Ayeydized's Magic Mushroom Growlogs

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I wanted to have started this thread sooner but life just gets in the way sometimes.
Anyway here is my current mushroom grow. I'm using two Ps. Cubensis variaties named Alacabenzi and Mazatapec (a cube is a cube) but people say they all have different traits like canna strains. I think its true with other psilocybe species but cubes are like humans. There is many races but are all the same species, where as chimpanzees would be another psilocybe sp. (started rambling there).

I went with two different growing styles. Agar and grain for the Al.... and PF Jars for the Maz.

Grain prep.
Using wild bird seed. Rinse many times in a colinder until water runs clear and pick out floaters like sunflower seeds. Then place in water to hydrate over night, 12-18hrs is fine. Then drain seeds and place in jars with gas exchange holes in the lids.(many different ways for this. I'm still experimenting on what way i prefer)
Cover jars with tinfoil and sterilise in a pressure cooker for 1.5 hours.(grains really should be done in pc)
Once jars are cooled down then innoculate with a couple of wedges of agar colonised with healthy myc.(no pics of this sorry). Shake and let the myc colonise for a few weeks.

IMG20200624083225.jpgIMG20200727090848.jpg
This was a grain jar that had a small contamination in bottom right so i salvaged the good growth and made a little ice cream tub with it. I would not recommend this to new shroomers. It's only a side project to see if it grows OK.

I mixed the grain spawn into hot but not boiling coir. I've had success with using hot substrate. You pasturise with boiling water and then use it while it's still warm. Most like to let it cool overnight but hot spawning seems to kick start substrate colonisation.

This tub doesn't have gas ex. holes as it doesn't make a tight fit allowing GE plus i give FAE when i open and mist.
I've had great success with this method.

IMG20200728131410.jpgIMG20200728131419.jpgIMG20200728131506.jpgIMG20200728131654.jpgIMG20200728131910.jpg

IMG20200624083137.jpgIMG20200624083144.jpg
These are the Pf jars. Three are using charcoal:brf and three are using vermiculite:brf.
Again i had noticed four showing small contams...it's a worry and is motivating me to up my game and build a laminar flow hood($$$).
Normally you would just throw the contam stuff out and bury it in the garden but these jars kept growing and overcame the small contam spots.

Pf tek jars
1) Vermiculite:Brown rice flour(brf):Water at a ratio of 2:1:1 mixed up and placed in jars with a small layer of dry verm on top.
2) charcoal:brf:water at ratio if 1:1:0.5 (the charcoal gets messy if too wet) and again top with dry layer of charcoal.

These are ball brand jars and have a synthetic filter disc as a gas exchange. Four holes in the lid.
IMG20200729064829.jpg
Sterlise with foil over lids for 1-1.5 hrs. These were half pint jars so less time needed.
Make up a spore syringe.
With a shroom print, scrape into small dish then dilute with clean water(boiled and cooled or distilled water).
Draw up spore solution in syringe(bigger gauge needle is best).
Now squirt 0.5ml into each hole is each jar, so there's 2ml of spores in each jar. Flame needle before every new jar.
Wait a few weeks, (mine went about six weeks).
The longer they go isn't too bad but they can start to pin in-vitro inside the jars, which mine did.
IMG20200716081943.jpgIMG20200717085217.jpg

With the two uncontaminated jars, i broke up the cakes and mixed into coco coir.
IMG20200728132328.jpgIMG20200728132406.jpgIMG20200728133145.jpg
With this tub i have holes for GE but i use micropore tape over them instead of messing around with polyfill.

IMG20200728141131.jpg
The others i kept intact and made a humidity chamber. It's a tub where you have a bed of coir that stays moist and place cakes onto small foil trays inside.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
nice one AD!
im a Vermiculite/Brown rice flour kinda guy lol

never used or even heard of Charcoal brf.

keep us updated with this grow! keen to see how charcoal brf turn out!

i have always used perlite instead coir aswell, so keen to see how your cake chamber goes too!

you dont use the "shot gun terianiam" for fruiting?

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
nice one AD!
im a Vermiculite/Brown rice flour kinda guy lol

never used or even heard of Charcoal brf.

keep us updated with this grow! keen to see how charcoal brf turn out!

i have always used perlite instead coir aswell, so keen to see how your cake chamber goes too!

you dont use the "shot gun terianiam" for fruiting?
Yeah i stumbled across a thread on shroomery saying how verm may contain aspestos which is a little worrying. And charcoal is a natural alternative.
I've had some awesome grows with it before. Check out my username(same as here) on the shroomery and the thread is in my signiture.

Humidity chamber works the same as sgfc just no holes needed to be drilled. A mate had great success with one..

elsooto

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Good one AD. I'll follow along. I have my first tub about ready to be put into fruiting conditions. I just went with the (block your ears šŸ˜Š) uncle ben tek for starters, to see if I could get anything happening. Been slow going with low temps.
I have been doing a bit of reading on making a liquid culture, might give it a crack I reckon.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Thanks man.
Hey uncle Ben's is not a dirty word. It's great to get something going with minimal supplies. I've done a few and had mixed results. But once to start getting into bulk then it's cheaper buying in bulk than bens rice bags.

Getting clean liquid culture is harder than agar. And agar is needed to clean spores up ready for LC work.
Again I've had mixed results with LC. One of four attempts have remained clean. And that was with a 3rd transferred agar culture.

Agar is easier than people think.
It just looks hard and sciencey.

D

Deleted member cpr

A question for you shrooms farmers. What's the penalty for growing shrooms if the cops find them? Touch wood :)

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
A question for you shrooms farmers. What's the penalty for growing shrooms if the cops find them? Touch wood :)
So pretty heavy I'm told. They are classed together with heroin and ice.

But that means they supposedly don't give any medicinal benefits, and have a high level of addiction....:unsure:

Guarantee the average person would take shrooms once and get freaked out and not go near them again.

elsooto

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Thanks man.
Hey uncle Ben's is not a dirty word. It's great to get something going with minimal supplies. I've done a few and had mixed results. But once to start getting into bulk then it's cheaper buying in bulk than bens rice bags.

Getting clean liquid culture is harder than agar. And agar is needed to clean spores up ready for LC work.
Again I've had mixed results with LC. One of four attempts have remained clean. And that was with a 3rd transferred agar culture.

Agar is easier than people think.
It just looks hard and sciencey.
Yeah mate I hear ya about going bulk with the grain over rice bags. I have purchased a couple of pre sterilized 1.5 kg grain bags to use later on. Well I had a go at the liquid culture last night, just followed an old beginner method that was on shroomery. See how it goes. I do have some pre made agar plates as well but some of them came delivered with contams already šŸ™„

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Yeah mate I hear ya about going bulk with the grain over rice bags. I have purchased a couple of pre sterilized 1.5 kg grain bags to use later on. Well I had a go at the liquid culture last night, just followed an old beginner method that was on shroomery. See how it goes. I do have some pre made agar plates as well but some of them came delivered with contams already šŸ™„
Good luck.
That's crap about the pre made plates having contams already. Keep us posted.

elsooto

Baked
Community Member
User ID
There is a few local vendors on reddit that ship syringes around oz.
r/aussiesporetraders is where u will find them. I've had no issues getting them, but as ayeydized said dont bother trying to get them in from overseas

Top Bottom