Mixing salts - diy concentrate bloom nutrient

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
It's been a while since I did any proper chem... I'd like some assistance/direction with my mission to mix up my own salt concentrate.

This is what I am wanting to do:

I use Green Planet GP3 Bloom (previous General Hydroponics as they are basically the same). I'm about to run out, but have on hand the salts needed to make it myself. It is a fairly simple formulation with the following guaranteed analysis:

Available Phosphate (P2O2) 5%
Soluble Potash (K2O) 4%
Mangesium (Mg) 1.5%
Sulfure (S) 2%

I've got the following materials:

Mono Potassium Phosphate (P=52. K=34)
Soluble Potash (K=41, S=17)
Magnesium Sulphate (Mg=9.6, S=12.4 w/w%)

I downloaded Hydrobuddy and had a play with it but am unsure I've calculated it correctly. I'd appreciate if someone could have a gander and let me know if I've got this sorted. I want to make a 5L stock concentrate, and I've pulled the ppm values from CannaStats (defunct website from a decade ago which had data and info for General Hydroponics).
1.jpg
2.jpg

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Interested to see how this pans out for you. Tried messing with Hydrobuddy but couldn't follow those YouTube tutorials 🤣, too much shit going on..

Some say that most of those numbers on the labels are completely different to what's actually in the bottle; another reason why I gave up.

Hopefully you work something out 👍, there's a DIY recipe for Hammerhead Shark which I've used before but for my last grows just been mixing up my own and just making adjustments based on different stages

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Interested to see how this pans out for you. Tried messing with Hydrobuddy but couldn't follow those YouTube tutorials 🤣, too much shit going on..

Some say that most of those numbers on the labels are completely different to what's actually in the bottle; another reason why I gave up.

Hopefully you work something out 👍, there's a DIY recipe for Hammerhead Shark which I've used before but for my last grows just been mixing up my own and just making adjustments based on different stages
Yeah I looked at a couple of tutorials but get confused with Freedom units. I was hoping doing a bloom nutrient would be a simple way to start rather than dealing with micronutrients etc. Initially I bought this stuff for making a PK booster and had seen a few recipes floating about - but will get more use if I can make a normal bloom mix. A 5L GP3 Bloom is around $70, so this would be a fraction of that.

I've heard similar about analysis on the bottle being different from the mix. I've just got to hope that it is more or less correct. The only difference between GH Bloom and GP Bloom is 0.5% sulfur. So, assuming both are hitting around their claims, it should be fine if I can mix that. The main reason I use the nutrient mix I do is because CannaStats was the website that got me up to speed with hydroponics and sold me on the Lucas formula - which I then went with the H3ad version for coco. They do mention a lot about desired ppm and why they modify the source mix to achieve their goal. It feels founded on a good bit of testing and that, so hopefully making my own of this part isn't so difficult.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Yeah I looked at a couple of tutorials but get confused with Freedom units. I was hoping doing a bloom nutrient would be a simple way to start rather than dealing with micronutrients etc. Initially I bought this stuff for making a PK booster and had seen a few recipes floating about - but will get more use if I can make a normal bloom mix. A 5L GP3 Bloom is around $70, so this would be a fraction of that.

I've heard similar about analysis on the bottle being different from the mix. I've just got to hope that it is more or less correct. The only difference between GH Bloom and GP Bloom is 0.5% sulfur. So, assuming both are hitting around their claims, it should be fine if I can mix that. The main reason I use the nutrient mix I do is because CannaStats was the website that got me up to speed with hydroponics and sold me on the Lucas formula - which I then went with the H3ad version for coco. They do mention a lot about desired ppm and why they modify the source mix to achieve their goal. It feels founded on a good bit of testing and that, so hopefully making my own of this part isn't so difficult.
Yeah with a bit of trial and error it hopefully will fall into place. I know @Rabbitlicker has mentioned using hydrobuddy too, not sure how far he got with it though.
Think there's been a few nutrient companies here that have paid thousands to get a proper chemical analysis of advanced nutrients bottles just to then copy and sell in their own bottles, which is just the Lucas formula with additional bits and pieces right?
Glad I made the switch to powders, but have used the GP dual fuel and massive which was okay for the price though

Rabbitlicker

Germinating
User ID
I also got a bit confused with Hydrobuddy, so this will be one of my wet/cold winter projects.

I did find this, which is pretty straightforward:

Hope this helps.....

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID
Hey mate,

This is a big rabbit hole. Happy to help where I can.

I would be hesitant to just make a bloom booster, nutrients are all about having the proper ratios of nutrients rather than having X ppm of Y element in solution.

The hardest thing about making these solutions I've found is getting the correct ratios down.

In regards to specifically making gp3 bloom that guaranteed minimum analysis is just that guaranteed minimum(could be much higher). I'm also pretty sure certain micronutrients don't need to be represented if they are under certain amounts. I also generally am against "boosters" as I don't see them needed lol.

In this situation I would personally just purchase the gp3 bloom as needed.

If you got specific questions I can try answer though.

Hope you've been well

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Thanks for the input folks. After considering the above and chatting it over, I've decided to chicken out and just buy a bottle instead of mixing. I'm already going off label with how I'm using the Green Planet stuff; mixing my own salts to replace one part while flying blind is a recipe for disaster. I'm too happy with things to go changing it up and going bad. So yeah, that's where I'll leave it for now.

Mixing salts probably makes more sense if doing the lot - and I probably don't need to go that far for my needs. I should look to changing my mix to something more standard next run. Probably make things simpler long term. So stay tuned for me asking for suggestions when that time comes

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Mate, I feel for you. Really!

In the meantime, just go fucking bonkers & do what works for you.
Thanks mate - yeah, sometimes my ambitions are just beyond my capability. I'll accept defeat on this one this time.

In some ways it feels a little pathetic because I should be able to do the chem - I'm partly lazy and partly just forgotten it all. It is within my grasp if I get more organised and work through it methodically with a clear statement of intent. What has transpired since the posting of this thread is me working on the fly to be cheaper than I should. Like my grandfather said "I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff". The bastard is always right and his words remind me of what to do.

Cheers 🖖

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I reckon look into the dry nutes rabbit and I have been using (after you go through your 3 part stuff), I reckon you won't look back, the special t is a great base to start with, very clean stuff and so much cheaper than the bottles 😀

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
I reckon look into the dry nutes rabbit and I have been using (after you go through your 3 part stuff), I reckon you won't look back, the special t is a great base to start with, very clean stuff and so much cheaper than the bottles 😀
Is that the Campbells brand? I had sacks of that when I was doing some hydro vegies outdoors. I got rid of it when I sold my setup. It's meant for tomatoes for figure it would suit Cannabis relatively well. Might look into that one again. Dry nutes is what I'd like to move onto

I got myself a new bottle of bloom nutrients to finish out the current run. I bought the GP3 Bloom online but when I went to collect they'd given me a bottle of Euro Genhydro stuff instead - it's all the same though but they charge double for it.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Is that the Campbells brand? I had sacks of that when I was doing some hydro vegies outdoors. I got rid of it when I sold my setup. It's meant for tomatoes for figure it would suit Cannabis relatively well. Might look into that one again. Dry nutes is what I'd like to move onto

I got myself a new bottle of bloom nutrients to finish out the current run. I bought the GP3 Bloom online but when I went to collect they'd given me a bottle of Euro Genhydro stuff instead - it's all the same though but they charge double for it.
Yeah that’s the campells. The diamond is their tomato mix. I know a few people using it in a 2:2:1 ratio (diamond t : calcium nitrate : magnesium sulfate) for weed with good results. They just either reduce or remove the calcium nitrate and replace it with mono potassium phosphate for their bloom cycle (personally I think removing it lowerers the calcium too much but 🤷🏼‍♂️)

I’ve used the campbells before but this is what I’ll be using once my house and garden cocos run out. Same same but reallyIMG_5123.jpeg

Last edited:

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Also, Enfield Pet and Produce sell smaller bags, 25kg is a bit too much for me. So bought the Special T, Calcium Nitrate, Magnesium Sulfate in the 10kg bags and MKP in a 5kg bag..

Probably have used $5 worth of nutes so far..
As Rez mentioned, 2:2:1 for veg and just readjust for week 3 flower onwards

Rabbitlicker

Germinating
User ID
I also buy from Enfield, in 25Kg bags. If you keep it in airtight 20L buckets (think the big green shed), the stuff will last for ages.

It costs me about $10-$12 to make 1000L for my OD stuff that's DTW. The ID stuff is still being fed the leftover liquid nutes that I'm working my way through, but will change-out once they're done.

Now, I'm coming across as either a drug baron, or just a tightarse.....

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Also, Enfield Pet and Produce sell smaller bags, 25kg is a bit too much for me. So bought the Special T, Calcium Nitrate, Magnesium Sulfate in the 10kg bags and MKP in a 5kg bag..

Probably have used $5 worth of nutes so far..
As Rez mentioned, 2:2:1 for veg and just readjust for week 3 flower onwards

Theses guys sell smaller amounts as well.

Hoocho is pretty good when it comes to non cannabis hydroponics.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Woo thanks everyone for chiming in with their notes. Ripper to know there's a few options about and don't have to buy in crazy supply.

I was pretty happy with using the Campbells stuff with my lettuce and tomatoes (the legit kind!). Saves me having to go the outer suburbs on public transport just to get a 5L bottle of bloom :ROFLMAO:

Rabbitlicker

Germinating
User ID

Theses guys sell smaller amounts as well.
I absolutely shuddered when I clicked on that link.

That homebrewing business (Kuntland) & the man behind it will never get my custom under any circumstances. EVER!!!

Last edited:

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
I absolutely shuddered when I clicked on that link.

That homebrewing business (Kuntland) & the man behind it will never get my custom under any circumstances. EVER!!!
Damn, what's so bad about them? I've bought from them in the past... should I not be supporting them?

Top Bottom