Extremely High Humidity, How fucked am I?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Love to grow

Foot man
User ID
Can u set up some kind of lung area like a big wardrobe or something then use a swamp cooler and dehumidifier for that area and draw your tent intake air through that? Just a thought mate good luck anywaysπŸ‘

Postman pat

Curing
User ID
Stop stressin bud, is it ideal? No, but look at where the shit grows, typically hot n humid climates. My grow tents in summer sat between 30-45c during the day and 50-90% humidity. I found it only really mattered last couple weeks of flower and the only mould I got was when buds were laying on top of buds. At 90% my walls were wet and it felt like death walking in there. It thats the case leave the door open a few hoursπŸ‘

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
I hear you all, but somethings not right with my setup. 50% outside humidity and 100% inside tent humidity.

i tried opening all 3 flaps at the bottom of the tent hoping the exhaust fan would pull more fresh air in for exchange. Did not change at all. Then tried closing 2/3 flaps trying for more negative pressure. nothing changed.

Then i stuck a fan blowing into one of the flaps and it dropped it to 85% Still higher than the RH around the tent but better.

I did some calculations with the fan i have, with these specs.
- 31 dB
- 164 cfm (280 m3/h)
- 0.13 amps (30W)
- 205 Pa

and the size of the tent, 2.4ft x 2.4ft x 5ft = 28.8 cubic feet

Then used this formula: (Base CFM x Component factors) x (Grow light heat) = Required CFM

28.8 + 20% ducting + 20% carbon filter + 50% grow light heat.
As according to the Ac infinity calculation page.

= 62.208CFM To which, if the factory specs are accurate is more than double the required airflow. So i think the Exhaust fan is strong enough for the tent size, but just doesn't seem to help pulling out humidity.

I wish i had bought a larger tent, even just to use one side of it to grow and the other to house a decent fan. I'm really limited on fan selection for the size of the tent area currently. Money is extremely tight right now. otherwise i'd just go out and buy a larger one.

Also the Fabric pots are always soaking wet on the bottom. they sit on top of small 1" rises to keep them off the bottom of the saucers. I might have to try getting them up higher so there is more airflow under to help reduce the moisture that would most definitely be contributing to more humidity.

If anyone has any suggestions as to fan placements in smaller tents, airflow direction all that stuff would help especially if its been done n a smaller tent.

I think i also will have to work on an intake fan some how, checking it out now its 60% humidity and 83.5%inside the tent so the intake fan blowing in is definitely doing some work.

Cheers for all the input guys. (y)

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I hear you all, but somethings not right with my setup. 50% outside humidity and 100% inside tent humidity.

i tried opening all 3 flaps at the bottom of the tent hoping the exhaust fan would pull more fresh air in for exchange. Did not change at all. Then tried closing 2/3 flaps trying for more negative pressure. nothing changed.

Then i stuck a fan blowing into one of the flaps and it dropped it to 85% Still higher than the RH around the tent but better.

- 31 dB
- 164 cfm (280 m3/h)
- 0.13 amps (30W)
- 205 Pa

Then used this formula: (Base CFM x Component factors) x (Grow light heat) = Required CFM

= 62.208CFM To which, if the factory specs are accurate is more than double the required airflow. So i think the Exhaust fan is strong enough for the tent size, but just doesn't seem to help pulling out humidity.

I wish i had bought a larger tent, even just to use one side of it to grow and the other to house a decent fan. I'm really limited on fan selection for the size of the tent area currently. Money is extremely tight right now. otherwise i'd just go out and buy a larger one.

Also the Fabric pots are always soaking wet on the bottom. they sit on top of small 1" rises to keep them off the bottom of the saucers. I might have to try getting them up higher so there is more airflow under to help reduce the moisture that would most definitely be contributing to more humidity.

If anyone has any suggestions as to fan placements in smaller tents, airflow direction all that stuff would help especially if its been done n a smaller tent.

I think i also will have to work on an intake fan some how, checking it out now its 60% humidity and 83.5%inside the tent so the intake fan blowing in is definitely doing some work.

Where is your exhaust air going? into the roof? How far is the fan pushing/puling the air to the exhaust point?

Kloud9

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Or Maybe too many heating devices inside the small little tent ? Carbon filter , fans + light. all put out heat at the end of the day πŸ€” im running two fans no filter and it never gets to 86% humidity.. not even raining and lights out and in veg?

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID

- 31 dB
- 164 cfm (280 m3/h)
- 0.13 amps (30W)
- 205 Pa

Doesn't add up being the 50% outside and 85% in tent with extraction. Is there water pooled under the pots? Can you feel the air rushing out from extraction fan?

Kloud9

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Yep ok, empty everything out of the tent , what the humidity in there now ? And is extraction fan pipe split maybe ..πŸ€” no it doesn't make sense the figures ...

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
Exhaust is is pushing the air out of the space around 4 meters away down ducting into a huge open area which is half exposed to outside air.

I can feel the exhaust air out the other end of the ducting and its flowing in my opinion very well.

The pipe is not split.

the area i have section off for the tent resides behind shelving, that sits in basically what i can describe as a carport that has brick walls on two sides not 100% inside nor outside.

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
hard to tell, with the flaps open at the bottom, i believe there is not enough resistance for it to suck the sides in.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Is it a proper exhaust fan, or just a blade fan pushing air out? Heat and humidity both rise, where is your hygrometer located? Can you share a photo of your exhaust fan set up in the tent and another photo of your extraction ducting ( outside the tent)? How /where have you measured the the of 50% outside the tent?

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Yeah like old fox said hit us with heaps of pics to help ya.
If it's 50% outside and 90% inside there is a source of moisture inside.
How often are you watering??
How much each water??
Are these measurements at lights on or off??

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
is that a computer fan?

I just watched your video, I'd expect to see dribbles running down the walls if your at 100%.

Hows your carbon filter setup, if it's a 30w fan pushing it I don't believe that would be powerful enough

That's just from my little Germination box, to start seeds in. they only stay in there for a few days while they pop. The plant in there was an old bag seed spare i had growing in case the auto's didn't get past the seedling stage. and i didn't have anywhere else to put it while i waited a couple weeks. since then i have gotten rid of it as the autos did take off.

More photos to come of the setup. (y)

Jiffy

Blooming
User ID
IMG20211027220535.jpg

Forgive the messy wires, I've been moving stuff around inside the last two days and didn't want to zip tie it all up neatly till i was done figuring out what works and what doesn't.

I closed off the back flap earlier and all of the sides were sucked in tight.. like stupidly sucked in where it was squashing the plants from inside.

IMG20211027220513 - Copy2.jpg

here is the humidity / pressure / temp sensor. it level with the top of the canopy.

Top Bottom