Just saying Hello

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Breadfruit is the best.
I had it in the Caribbean and recently found them for sale near me. Yum.

I grow kangkong in those shell shaped kids sand pit things filled with soil and water. Also water cress same way. Vietnamese mint in pots sitting in the water goes really well also. Seems they like a lot of water.

But breadfruit. Man I’d love a tree

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Breadfruit is the best.
I had it in the Caribbean and recently found them for sale near me. Yum.

I grow kangkong in those shell shaped kids sand pit things filled with soil and water. Also water cress same way. Vietnamese mint in pots sitting in the water goes really well also. Seems they like a lot of water.

But breadfruit. Man I’d love a tree
Ah cool, defo keen on breadfruit now! Don't you have the space for a tree?

Actually I do have one of those shell pit things for my mint patch...grows very well. Will plant some kang kong in September then. Yes I also grow Vietnamese mint like that in pots...vigorous plants.

If I had a hundred acres I reckon I could fill it with fruit and nut trees, lol. Plus all the canna...

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I have room for a tree. Not sure they will grow here, I’m in Perth hills
I would imagine they would take ages to grow too. Damn I’m gonna look into it though.
Chuck them whole in ashes of a fire, the texture is amazing.

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
I would imagine they would take ages to grow too. Damn I’m gonna look into it though.
Ah right, maybe in a micro climate you could do it. You may also be able to get grafted for faster fruiting, not sure if there are compatible species.

Fire roasted sounds very nice. Love coconuts like that too.

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID
Yes, I do grow both of those, and sambung which is similar to Okinawan. They grow very well all year. This year I have also been growing Chaya Mexican spinach which is great for warm climate - highly nutrient dense too.
Nice, love kang kong but I think I need more of a water garden setup for it...its not as lush as I have seen in Thailand etc. How do you grow yours?

I haven't even tried breadfruit yet, but love jamaican food and grow a few ingredients including allspice, so will look in to it. You recommend it?

Wow that's a great selection of landrace/heirlooms, I haven't seen Maui wowie for a while. You just need some Afghani/kush type to complete the collection! haha. I will be making some seeds from mine over the next few months, hopefully. Lol yeah even one six foot plant would probably last me a year :p
Our Kang Kong is growing in a shallow bath close to our shadehouse (which gets watered everyday), much like Harry's.

Definitely would if you can get one growing. I've heard of "a" breadfruit tree growing around Mackay and wouldn't be surprised if someone has one growing in Northern NSW but they are pretty tropical. It is a very flexible fruit and can be used immature for chips curries, etc or ripe for desserts. Propagation is done by root cuttings, most varieties don't set seed. Jakfruit might be an easier grow for you and also is great in curries (green or seeds).

Full disclosure that's what our seeds were sold as but the Maui Wowie looked it had indica in it and grew/flowered like some sort of auto cross :ROFLMAO: . It'll be interesting if the rest are what they are supposed to be. Just realized we also have some Mango Biche flowering now (thanks Sedge!!).

It's great to see so many people here growing their own food. I guess it goes hand in hand with growing your own weed.

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID
These people might be able to give you more info Harry, I'm surprised how many true tropicals are on their trial list. https://www.rarefruitclub.org.au/Section3.htm

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Thanks.
After listening to mainly reggae music my whole life I was so excited finally try it when I went to the Caribbean ( st Vincent ).

Saw a teenager selling them on the side of the road. Bought one and he said come back in a few hours. He went and cooked it for me.

Simple thing but it was one of those days that I’ll always remember.

junglelover

Vegetating
User ID
Thanks.
After listening to mainly reggae music my whole life I was so excited finally try it when I went to the Caribbean ( st Vincent ).

Saw a teenager selling them on the side of the road. Bought one and he said come back in a few hours. He went and cooked it for me.

Simple thing but it was one of those days that I’ll always remember.
You be eatin that Ital food Harry, Rastifari!!!

I lived in the Caribbean on and off for a few years. I loved it, my liver not so much. The double edged sword of duty free alcohol ;)

GreenMan

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Our Kang Kong is growing in a shallow bath close to our shadehouse (which gets watered everyday), much like Harry's.

Definitely would if you can get one growing. I've heard of "a" breadfruit tree growing around Mackay and wouldn't be surprised if someone has one growing in Northern NSW but they are pretty tropical. It is a very flexible fruit and can be used immature for chips curries, etc or ripe for desserts. Propagation is done by root cuttings, most varieties don't set seed. Jakfruit might be an easier grow for you and also is great in curries (green or seeds).

Full disclosure that's what our seeds were sold as but the Maui Wowie looked it had indica in it and grew/flowered like some sort of auto cross :ROFLMAO: . It'll be interesting if the rest are what they are supposed to be. Just realized we also have some Mango Biche flowering now (thanks Sedge!!).

It's great to see so many people here growing their own food. I guess it goes hand in hand with growing your own weed.
Thanks for the info. I will keep breadfruit on my list for when I get a bigger patch of land, and maybe a bit further north. Yes jakfruit would be good - I do use the green ones for curries...great texture.

Ah shame about the Maui wowie, hope the next ones are the real deal! Mango Biche sounds nice, anything mango is a winner for me :)

Yes I agree about growing weed and food, makes sense - it is the same process of nurturing and reward. Such a big reward too the way society is going. I've been gathering food and medicine seeds/plants for years - just gotta make it productive, haha!

Top Bottom