Extremely High Humidity, How fucked am I?

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
With the shitty weather lately recently, + geographical location. I Cant get the humidity low enough to be comfortable in my tent.

I have 7 fans now inside the tent, my extraction fan is at full whack.

yet the humidity always stays above 85%. Right now its 100%. and that's 18 hours after i last watered them.

I looked into dehumidifiers, and most of them I've looked at still have shit reviews on being really bad at dropping the humidity. And also they raise them temperature of the space in the process. which is another issue, As im struggling to lower it, mostly hangs around 27c upwards of 29c.

I just can justify running a portable air-conditioner, and a dehumidifier to grow in a tiny tent. my Best estimate would be probably 2Oz of dried bud from my size tent and the plants that "Might" grow full term. say thats around $600 worth.

running aircon, lights, fans and a dehumidifier would be running around 2.5 - 3 KW/h @ 22cents per hour 24/7 for 90+ days = $1188 to $1425 of electricity to produce $600 of Buds, not to mention the cost of the nutrients, medium and other disposables.

So am i fucked? should i just pull the plug? Im basically going to run this until such time as the mold decides it wont's to set in and destroy my entire grow.

you lucky cunts down south dont know how good you've got it...

End Rant

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Mate if it's 100% it's raining

First thing , have you checked it with a different device

There would also be condensation on all the walls of tent , there would be water on the ceiling to

Kloud9

Baked
Community Member
User ID
With the shitty weather lately recently, + geographical location. I Cant get the humidity low enough to be comfortable in my tent.

yet the humidity always stays above 85%. Right now its 100%. and that's 18 hours after i last watered them.

I looked into dehumidifiers, and most of them I've looked at still have shit reviews on being really bad at dropping the humidity. And also they raise them temperature of the space in the process. which is another issue, As im struggling to lower it, mostly hangs around 27c upwards of 29c.

I just can justify running a portable air-conditioner, and a dehumidifier to grow in a tiny tent. my Best estimate would be probably 2Oz of dried bud from my size tent and the plants that "Might" grow full term. say thats around $600 worth.

running aircon, lights, fans and a dehumidifier would be running around 2.5 - 3 KW/h @ 22cents per hour 24/7 for 90+ days = $1188 to $1425 of electricity to produce $600 of Buds, not to mention the cost of the nutrients, medium and other disposables.

So am i fucked? should i just pull the plug? Im basically going to run this until such time as the mold decides it wont's to set in and destroy my entire grow.

End Rant
Micmac is right, and please stop over thinking it , every little detail. You will do your head in over thinking it. The grow will not cost 600$ in power just alone., take chill pill you are doing good on the autos, and the size of them. Just keep doing what your doing. Feeding and growing cannabis meds. 😀😎👍

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID

There would also be condensation on all the walls of tent , there would be water on the ceiling to

Yep, I have experienced 100% when I accidentally unplugged my exhaust fan a while back. glasses fogged up as soon as i opened the door and was hit by a wave of heat.

If you got plenty of air movement and exchange I wouldn't worry too much, particularly this early on. Maybe in late flower you could use a bit of air con if humidity was a problem then?

If ya end up needing air con, just buy a much bigger tent or run a bedroom to cover the electrical cost :)

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID

Its currently 86% humidity outside (weather app) it is raining currently. But its almost always high in my area. Rain, Hail or Shine.

I will buy another humidity device to confirm that the BME280 sensor I'm running is busted somehow.

you are right, there is no condensation on the walls. however couple days ago i saw two leaves on top of each other and there was moisture between them. ( not from me ) i assumed high humidity. So i bought extra fans for movement.

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
Yep, I have experienced 100% when I accidentally unplugged my exhaust fan a while back. glasses fogged up as soon as i opened the door and was hit by a wave of heat.

If you got plenty of air movement and exchange I wouldn't worry too much, particularly this early on. Maybe in late flower you could use a bit of air con if humidity was a problem then?

If ya end up needing air con, just buy a much bigger tent or run a bedroom to cover the electrical cost :)

Kinda hard to move it into a bedroom, i have 3 monthly inspections here. Same goes for the tent size, i am limited by the area in which im choosing to be stealthy. :(

I'm sorry for the Rant guys, its just frustrating. If i cant control the environmental factors i got no hope.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
If the condensation is real bad, disconnect/remove your carbon filter from the system if you have one, as the carbon pellets and cloth filter will take on moisture and eventually cease from doing its job anyway. Reconnect it once it's sorted again.*

Also, steer clear of portable A/C's if you can help it. The buggas are the most inefficient A/C units out there.

*if you need to dry the carbon filter out before reconnecting it, simply take the cloth/dust filter off and sit the can out in a sunny position for 2-3 days (or more if needed), and turn it several times a day so give it a good chance to dry out evenly/completely.

Last edited:

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Its currently 86% humidity outside (weather app) it is raining currently. But its almost always high in my area. Rain, Hail or Shine.

I will buy another humidity device to confirm that the BME280 sensor I'm running is busted somehow.

you are right, there is no condensation on the walls. however couple days ago i saw two leaves on top of each other and there was moisture between them. ( not from me ) i assumed high humidity. So i bought extra fans for movement.
Transpiration

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID

End Rant
Cooper who was a member here used to grow in tropical NQ and he used a split system in his room to control humidity.
Wonder how coops is doing??

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
air movement is def beneficial , what method of growing are you using
hydro , soil ? , what do the plants look like at the moment , do they look sad ?

buy yourself a infrared thermometer & take leaf surface temps
cos that's the temp the plant will react to not necessarily room temp

temp & humidity work together , when talking temps you need
to know humidity & V a V , when talking humidity you need to
know temps

once you know leaf surface temps maybe try & work with your environment using VPD Vapour Pressure Deficit
rather than trying to outright climate control a thin walled tent space

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
air movement is def beneficial , what method of growing are you using
hydro , soil ? , what do the plants look like at the moment , do they look sad ?

buy yourself a infrared thermometer & take leaf surface temps
cos that's the temp the plant will react to not necessarily room temp

temp & humidity work together , when talking temps you need
to know humidity & V a V , when talking humidity you need to
know temps

once you know leaf surface temps maybe try & work with your environment using VPD Vapour Pressure Deficit
rather than trying to outright climate control a thin walled tent space
Coco medium. Plants look fine currently

yesterday the humidity was 90+ outside for most of the day.

I've looked at some of the VPD charts, for the amount of humidity i have in the tent would need something like 38 degree's in there.

today currently outside is around 58% humidity 28c . inside tent 96.65%. 28c

I cannot install air-conditioning, its not my house.

The carbon filter and sock feel really dry, and the flow out the ventilation ducting seems to be flowing really strongly.

kinda feel defeated at this point. I'm not sure i can get the humidity down in time for flowering. unless there is a reasonable priced dehumidifier that actually works.

I appreciate those who have contributed to constructive feedback.

I've considered kitty litter, those disposable dehumidifier crystals containers, but I've read a lot of people saying they barely remove any moisture. especially at the rate the fans pull the air out of the tent.

My only really options are to grow this lot out to the point of a Mold infestation. then scrap it. take the grow as a learning experience. then wait another 25 years till i can afford to buy a house in this fucked market. and then set up a dedicated grow room with all the bells and whistles. or just move down south :LOL:

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Coco medium. Plants look fine currently

yesterday the humidity was 90+ outside for most of the day.

I've looked at some of the VPD charts, for the amount of humidity i have in the tent would need something like 38 degree's in there.

today currently outside is around 58% humidity 28c . inside tent 96.65%. 28c

I cannot install air-conditioning, its not my house.

The carbon filter and sock feel really dry, and the flow out the ventilation ducting seems to be flowing really strongly.

kinda feel defeated at this point. I'm not sure i can get the humidity down in time for flowering. unless there is a reasonable priced dehumidifier that actually works.

I appreciate those who have contributed to constructive feedback.

I've considered kitty litter, those disposable dehumidifier crystals containers, but I've read a lot of people saying they barely remove any moisture. especially at the rate the fans pull the air out of the tent.

My only really options are to grow this lot out to the point of a Mold infestation. then scrap it. take the grow as a learning experience. then wait another 25 years till i can afford to buy a house in this fucked market. and then set up a dedicated grow room with all the bells and whistles. or just move down south :LOL:
Yeah even with heaps of air movement humidity in the 90s is not good. I have done 2 grows in greenhouses where the humidity was almost always above 80% the first grow was fucked and heaps went mouldy. The 2nd I put 4 large fans in there and no mould whatsoever.
Just grow em and get as much fans in and moving air as possible and hope for the best!!
Personally I reckon if ya have every centimetre of air moving you should be able to get to the end mould free!!

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
Thanks Porky, I really hope so. might look at trying to stuff another couple in there. trying to get the air moving up so the exhaust sucks it out. worried if i have to many pointing down its gonna blow the smell out of the little vent flaps down the bottom of the tent.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
Your humidity might be high , it's extremely difficult unless you have a sealed grow room to alter the conditions in your tent compared to outdoor conditions you are experiencing atm , they will be very similar

But at the moment your plants will love it in veg , wise old man told me once not to worry about things you can't control

Take a deep breathe and relax , not all plants experience mould either , also if you have never seen any around chances are it won't happen

And if it does generally the plants are near maturity

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
The Aussie seedbank business models of onselling overseas beans at marked up prices to a domestic audience, will be short-lived. Customs will fuck that up, if they already haven't. They need Aussie breeders. Life as a pollen chucker, could become more profitable than owning a whole Bitcoin 🤣

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
The Aussie seedbank business models of onselling overseas beans at marked up prices to a domestic audience, will be short-lived. Customs will fuck that up, if they already haven't. They need Aussie breeders. Life as a pollen chucker, could become more profitable than owning a whole Bitcoin 🤣
You in the right thread mate??

Top Bottom