if applied at full dosage. If you have no other options, apply at half strength at lights out. Make sure your medium is not dry, so water/feed it the morning before you apply this.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Nooooooo. It will fry your weed plants if applied at full dosage. If you have no other options, apply at half strength at lights out. Make sure your medium is not dry, so water/feed it the morning before you apply this.
Did read that doing it at lights out was better. Would it be ok to direct spray the topsoil where they are and try to avoid the leaves?

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Did read that doing it at lights out was better. Would it be ok to direct spray the topsoil where they are and try to avoid the leaves?
I've only ever applied to leaves. But I was fighting spider mite not gnats. You'll naturally get some runoff into medium.

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
i just bought some of that about an hour ago, but its actually for the dam caterpillars eating all my leaves in the veggie garden.

Reactions: HGO

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
need to do some reading up on the pest your dealing with
the adults fly around the joint , the larvae are in the soil
if there is going to be damage then its at root level not leaves

do you have access to any worm castings or compost which should contain
beneficial nematodes that will eat gnat eggs
try either or mix both as a top dress before looking to spray a broad
spectrum pesticide , as frank suggested yellow sticky traps for the adults

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
need to do some reading up on the pest your dealing with
the adults fly around the joint , the larvae are in the soil
if there is going to be damage then its at root level not leaves

do you have access to any worm castings or compost which should contain
beneficial nematodes that will eat gnat eggs
try either or mix both as a top dress before looking to spray a broad
spectrum pesticide , as frank suggested yellow sticky traps for the adults
I seen some worm casting at Bunnings. But would they be rubbish to use?

I can’t get any sticky traps locally. Might have to jump on eBay.

I did read about the beneficial nematodes. Interesting concept. I like how it’s just nature/cycle of life just doing it’s thing.

I’m going to have some companion plants in the tent next run. Lemon balm and other pest repellent plants.

Top Bottom