RDWC Nutes advice

krazykatz69

Blooming
User ID
OK guys setup is nearly complete only one problem to solve now - I am running an inline pump outside the res which is outside the tent to avid the water heating up too quickly however I have now tried two pumps and both of them have leaked. Both pumps are Aqua One 105.
It looks like the rubber O'ring seals just aren't doing the job. Will go back to the hydro shop again tomorrow and return this pump and I will have to look elsewhere to sort another brand of pump. Anyone had this kind of issue before and can maybe recommend another brand of pump?

I have to give OZ88 the credit for ideas with my setup I have slightly copied your design however have gone a waterfall style so that the pump is pumping water into the tubs rather than pulling it out into the res.

I have my seeds in containers in paper towel on a heat mat, hopefully they will sprout as they are about 5 years old.

20201006_200019[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20201006_200045[1].jpg
    20201006_200045[1].jpg
    903.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20201005_184044[1].jpg
    20201005_184044[1].jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 16

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

krazykatz69

Blooming
User ID
Tidy set up.

You got a link to that inline pump?

Thanks mate :)

Can be used inline or submersible.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
wow. I have never considered one of those pumps as a non-submersible pump...

Just put it in the rez?

krazykatz69

Blooming
User ID
wow. I have never considered one of those pumps as a non-submersible pump...

Just put it in the rez?
Nah I want to do my best to keep water temps down - see if I can get away without having to buy a chiller - I think my wife might lose her shit if I fork out another $600 for the chiller!!!

Red Eye Hero

Baked
User ID
Nah I want to do my best to keep water temps down - see if I can get away without having to buy a chiller - I think my wife might lose her shit if I fork out another $600 for the chiller!!!
My system ran three days without water chiller and temps got to 21° anything over that produces root rot your going to need to buy one lol

D

Deleted member cpr

You might want to employ some other tricks if you're running without a chiller. Not sure how successful it would be but maybe some beneficials. Or the complete opposite, frequent small doses of pythoff, peroxide or some other sanitizer? Just thoughts.

krazykatz69

Blooming
User ID
Just a quick update, I bought a new pump wet/dry pump it still leaked a little bit but I put a bit of teflon tape around the o'ring seal and that did the trick. I have also been working on automation for the temp - Fan / Pump / Light. I have also added flood detection and a temp, humidity, pressure sensor and a temp sensor for the res. Part of it is arduino and part TPlink smart switches which all go back to the Home Assistant front end. I will now try to work out how to get some sripts happening to help control temperature and turn the pump off in the event of a flood. I will eventually add PH / EC monitoring and then hopefully control of PH and EC automatically.

Here are a couple of pics for now.

1602471950857.png

1602472000105.png

20201012_134011[1].jpg

Kloud9

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Just a quick update, I bought a new pump wet/dry pump it still leaked a little bit but I put a bit of teflon tape around the o'ring seal and that did the trick. I have also been working on automation for the temp - Fan / Pump / Light. I have also added flood detection and a temp, humidity, pressure sensor and a temp sensor for the res. Part of it is arduino and part TPlink smart switches which all go back to the Home Assistant front end. I will now try to work out how to get some sripts happening to help control temperature and turn the pump off in the event of a flood. I will eventually add PH / EC monitoring and then hopefully control of PH and EC automatically.

Here are a couple of pics for now.

View attachment 6216

View attachment 6217

View attachment 6218
What is this system, Build on ? E.g. hardware and software used? Nice set up

krazykatz69

Blooming
User ID
What is this system, Build on ? E.g. hardware and software used? Nice set up
I'm running Home Assistant as the front end. It is a open source home automation project.
My temp/pressure/humidity sensor is a BME280, my res sensor is a Dallas DS18B20 sensor and the flood sensor is a capacitive soil moisture sensor. They are all connected to a NodeMCU ESP8266. The exhaust fan, intake fan, light and water pump are all run from TP link smart switches. I got my inspiration from the LED gardener - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrXV026HnrWO7gPWWmQAq1g and still have a long way to go to get everything where I want it.

Hope that helps :)

Top Bottom