Looking for a USB-C Camera/Loupe for a Tablet/Phone.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
As the title suggest. I'm on the hunt for a decent digital camera/loupe that i can plug into Tablet or Phone via the USB-C. Preferably loupe that can do at least 60x zoom. Reason being, i need glasses these days and i don't necessarily want to bury myself into the plants just to check shit out. It seems handy to have the option to stick a camera onto a region of concern and check it out on screen.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning such a device a few months back. So I'm interested in hearing what others may have stumbled across in the canna world that could fill this void? Anything worth checking out?

The budget isn't that flash, but i could probably do up to $500

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Jaz

Curing
User ID
What about an endoscope? That way you can really poke right into tight nooks to get a peek at what's going on.
I've seen engine builders use the hand held ones to check out piston condition via spark plug holes, etc. but there are some you can plug into phones, not sure about magnification though

j

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I do already have a waterproof one, but it's very basic. it's got a light and magnification, but they're both fixed. and about a 10m lead (a PITA). Primarily designed to check out drains/pipes.

I'm looking for something that has adjustable lighting and magnification, on about a 1.2-1.5m lead. Sounds like i'm fussy, but if i'm outlaying those sort of $$$ i want it to have the features i'm looking for.

Reactions: Jaz

Unknown User

Curing
User ID
I got a cheap one off Amazon. They are about $30. But u get what you pay for. They all work. It’s just the quality of the image.
the cheapies provide images that are not natural Colored. u can zoom in and see each individual trich on your phone screen if u want. but the coloring is crap.
from what I’ve learnt, I’d go with a more recognised brand that specializes in optics. Celestion is one that does. They make telescopes, etc.

Unknown User

Curing
User ID
I checked out that one you posted Indy. There may be better models that are worth checking out With greater features, I’m guessing the price keeps going up from there.
this may sound cheap, but there is another option.
if you’ve got a single camera lense phone, not one of those latest iPhones with 3 lenses, is to buy a decent 30x loupe that you hold in front of the lense when u take a photo. Or there are ones you can attach to the top of the phone.
u then zoom in max on the phone, whilst using the loupe, and this surprisingly does work Very well.
colors are accurate.
U can control lighting to a small degree, all software based on your phones camera. Or flash. I also prefer to take photos under the tent light.
i use this method over the usb microscope. And don’t waste your money on a handheld microscope. I’ve got one of those too and it will be re gifted at some future stage to an unsuspecting victim.

out of ALL the options available. The phone with the loupe is the best For quality of image, color and clarity.
And if you keep your photos, you’ve got photos to refer back to.

Jaz

Curing
User ID
I do already have a waterproof one, but it's very basic. it's got a light and magnification, but they're both fixed. and about a 10m lead (a PITA).

lol, yeah, by handheld I meant the ones with much shorter cable.

Something like this, which has a light dimmer.

5fffde5165a07505660845.jpg

EXTECH BR250, Video Borescope Wireless Inspection Camera

Not sure of magnification but there may be ones out there with that feature. Comes with microSD card, etc. so you can transfer images/video to your PC

if you’ve got a single camera lens phone, buy a decent 30x loupe that you hold in front of the lens when u take a photo. Or there are ones you can attach to the top of the phone.

Yeah the clip on ones, you can get them 60x-100x even and quite cheap on eBay, they have their own battery for the LEDs so there's no need to plug into your phone, you get what you pay for I'm guessing.

j

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I checked out that one you posted Indy. There may be better models that are worth checking out With greater features, I’m guessing the price keeps going up from there.
this may sound cheap, but there is another option.
if you’ve got a single camera lense phone, not one of those latest iPhones with 3 lenses, is to buy a decent 30x loupe that you hold in front of the lense when u take a photo. Or there are ones you can attach to the top of the phone.
u then zoom in max on the phone, whilst using the loupe, and this surprisingly does work Very well.
colors are accurate.
U can control lighting to a small degree, all software based on your phones camera. Or flash. I also prefer to take photos under the tent light.
i use this method over the usb microscope. And don’t waste your money on a handheld microscope. I’ve got one of those too and it will be re gifted at some future stage to an unsuspecting victim.

out of ALL the options available. The phone with the loupe is the best For quality of image, color and clarity.
And if you keep your photos, you’ve got photos to refer back to.
Hmm, not a bad option, mate. I didn't consider that one. A bloke might have to get a iPhone.

There was another on on the Celestion site. But they're asking $600 for it. Price wise she's a bit of a stretch with my budget.

Indy

Misfit
User ID

View attachment 24159

Not sure of magnification but there may be ones out there with that feature. Comes with microSD card, etc. so you can transfer images/video to your PC

Yeah the clip on ones, you can get them 60x-100x even and quite cheap on eBay, they have their own battery for the LEDs so there's no need to plug into your phone, you get what you pay for I'm guessing.

j

Ahh yeah, I did come across that one but didn't give it much thought. I'll check it out all the same. (y)

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Seriously buddy, hand held digital microscope is tha bomb
Up 2 a 1000x mag, u can even see what's in head of trichome and individual pistil fibres
Truely amazing opens up whole new world
Plugs into usb on any lappy or android phone
Works with all windows,linux or mac
Best part only $35-$50 online, mines a Jiusion. U can even take pics or vids and save 2 comp or phone
Best way i've found 2 gauge perfect time 2 chop

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Seriously buddy, hand held digital microscope is tha bomb
Up 2 a 1000x mag, u can even see what's in head of trichome and individual pistil fibres
Truely amazing opens up whole new world
Plugs into usb on any lappy or android phone
Works with all windows,linux or mac
Best part only $35-$50 online, mines a Jiusion. U can even take pics or vids and save 2 comp or phone
Best way i've found 2 gauge perfect time 2 chop

Yeah, I've sussed those ones out, mate. But I'm a bit concerned of the lower end of the magnification, as a majority start at either 40x or 50x. I was thinking I'd need something around 10x. How do you find the lower end of magnification?

Indy

Misfit
User ID

View attachment 24159

j

Cheers for linking it, jaz. But I don't think its quite what I'm looking for. I'd probably struggle holding it still enough to get a proper shot/view of it. Though that concern is one I have across the whole range to some extent. With one hand I might be in with a chance, with two i'd probably be all over shop.. :oops:

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Actually lower end gives a much clearer and defined picture than higher end
At 40x it's easy 2 define trike colour and pistil clarity
At higher end u can make out liquid structure and viscosity of what is in bulb of trike just a bit harder 2 focus
Can't really comment on 10x
One thing 4 sure is it complements all other means of knowing where ure at harvest wise
If ure a bit shaky like me, just bust a lil nug off, put in tupperware container and brace fingers on the corners

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Hmm, s'pose it wouldn't hurt to throw $35-$50 at one just to check em out. Come to think of it, I mightve bought one yonks ago, I'll check my box of tricks first.

Cheers, mate. (y)

Kee Mao

Baked
User ID
Ahh yeah, that's not bad. That'd be good enough for what I intend use it for. Like checking out tri's, pests, fugus, etc..
Yeah,I’m pretty keen on one too. Good reviews and 30 bucks,that’s only about 2 1/2 kg of tomatoes.

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Mate fungus gnats look like teradactols....[flying dinosaurs] under that thing
Any bug u have that u don't know u have sticks out like gonads of a blue heeler
And for $4o what is there 2 lose....[40]
Highly recommend

Unknown User

Curing
User ID
Bob, yours works for sure. you got one that is way better than mine. And it takes photos……bloody hell.

I’m such a tights ass, I bought the cheapest one available. eg, It doesn’t have the ability to take photos. And this was my mistake.

i couldnt see the trichs whilst the bud was still on the plant.
when I removed a small bud site, and cleared room on my cluttered workbench, It took a while to dial it in to see the trichs, and I got pissed off cos my hands ached like fuck. Think my missus got worried cos I started yelling at the scope.
that was my crappy experience. Sadly.
went back to the couch, had a vape, cleared the aches and searched google for close up photography.

I saw some folks using the phone camera with a loupe…..
I had the phone already. I knew I had a loupe, but couldn’t remember when I bought it or where it was in the house. Searched everywhere a couple of times…….it was with the knife sharpening kit……I finally found it.

So when I tried the phone and loupe, it was fast. the photos are pretty good. It works for my circumstances. But equally as glad you got the handheld that clearly does a way better job than the one I bought.
moral of the story for newbies…… ask!

Top Bottom