The Hornet 🐝 … pollen press

Tugboat

Vegetating
User ID
Just got done trimming and thought I’d try out one of these little cheap pollen presses for a laugh … works ok for $12 … I just placed a freezer bag inside (didn’t have any cellophane lying around) … shovelled in the kief from the bottom of the trimming tray and pressed her into a decent little puck 🤗

Accidentally dropped a few bits of trim in there but I’m sure it’ll burn fine 😎

9A2F6041-995A-4CFB-82B7-09BAB9ED0510.jpeg
1484278E-7D45-40F1-9F92-B7B2DC0CEE17.jpeg
F731724E-6428-4E5A-9930-642ED3628925.jpeg
0ACF74CD-0DE9-49CC-96B2-A046E7521063.jpeg
CDD36373-ACF5-443F-9226-4B34D46A57B5.jpeg
C2BAEC1E-3DDC-4C3D-8384-30F2F0732CAD.jpeg

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Tugboat

Vegetating
User ID
@Dotts I was thinking that but then was worried it might get all glued to the inside of the press 🤷🏻‍♂️ … do you use any lining like cellophane when pressing or just go commando?

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
For 12 bucks??? Fuck yea, ya can't go wrong.
Where'd ya get it from?
I too use a screw press and from memory (and my memory's screwed :LOL: ) I think it was about $30. But mine's a clay extruder, not a specific hash press, so it's not made for the task. I buggered one up trying to press up a log rather than a puck DOH, so I brought another.

What's it made of? The body looks like steel, but what about the thread? the plugs look like aluminium? I'd recommend using greaseproof paper/baking paper between the plugs and the block.

I must also agree with Dotts 'heat and pressure'. I use the wife's hairdryer, heat and screw, heat and screw... The heat allows the crystals to meld together, holds it all together better. I was pressing them up into 1gm pucks, but they were too fragile and broke apart easily. So I started making them 2gm and I stole her nutmeg grater. Happy, she was not.100_0745.jpg
100_1712.JPG
Grate a bit, scatter it thru a joint.... SWEET.... welds my arse to the lounge every time. :cool: :giggle::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
@Dotts I was thinking that but then was worried it might get all glued to the inside of the press 🤷🏻‍♂️ … do you use any lining like cellophane when pressing or just go commando?
After I press till i can't press no more, I put it in the freezer for 5min to cool, then push out, no sticky mess left inside press...

Tugboat

Vegetating
User ID
Second press under heat worked better but my cheapo Chinesium model doesn’t have the tightest of clearances so the combination of heat & pressure means it seeps past the block under too much pressure / heat… scraped it out after freezing it and repressed … I’ll have to be a bit more restrained next time 😎 … maybe too much heat 🤷🏻‍♂️

92F6B32A-6D85-4490-A8E9-C2A4CA608F3B.jpeg

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I've got a similar press. To add some gentle heat, I put the whole press (loaded with kief) in a zip-lock sandwich bag and dunk it in hot water. Basically, a sous vide if you're familiar with that cooking tech. I've only done it a few times and the hash came out fine without sticking to the sides. If it was sticky, I planned on putting it in the fridge after heating, but I haven't found it necessary yet. You do want to make a couple wax paper discs to place at both ends so the pressurized surfaces don't stick.

Last edited:

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Also, you can DIY these presses. Google DIY Pollen Press for lots of info. Yeah, I know Kief isn't pollen, but try telling the internet that!

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Also, you can DIY these presses. Google DIY Pollen Press for lots of info. Yeah, I know Kief isn't pollen, but try telling the internet that!
Can easily imagine some newb arguing that sift is pollen otherwise they wouldn’t call it a pollen press.

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Heck, I called it pollen until around 10 years ago when I started reading forums like this. Easy mistake to make.

I'm liking that vintage DIY press Indy. You should stop into Antiques Roadshow with that one for an appraisal and history lesson!

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Heck, I called it pollen until around 10 years ago when I started reading forums like this. Easy mistake to make.

I'm liking that vintage DIY press Indy. You should stop into Antiques Roadshow with that one for an appraisal and history lesson!
Yep, easy to slip up, or even keep up these days with the entire scene. Seen something resin ralated labelled Diamonds the other day. Still yet to understand the concept of that one..

But yeah, I made this one as a Kief press in mind as I didn't have anything to sift for pollen at the time. This thread reminded me of the one I made, found it unloved in the bottom of my tool trolley.

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Yep, easy to slip up, or even keep up these days with the entire scene. Seen something resin ralated labelled Diamonds the other day. Still yet to understand the concept of that one..
I think "diamonds" accompany "sauce". The diamonds are crystalized THC and the sauce is a mix of terps with some liquid. My impression is the D&S is used in dab rigs. I've been reading up on all the goodies I can test out during a trip to Seattle later this year...

Top Bottom