Mushy Mayhem

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Sure is, got some on a stump in the backyard, theyre like leather with a velvet feel on-top, look underneath and it should be white with pores, these mushrooms don't have gills they are a polypore mushroom. If it has gills and yellow then it's a false turkey tail
View attachment 44857
They just turned up one day after lots of rain. They are Saprophytic, they break down and feed off wood

Found this on Reddit, lol
View attachment 44858
I'm currently knocking back regrowth off a large willow stump that I plan on inserting spore dowels into. Living in rainforest, keeping the stump damp shouldn't be a problem, just need to research which types will cope with the cold down here best

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I'm currently knocking back regrowth off a large willow stump that I plan on inserting spore dowels into. Living in rainforest, keeping the stump damp shouldn't be a problem, just need to research which types will cope with the cold down here best
That's a pretty good idea. I've got a liquid culture which I tried in bags but it was very slow to take and ended up throwing the bags out. This wild one growing outside has been there for a few years now. After the rains come they just pop up everywhere in lots of different tree stumps. I've seen massive ones in pine tree stumps but I've read online that mushrooms dislike pine because it's naturally antibacterial/antifungal but the turkey tails don't seem to mind them.
I want to give Winecaps a go but gotta make a little bed outside under the trees for them

Forgot to mention turkey tails can be cloned in wet cardboard so I'd look around to see if you can find any wild ones and take some, spray them with peroxide and sandwich them in wet cardboard

Last edited:

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
That's a pretty good idea. I've got a liquid culture which I tried in bags but it was very slow to take and ended up throwing the bags out. This wild one growing outside has been there for a few years now. After the rains come they just pop up everywhere in lots of different tree stumps. I've seen massive ones in pine tree stumps but I've read online that mushrooms dislike pine because it's naturally antibacterial/antifungal but the turkey tails don't seem to mind them.
I want to give Winecaps a go but gotta make a little bed outside under the trees for them
Big willow stump in bottom right of photo, lives on the edge of a nice moist fern gully. Have a few prepared loose logs also, will try several different types
20231220_092110.jpg

terrancefartbubbler

Vegetating
User ID
Interesting watching your grow ive been learning a lot the last few weeks about shrooms shout out to shroomery aswell. I inoculated my bag with Tasmanian last week and still not seeing any mycelium seems really slow from what I have read, it's been 9 days since I inoculated, what do you dudes reckon? Bit inpatient?

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Interesting watching your grow ive been learning a lot the last few weeks about shrooms shout out to shroomery aswell. I inoculated my bag with Tasmanian last week and still not seeing any mycelium seems really slow from what I have read, it's been 9 days since I inoculated, what do you dudes reckon? Bit inpatient?
They say it can take upto 2 weeks. Im actually a little concerned about my agar too, in the pics it looks like at least 1 has started but these spore swabs have been sitting around and might not be any good. It's almost like it's stalled. So just in case I've ordered more strains and some fresh agar agar the same stuff Benno linked and some malt extract and peptone to make more agar cultures.

I reckon you should give it another hit of LC.
get some microwave rice pouches and cut a corner off and squirt some liquid culture in a few rice pouches and jam some pillow stuffing in the hole or tape over it with some micropore tape if you have any. Then if the mushroom bag doesn't take just dump the innoculated colonizing rice in it and seal it back up but if the rice doesn't get any mycelium then maybe it's buggered.

Last edited:

terrancefartbubbler

Vegetating
User ID
Yea ok have you used microwave pouches before? Read about uncle Ben's on shroomed some said they get contaminants a lot with them. When I injected mine I did it into the middle of the grow medium and in the one spot, I'm dying to ruff the medium up a bit so I can see in there but don't want to disturb anything

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Yea ok have you used microwave pouches before? Read about uncle Ben's on shroomed some said they get contaminants a lot with them. When I injected mine I did it into the middle of the grow medium and in the one spot, I'm dying to ruff the medium up a bit so I can see in there but don't want to disturb anything
Yep I have, just the cheap brown rice, Coles does a box of 4 or 5 pouches. I vacuumed the room I planned doing it in, sprayed Glen20 in the room also and wiped down the table and 50l storage container, placed the accessories under the tub on table. Waited 20 mins or so with door shut then took a shower, went back in with wet hair and sprayed scissors, syringe hands with alcohol,
Did everything very slowly under the container leaning a bit over the desk so I could fit hands through if that makes sense, had an 80% success rate

terrancefartbubbler

Vegetating
User ID
Cool will give it a go gotta make an LC out of my spores first then I will have plenty to shoot around. Do you think poki g around the medium in my bag looking for mycelium would hurt anything? does mycelium bounce back?

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Cool will give it a go gotta make an LC out of my spores first then I will have plenty to shoot around. Do you think poki g around the medium in my bag looking for mycelium would hurt anything? does mycelium bounce back?
Yeah that's fine, I'd just be dumping a bit on the top so you can see it first before mixing it up though, hopefully you can find some in the middle

terrancefartbubbler

Vegetating
User ID
Yeah that's fine, I'd just be dumping a bit on the top so you can see it first before mixing it up though, hopefully you can find some in the middle
Ok so I mixed the mag looking for white mycelium the smorning not a trace anywhere and no sign of mould either. I dumped 6 more cc on top of the medium fingers crossed I see something soon. Do you use a still are box when doing your agar?

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Ok so I mixed the mag looking for white mycelium the smorning not a trace anywhere and no sign of mould either. I dumped 6 more cc on top of the medium fingers crossed I see something soon. Do you use a still are box when doing your agar?
Yeah used one just before to do some transfers. I should have done it when I first swabbed, got around 3 or 4 clean jars out of 12. Basically cook the agar on stove and chuck in the jars, wrap some foil over the top and put the lid ring over the foil, cook it for about 15 mins then take them out and wait to cool so it solidifies then turn the jars upside down so any excess water can pool up on the foil. I did try with the lids loosely on but the pressure inside jams the lid on and the heat can make the lining bubble off so just spray them down with alcohol instead

terrancefartbubbler

Vegetating
User ID
Do you think the way I originally inoculated was my problem. I stuck the needle into the middle of the medium and didn't ruff the bag around.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Do you think the way I originally inoculated was my problem. I stuck the needle into the middle of the medium and didn't ruff the bag around.
I don't think so. Its strange because you'd think every little drop of those syringes would have plenty of mycelium to work. I just threw some agar out which I innoculated with king oyster liquid culture, oysters are really quick to germinate and take over but no luck at all with it. My liquid cultures have been in the fridge for about 8-9 months though. It's hard to say about your culture but I reckon it will take off

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Yeah used one just before to do some transfers. I should have done it when I first swabbed, got around 3 or 4 clean jars out of 12. Basically cook the agar on stove and chuck in the jars, wrap some foil over the top and put the lid ring over the foil, cook it for about 15 mins then take them out and wait to cool so it solidifies then turn the jars upside down so any excess water can pool up on the foil. I did try with the lids loosely on but the pressure inside jams the lid on and the heat can make the lining bubble off so just spray them down with alcohol instead
One of these guys works perfectly for agar. And when you want to store it just pop back into the fridge.
Then in the microwave to reheated it. And pour straight into Petri dishes or whatever you use as agar plates

IMG_2842.jpeg

Top Bottom