New Home Page

R3za92

Baked
User ID
This was one of my concerns. Is the forum list an appropriate home page?
However, there is a lot of information that I'd like to share.
Worst case scenario, everyone hates it, I delete it
I kinda agree with sugar. This is a forum. Having the forum directory as the home page makes Sense because it allows you to get to anywhere from that page. It’s a kinda don’t fix what isn’t broken kinda situation I feel.

Last edited:

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Where miclenous is , as I said pictures instead of mainly text , feature of the month , thread of the month , whatever

Give ppl who just stumbled on site a reason to go in and see what else they like

The rest i find esay to navigate
So maybe keep the home page as it is and have a landing page? So if you click tse or home it takes you to the directory but if you use tse web address it brings you to a landing screen that you can than click though to get to the Home Screen/directory.

Mod

Administrator
Staff member
User ID
Page width changed to maximum of 1920px.
@Sugar - the yes but no.
@R3za92 - good suggestion, I'll look into that and see if it's easy and won't mess up any current links.

Sugar

Baked
User ID
..just looking more and you don't need people's avatars taking up so much space in the table rows.

Mod

Administrator
Staff member
User ID
With the full width option in place the avatar only takes up a tiny chunk of the screen.
Any smaller and the username field will start to overflow

Madmick

Baked
User ID
So maybe keep the home page as it is and have a landing page? So if you click tse or home it takes you to the directory but if you use tse web address it brings you to a landing screen that you can than click though to get to the Home Screen/directory.
Yeah that what I was trying to say

Mod

Administrator
Staff member
User ID
Initially had that. Everyone whinged cause they'd have to resize their images prior to uploading. It's not overly easy to to on the smartphones.
Could put in a solution that resizes the images on the server side, will look into it.
It will mean that when you click on an image on the forum it won't be the amazing large image you see now.
But it won't make much of a difference anyway given that if I set a max width/height of 1024px, it will still be 10240px worth of images to scroll through when someone uploads 10 at a time.
Everyone could use the media gallery embed instead of inserting directly into a post?

Mod

Administrator
Staff member
User ID
Test from the phone with a 1024px limit
16187160025583331053360109013048.jpg

Edit: It has cropped the image from 16:9 to 1:1. That won't work for a lot of uploads. Reverting.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
There was a home/landing page when the site first started, but ended up removing it, cant actually recall why.

I think it is needed for people landing on the page for the first time, give them a bit of an idea what the place is about?... Though I guess it is pretty obvious. lol.

For regular users it should not matter would it? just navigate straight to the forums link, not the home page?

Top Bottom