How long is too long when germinating

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Shit yeah mate. especially what u pay 4 seeds, and if u know they are of quality stoneage, then u gotta try all options......u never know

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Oh, they weren't in the fridge, just in a sealed bag in a dark container, and the same bag 4 years ago ended up getting 20 germinating of just over a 100 direct in soil outside, so I was optimistically hopefully as initially tried about the same amount direct in soil to see what happened, but no go , so been trying other methods as mentioned above, never hurts to try as that's all I got
4years ago sounds promising.
if you still have plenty try twenty or so ,you might get lucky ,
But also the shells will be harder so would take longer to germ anyway,,someone gave the correct ratio of water to hydrogen peroxide so give them a soak in that,,but first scarify them all.
And grab a few or 1/2 a dozen and play around with cracking them open ,,you’ll probably fuck the first few but if your careful you’ll get the pressure right and Bobs your Afghan uncle.

Bear777

Vegetating
User ID
I tried to pressing down on the seem with my fingernail, but either I wasn't dexterous or strong enough to get those old hard seeds to start cracking open...I had to resort to using a tool, opened a dozen, screwed one, and 3 were varying shades of brown, the rest were bright white with one or two had started to try to grow a little already it looked but judging on on hard they were to open maybe they just couldn't do it on their own, now just have to wait and see...I did watch a video the other day where someone from a company had developed a tissue culture they said , where after doing the peroxide , they would soak it in it and it had sugar and oxygen in that, which would help give some vigor they said to the seed as they said basically that's what they are missing as I think if I remember right they said something about the enzymes were lacking and because of that would be slow and that would help get things going. They always mentioned about a similar technique had terminated a 20000 yr old seed of some sort. Did make me wonder what kind of at home recipe could help replicate giving a cracked seed some sugar and oxygen.

Kneeko

Blooming
User ID
Yes Ive been wondering about that too..
H202 will help germination but “Carbohydrate loading” is apparently … a thing..
Like if the seeds weren’t mature when harvested the carb load night not be enough to get them through the first few days after germ…
Someone posted a vid with the info in it awhile ago.
Cus wuite a few times Ive had seeds that germ…. Grow a 1-2mm dick… then stall…
I reckon thats the carb load thing…

I’d like to know if there is a carb ir sugar to do just that…

Top Bottom