Breeding, the fun part of canna.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I am interested in plant selection if you care to share some knowledge. As in picking better plants at a young age when you are running say 20 or 30 seeds of one strain?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Richcomingfromyou

Vegetating
User ID
Cause you don't run 20 or 30 and you cycle them. So your batch breeding. 100 is my usual #. However if your a small grower you can do this with 20-30 just you will need to do multiple runs. Like 4-5 a year. So an f1 may take 2 years to become an f2.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Ok, so if you plant 100 seeds, at what age do you start culling, and what are you looking for?

Richcomingfromyou

Vegetating
User ID
Plus you use clones. Also helps if your aware of your parent strains and have a plan, not for one generation or two. Rather a set out plan of goals to achieve. Also remember to have lines. So you outbreed at some point so in the future if your strain degrades you side cross.

Pretty basic really. You'll need hunt for your mother, Mr soul hunted 76-77 plants to get princess and 99 with a square to cindy.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I dont get the hunting bit.. what traits are you looking at that says, hell yeah, this is a stand out plant.. and at what age is that possible?

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I am not looking to breed mate, I dont have the space or balls to run that many plants.

I am however genuinely interested in what constitutes a good plant at a young age?

Lets say i grow 10 regs expecting to get 5 females which is all i can run in my small space.... but get lucky and get 10 females. how do i choose which ones I would use in the flower room over others at the same age?

Richcomingfromyou

Vegetating
User ID
Cause that'd be your hunt buddy. You'd also need concrete understanding of the parents involved.
It's possible at a very early age. If a 3 week old seedling reeks with the desired aroma and is frosty as Fuck beyond the others good chance that's a winner. However does it have vigor and structure you like? Extreme vigor?

Then their is flowering out, do the terps hit what you want, is the resin right, do the buds form and have a structure you like. If it's a boy same selection applies. Test growing and stress testing. You may need to take a few cuts.

Just a bunch of stuff that needs happen before you can guarantee the strain your developing. However anything that doesn't perform the way you desire or its sluggish or mutant etc destroy.

Richcomingfromyou

Vegetating
User ID
I am not looking to breed mate, I dont have the space or balls to run that many plants.

I am however genuinely interested in what constitutes a good plant at a young age?

Lets say i grow 10 regs expecting to get 5 females which is all i can run in my small space.... but get lucky and get 10 females. how do i choose which ones I would use in the flower room over others at the same age?
Well that should be easy unless your strain is very homogenous and washed out. Like your grow should Fucking stink at week 4. So use your nose. Then check resin etc. Then does it have the structure your after?

After that you discard anything that didn't meet your desires. Breeding is personal thing bro but also experience. Plus your trying to have what folk want 2 years from now. Cause it'll take that long to develop something.

So if one stinks of candy say and the rest don't have the nose. The stem of candy is coated with trichomes and its early on. Now if it's a male it's probably a winner. Her comes cloning. Keep aside. If a girl again clone.

If you don't have a partner and want to keep it regular run until you find a boy, 1,2,10 x. Whatever it takes. However if it's a girl just femme just STS the clones imo.

Richcomingfromyou

Vegetating
User ID
It may be say 2-3 runs till you find a really killer girl or it may be the first seed you put down.

For home breeders I believe using clones taken from a desired plant from a pack of whatever import you have. It'll be as good as what you just grew and only need 2 cuttings.

Richcomingfromyou

Vegetating
User ID
^ This is the simplest and easiest method using batch made STS only. Literally anyone can do this with just a handful of female plants from a seed pack. Will it be the best version, you'd hope so cause it's already been bred by a seed bank.

Probably won't be the absolute best version but you may still get a very, very rare freak in a grow.

puggle6

Baked
User ID
Ok, from your pics it looks like most of your strains are grown out by others? Can't say I've noticed Prime as a household name just yet. Does Tang mention you in any of his vids?

Can you show us ya males?

Richcomingfromyou

Vegetating
User ID
Puggle why do I need show you anything. šŸ˜‚ Prove what to whom? I think I did flash a boy on a thread here so have a hunt. It's covered in resin. Or do you want an STS reversed female to look at? Doubt you'd know which was which tbh.

puggle6

Baked
User ID
Puggle why do I need show you anything. šŸ˜‚ Prove what to whom? I think I did flash a boy on a thread here so have a hunt. It's covered in resin. Or do you want an STS reversed female to look at? Doubt you'd know which was which tbh.
Where can we get these strains?

Top Bottom