Just saying Hello

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
There is a few accomplished breeders on here my last 2 runs was from TSE breeders and this run is a mix of TSE and Ethos and there is not much difference in quality be it ETHOS has time and a huge purpose built facility
Sounds good, always keen to grow something different.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Thanks mate. I grow so many things I've got no room left :) Yes I love berries too, got strawbs, native Atherton raspberry, kerri berry, European raspberry, blueberry, panama berry, elderberry (euro and native). Also have several citrus: lime, blood orange, lemonade, kaffir lime, mandarin, bush lemon. Dragon fruit, passion fruit, Thai mango, paw paw, bananas, euro and native figs...

For the last two years I've been focusing on high calorie crops for making hearty curries and soups. Several legumes like Madagascar, pigeon pea, snake beans, black eyed beans. Also grow a few different tuber varieties including cocoyam, taro, purple yam and native pencil yam + cheeky yam - excellent survival crops if you are in the right climate.

I should have more planting material by winter if you're keen, cuttings/seeds/tubers etc - let me know mate :)
That’s awesome mate.

I’ve only started the last couple of seasons but I would love to be semi self sufficient with fruits and veggies.

All vego at my house too but the kids are picky. So getting them to grow their own my entice them to eat better. Certainly taste better that’s for sure.

I just need land. Current retail doesn’t have that great of yard space so I make do with it what I have.

Cuttings or seeds down the track would be great. That’s really generous of you mate.

Good luck jumping into the medicinal growing 😉

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Y
Lol I meant to ask questions and learn from ATM you won't get access untill its establish your not the plod 😆 😂 🤣 maybe a grow diary or 2
Yes, I understand. Luckily I have a few different seeds but can only do small plants (5L pots, stealthy) and only have a small patch of sunlight. Still better than buying PGR, which is why I started growing again recently :)

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
That’s awesome mate.

I’ve only started the last couple of seasons but I would love to be semi self sufficient with fruits and veggies.

All vego at my house too but the kids are picky. So getting them to grow their own my entice them to eat better. Certainly taste better that’s for sure.

I just need land. Current retail doesn’t have that great of yard space so I make do with it what I have.

Cuttings or seeds down the track would be great. That’s really generous of you mate.

Good luck jumping into the medicinal growing 😉
Awesome mate. Never a better time to be less reliant on supermarkets!

Thanks, I have a couple of dwarf plants going now, just finding a setup that works best for my situation. It's exciting :)

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Awesome mate. Never a better time to be less reliant on supermarkets!

Thanks, I have a couple of dwarf plants going now, just finding a setup that works best for my situation. It's exciting :)
Dwarf plants are perfect for the wicking planters I use.
Are they heirloom varieties that you have?

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Dwarf plants are perfect for the wicking planters I use.
Are they heirloom varieties that you have?
Actually these are GSCExtreme autos that I keep small by using smaller pots and filtered sunlight. I got a few seeds from the very last plant from Bergman before they stopped shipping to Oz. So I try to have a perpetual grow sowing every 2 weeks :p So far no hermies hehe.

But I do have some heirloom/landrace Afghan, Lebanese and Lao (Thai stick) waiting to go in...got no space atm! Also have a very nice Banana Dance fem for clones - they stay small as well.

Can't wait for room to grow big plants like some of the peeps here. Like you said, just need land :)

Wicking planters would be good, I've used them for herbs/veggies but not weed. Have you grown much in them?

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Actually these are GSCExtreme autos that I keep small by using smaller pots and filtered sunlight. I got a few seeds from the very last plant from Bergman before they stopped shipping to Oz. So I try to have a perpetual grow sowing every 2 weeks :p So far no hermies hehe.

But I do have some heirloom/landrace Afghan, Lebanese and Lao (Thai stick) waiting to go in...got no space atm! Also have a very nice Banana Dance fem for clones - they stay small as well.

Can't wait for room to grow big plants like some of the peeps here. Like you said, just need land :)

Wicking planters would be good, I've used them for herbs/veggies but not weed. Have you grown much in them?
I meant more veggie and fruit heirlooms 😆 but that’s cool you have some landrace canna too.

I had a nice grow last time in the wicking planter with my mendo purps and north lights crosses. I’ll be running it again soon.

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
I meant more veggie and fruit heirlooms 😆 but that’s cool you have some landrace canna too.

I had a nice grow last time in the wicking planter with my mendo purps and north lights crosses. I’ll be running it again soon.
Ah yeah most of my non canna is heirloom, I save seed from everything so no hybrids. I do have a preference for natural dwarf fruit trees, mulberries, mango etc - less work and more sunlight distribution. Just keep things pruned to 2m or less :)

Nice one with the wicking planter, I bet its low maintenance. Do you start your seeds direct in them or transplant?

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Ah yeah most of my non canna is heirloom, I save seed from everything so no hybrids. I do have a preference for natural dwarf fruit trees, mulberries, mango etc - less work and more sunlight distribution. Just keep things pruned to 2m or less :)

Nice one with the wicking planter, I bet its low maintenance. Do you start your seeds direct in them or transplant?
So far I’ve bought seedlings of fruits. Raspberry, blueberries and strawberries
Zucchini, red guava and feijoa too

With canna I started seeds in small containers then transplanted as well.
Next round I'm thinking of straight to planter.

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
So far I’ve bought seedlings of fruits. Raspberry, blueberries and strawberries
Zucchini, red guava and feijoa too

With canna I started seeds in small containers then transplanted as well.
Next round I'm thinking of straight to planter.
Nice mate, fruits/berries are good for kids to get involved. I find digging for spuds and tubers is fun too, like finding treasure!

Cool, yeah I like to get the roots growing in tubestock with most plants but if you have nice loose soil direct planting is good. I was looking at getting an IBC tank for a wicking bed, but they are pretty big - 2 x 500L.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Nice mate, fruits/berries are good for kids to get involved. I find digging for spuds and tubers is fun too, like finding treasure!

Cool, yeah I like to get the roots growing in tubestock with most plants but if you have nice loose soil direct planting is good. I was looking at getting an IBC tank for a wicking bed, but they are pretty big - 2 x 500L.
I want to make an ibc wicker too. I have a container without the cage. Might make a frame out of pallets

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID

Welcome Greenman, judging from what you are growing in your veggie garden I'd say you are up our way. We've just started smoking again now that the kids are gone and are growing mostly landrace sativas. They're hoot to dry in the Wet, but an easy outdoor grow up here.

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Welcome Greenman, judging from what you are growing in your veggie garden I'd say you are up our way. We've just started smoking again now that the kids are gone and are growing mostly landrace sativas. They're hoot to dry in the Wet, but an easy outdoor grow up here.
Thanks mate. I'm probs a bit further south, sub tropics. Nice one, gotta love the old school plants. Good positive smoke, we used to laugh a lot then :p

Yeah I had some Thai that finished in late May a few years back, ended up with a bit of mould from cold/wet :(
I have a Lebanese I'm keen to try soon, very early flowering and maturing, should fill the gaps in the year. I don't need much smoke but just want a regular supply, lol.

What landraces are you growing?

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID
It sounds like a nice permie food garden, are you growing any Sweetleaf or Okinawa Spinach? They with Kang kong make up our year round "curry greens". Are you too far south for Breadfruit?

Agree on the sativas, I've found that I'm noticing other positive changes in my aging body and mind. I much prefer something that lets me wake and bake and still function. The long grow season is something we'll have to fiddle with, I've bought a light and heat mats to start earlier this year.

We've been growing mostly Columbian Gold and Maui Wowie atm, clones of those two were the gift that keeps on giving but have invested in thai hash stick, congolese, panama red and golden malawi seeds. There maybe others in the fridge, hubby is the selector, I'm just the dry/cure/store/smoker :) We're just growing for personal use so a few six foot plants go a long way.

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
It sounds like a nice permie food garden, are you growing any Sweetleaf or Okinawa Spinach? They with Kang kong make up our year round "curry greens". Are you too far south for Breadfruit?

Agree on the sativas, I've found that I'm noticing other positive changes in my aging body and mind. I much prefer something that lets me wake and bake and still function. The long grow season is something we'll have to fiddle with, I've bought a light and heat mats to start earlier this year.

We've been growing mostly Columbian Gold and Maui Wowie atm, clones of those two were the gift that keeps on giving but have invested in thai hash stick, congolese, panama red and golden malawi seeds. There maybe others in the fridge, hubby is the selector, I'm just the dry/cure/store/smoker :) We're just growing for personal use so a few six foot plants go a long way.
Yes, I do grow both of those, and sambung which is similar to Okinawan. They grow very well all year. This year I have also been growing Chaya Mexican spinach which is great for warm climate - highly nutrient dense too.
Nice, love kang kong but I think I need more of a water garden setup for it...its not as lush as I have seen in Thailand etc. How do you grow yours?

I haven't even tried breadfruit yet, but love jamaican food and grow a few ingredients including allspice, so will look in to it. You recommend it?

Wow that's a great selection of landrace/heirlooms, I haven't seen Maui wowie for a while. You just need some Afghani/kush type to complete the collection! haha. I will be making some seeds from mine over the next few months, hopefully. Lol yeah even one six foot plant would probably last me a year :p

Top Bottom