White tips: light damage or extra trichs?

benn0

Baked
User ID
Yeah this looks like variegation, pretty much a plant mutation of albinism, for plants. Like you mentioned

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Found another, similar thread posted some time ago on the ILGM.
They narrowed it down to light bleaching, albinoism or the same mutation mentioned in the previous articles I've posted. Only one or two plants showing white tips, lights at what they consider a safe distance and healthy appearing other than the white tips.
This is gonna bug me :rolleyes:
It's genectic it's not from the lights!!

bushbob

Vegetating
User ID
That plant went hermi unfortunately. I'm inclined to think it was the poor genetics of the strain and possibly was similar to the mutation mentioned in the studies.

The Phillips study was done over a couple of years and seemed to be pretty confident that it is variety specific and triggered by red spectrum. I think I remember the hydroshop dude saying that the Lumatek lights do have a slightly larger red spectrum that some other lights.
ZEUS-LED-GRAPHS-600W.png

Variety dependent
Like photobleaching, white tips formation is variety dependent. While some varieties do easily produce white tips, others won’t. Not all varieties are as sensitive for red intensities, a challenging task to address ahead of project as often no one knows if the breed is sensitive to it. Unlike photobleaching, white tips appearance is unavoidable when triggered, so it is crucial to find suitable spectral solutions to prevent them when the growers aim is to prevent them. When changing the color spectrum or adjusting the level of red during the crucial weeks of flower induction, the next plant cycles will not be affected. Selecting mother plants that are more or less sensitive to this phenomenon, can be part of well-defined strategies to either avoid or enhance white tips.
This GreenCultured article mentions a couple of strains that have the reported white tip mutation with LEDs.

It would be good to know more about the mutation out of curiosity as you say. Sounds like it would be better than 99% of the mutations that popup. Fucked if I'm gonna go hunting that white whale though.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
That was my first thought which is why I raised the light but the white patches are still getting larger. Theres no signs of light damage to the leaves and hairs aren't dying off. And its just the one plant.
I'm inclined to think its the genetics not environmental but I'm not gonna keep raising the light to please the one plant. Gonna ride it out and keep a close eye on things.
I had the same prob last round and @itchybro pointed out somthing in another thread that i then realised what was happening. Do you grow in soil? I had grown same strains in hydro same light distance no prob. Then in the soil experiment I got light bleaching. As Itchy pointed out in another thread if watering and microbes aren't on point the soil can't metabolise nutrients quick enough to use all the light. So I thought that must have been the root of the problem and the plants seem to go into protection mode (bleaching)

bushbob

Vegetating
User ID
I had the same prob last round and @itchybro pointed out somthing in another thread that i then realised what was happening. Do you grow in soil? I had grown same strains in hydro same light distance no prob. Then in the soil experiment I got light bleaching. As Itchy pointed out in another thread if watering and microbes aren't on point the soil can't metabolise nutrients quick enough to use all the light. So I thought that must have been the root of the problem and the plants seem to go into protection mode (bleaching)
Nah mate no soil. A little bit of rockwool and a heap of clay beads. Sterile system not organic.

Though it is an interesting idea you bring up. This is the first time I have covered the FnD trays with plastic and I was wondering at the time what sort of effect it may have on the roots in regards temp, humidity, mould and bacteria growth, pressure differences.
Don't think its related though.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Very plausible, especially an informed opinion from @itchybro . However in this case I don't believe it looks like light bleaching? The white part on top looks otherwise healthy, so I'm guessing genetics. @Kee Mao photo above is another example, and that doesn't look like bleaching either.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
That plant went hermi unfortunately. I'm inclined to think it was the poor genetics of the strain and possibly was similar to the mutation mentioned in the studies.

The Phillips study was done over a couple of years and seemed to be pretty confident that it is variety specific and triggered by red spectrum. I think I remember the hydroshop dude saying that the Lumatek lights do have a slightly larger red spectrum that some other lights.
ZEUS-LED-GRAPHS-600W.png

This GreenCultured article mentions a couple of strains that have the reported white tip mutation with LEDs.

It would be good to know more about the mutation out of curiosity as you say. Sounds like it would be better than 99% of the mutations that popup. Fucked if I'm gonna go hunting that white whale though.
So according to this it is a genectic trait!
It's not genetic mate I had 4 different strains do it last grow here's a link from royal Queen seeds and its the exact same symptoms
But according to this is light stress!
I had something like this, a bit more extreme though.
It just forgot to make chlorophyll.

View attachment 37864
Here it is in a tiny plant that looks to be a fair way from the light! 🤔

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Well there ya have it folks itchy brought up a though and now Hudo is certain!!
Fuck me!! 🤣

Hudo

Baked
User ID
So according to this it is a genectic trait!

But according to this is light stress!

Here it is in a tiny plant that looks to be a fair way from the light! 🤔
Any stress will bring out the Hermi trait mate. The trait will be present and the stress (light in this case)

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Very plausible, especially an informed opinion from @itchybro . However in this case I don't believe it looks like light bleaching? The white part on top looks otherwise healthy, so I'm guessing genetics. @Kee Mao photo above is another example, and that doesn't look like bleaching either.
I had 5 different strains do it last round and looked exactly like this Planet Of The Grapes , Candy Store , Skunk Hero, and Banana Hammock × Lilac the tops looked healthy just white like that. Only thing they had in common was the soil and the light

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I had 5 different strains do it last round and looked exactly like this Planet Of The Grapes , Candy Store , Skunk Hero, and Banana Hammock × Lilac the tops looked healthy just white like that. Only thing they had in common was the soil and the light
Ok. I've grown 3 of those strains out, and not seen that in those strains.

Top Bottom