Smart Meters, Are my growing days with lights over ?

possum

Germinating
User ID
I have recently been notified by my power distribution company that they want to install a "Smart Meter" on my house . This can come with a number of problems. After doing a bit of research on these meters i find that they can monitor your household electrical appliances, such as kettles, fans, stoves, hot water, lights , televisions, and every other electrical gadget we use. So, it wouldn`t take much imagination for these people to figure out that i am using led grow lights ! Do i have any options here ? I can refuse to have it fitted to my house, BUT, if they are determined they will have it fitted , it don`t matter what i say. So, have any of you blokes come across these bloody meters ? And what did you do about it ? ............... Possum.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

possum

Germinating
User ID
G`Day Gazza, Loaf, What state are you in gazza ? Yeah, i heard that a lot of these meters fail, theres nothing about these meters that is good that`s for sure. NO chance of a heated spar mate. What state are you in Loaf ? In my research yesterday i read about a 100 different reasons why you don`t want one of these meters ! From embedded microphones to controlling some of your electrical appliances. Is there anyone here that has some good solid knowledge on this subject ? ..............Possum.

GlennT_59

Blooming
User ID
I've had one for about 8 years, I don't really think they are that smart, it really just saves someone coming around to read the meter. They just send usage data to the electricty company in 30 minute intervals. At this point, they cannot tell what type of appliance is used (although many appliances can have interfaces that can be linked to a smart meter to monitor specific appliance usage) How would they know you are running a Fish Tank, aircon or a grow tent...

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I've been using a smart meter since mid-2019. It cannot identify how your power is being used, just how much and when it it is used. There is no more danger to a smart meter than an old "dumb" meter. The power company doesn't give two shits about your pot growing hobby, they just want you to pay your bill. Do that and you're fine. Don't pay your bill and you'll get your power cut off. Pay or don't pay, either way it'll have no effect whatsoever on the police showing up to bust your grow.

LOAF

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
G`Day Gazza, Loaf, What state are you in gazza ? Yeah, i heard that a lot of these meters fail, theres nothing about these meters that is good that`s for sure. NO chance of a heated spar mate. What state are you in Loaf ? In my research yesterday i read about a 100 different reasons why you don`t want one of these meters ! From embedded microphones to controlling some of your electrical appliances. Is there anyone here that has some good solid knowledge on this subject ? ..............Possum.
I’d be more worried about the microphone and camera on ur phone and tv bro 🤣 I’ve always got my al-foil hat handy and painted my roof blue just in case tho!

In QLD brother

possum

Germinating
User ID
G`Day GlennT-59 and veritas629, I was reading yesterday, they say they can identify how the power is being used , one even said they can tell when a vacuum cleaner is empty or full when being used.! Apparently, everything that consumes electricity has it`s own signature so to speak. ...........Possum.

possum

Germinating
User ID
hey LOAF, Yeah i got the hat, first time i`ve heard of the Blue roof. If i see anything on my TV i cover it with insulation tape. Job done. I`m in N.S.W. ....................Possum. I`m out for lunch.

possum

Germinating
User ID
G`Day Porky, Nah, not paranoid, just careful . Got to go get some blue paint, catch you later.........Possum.

Dotts

HPS turncoat
Community Member
User ID
Growing in a tent with a light is fine...

You don't just grow pot in there..

..could be growing very expensive Kale..😀

As mentioned above.

Pay ya bill, no problem for you...

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
G`Day GlennT-59 and veritas629, I was reading yesterday, they say they can identify how the power is being used , one even said they can tell when a vacuum cleaner is empty or full when being used.! Apparently, everything that consumes electricity has it`s own signature so to speak. ...........Possum.

That sounds like some prime Reddit advice right there…

You’re not thinking of a “smart” home? They have the capacity to monitor devices etc.

SAW

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Yeah time and amount in 30 minute intervals, and needs mobile reception. Can put out higher electro magnetic energy in the vicinity. I wouldn’t be too worried.
Depending on your retailer you may be able to access your usage data in interesting format. Red are shit, zilch. AGL not too bad, and Powershop presents really well. Good for checking your solar output too.
Thou I reckon from the data they could tweak your prices longer term. Watch out for more TIU categories beyond peak, off and shoulder coming in the future 🥸

possum

Germinating
User ID
G`Day , Billygoat. Nah i don`t do Reddit, and i certainly understand what a "Smart" Home is. I see a few people here don`t seem to be particularly concerned about these Meters. But, from the information i was reading there is a lot more to these Meters than meets the eye. Paranoid ? Hardly. If some of the nay sayers were to have a look for themselves, maybe their opinions may differ ? ...........Possum.

Top Bottom