New Home Page

Mod

Administrator
Staff member
User ID
Hey All,

Currently the forum doesn't have a home page - it just directs everyone straight to the forum list.
This worked perfectly well, but now that the site is growing, we need to create a dedicated home page to list important information, achievements, comp winners, and other stuff.

I'd like your feedback on what should and should not be on this home page as you're the ones that will be using it.

My current ideas are:
- Awesome welcome banner (does someone wanna make one that is relevant???) Rewards available
- Basic 'About Us' information
- Links to the Member Competitions with basic information.
- List of all last month's winners for competitions
- Latest posts or something
- Popular or latest images maybe?

Please fire away

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

vostok

Blooming
User ID
invisible tracking pixel .gifs ...the usual

each addition is gonna cost I wait a bit b4 you rock the boat as others will expect much

good luck

User ID
Banner would be 900px wide. Height as appropriate for content, not much more than 200-300px would be good.
Comp winners will be there.
Hi , so that would be something like ' The Serrrated Edge since 4/20, logo, and maybe cannabis buds blended in the background with small thin cannabis leaf border

Mod

Administrator
Staff member
User ID
I dont think the log is required as it will be just above in the site header.
I was more thinking about some "join us" propaganda

User ID
I dont think the log is required as it will be just above in the site header.
I was more thinking about some "join us" propaganda
not that techy, i think i know what you mean like a banner link on a website to TSE along the lines join us, sort of advertise banner or list competitions for members, on liberty haze atm

Sugar

Baked
User ID
Hi, I think it's great you asking for input from members re home page content but I wonder though whether a home page is really necessary as it is the Forum that people want to go to and when I look around at other sites, many of them don't have a Home page but they have blinged up their Forum page to attract members and highlight various things.
Just thought I would mention it.

Mod

Administrator
Staff member
User ID
Hi, I think it's great you asking for input from members re home page content but I wonder though whether a home page is really necessary as it is the Forum that people want to go to and when I look around at other sites, many of them don't have a Home page but they have blinged up their Forum page to attract members and highlight various things.
Just thought I would mention it.
This was one of my concerns. Is the forum list an appropriate home page?
However, there is a lot of information that I'd like to share.
Worst case scenario, everyone hates it, I delete it

Sugar

Baked
User ID
This was one of my concerns. Is the forum list an appropriate home page?
However, there is a lot of information that I'd like to share.
Worst case scenario, everyone hates it, I delete it
I'll get back to you after I've thought through more but for a start I would def say Yes, the forum can be made great as a home page and to add more content then I think you might be able to create seperate files eg an About file doc which can be linked to the forum page etc and same where botm potm comp winner pics are then they go in a seperate gallery file...requires more admin mod work to do so then it could also be linked to forum page or display bud/plant winner from previous month etc....But I haven't had much to do with building web pages for a long time...Anoma might know more.

Also, I would think you can get more space on the Forum page by reducing font and table size etc.

Sugar

Baked
User ID
To me, THCtalk's website is a good example to follow as far as a nice clean yet effective Forum front page cannabis website. yes I am a long time member there but I still think it is very good and might give you some ideas as far as drop down lists, showcasing what drives traffic, how to retain and attract members etc. without being too blingy...doesnt need all the bells and whistles but what is attractive to sponsors and to members I think.

Of course that depends on how this web package is set up and what is allowable and able to be done.

I'm interested in what Anoma says as I'm so out of date on this stuff.

Mod

Administrator
Staff member
User ID
Thanks @Sugar
I've checked out their site, I thought this site had a lot of green haha.
@Anoma care to chime in?

Another thought (from thctalk.com) is to change the page layout to a full width design.
Currently the 'boxed' layout is in use, reducing the width of the content.
This is why there is a lot of white space on either side of each page.
Switching to a full width layout would create a lot more space.
However, it would make text a little harder to read on laptops/desktops as it won't be as compact.
Thoughts @Billygoat?
Could switch it for a day or two and see who whinges?

Madmick

Baked
User ID
What would attract me if I was looking around would be pictures

There's lot of great pictures of weed here already

Highlight bud/plant of the month

Pictures and more pictures

Anomas 91kg would look great on home pages, don't know how you'd do it , how many sites can boast about that , again don't know if this is feasible, but it would grab my interest

Pedro's monsters etc etc ,,

Sugar

Baked
User ID
Does current website package deal allow making use of the additional space hopefully created?

Top Bottom