How long is too long when germinating

Bear777

Vegetating
User ID
With old seeds that were initially in water and hydrogen peroxide for the first 12 to 18 hours until they sank, then transferred to moist paper towel, how long would you try to give them a chance at germinating before trying another method.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Id probably be putting in an extra seed at 48 hrs
but the first one might still pop up a day later .

what temperature are the seeds at ?
And what was peroxide/water ratio ?

Bear777

Vegetating
User ID
Id probably be putting in an extra seed at 48 hrs
but the first one might still pop up a day later .

what temperature are the seeds at ?
And what was peroxide/water ratio ?
20 to 24 degrees
On this latest batch I tried earlier this week, I used a little too much peroxide, instead of a few drops in a cup of water, there was probably 3mm deep that splashed in before I added rain water to a regular size cup...
Ok , I think I may need to let these ones dry out again as were over 36 hours (I have never tried to dry out before and try again with different method, but someone recommended that here, as I previously had just thought they were duds if they didn't germinate, but I am willing to try again with these ones , what do I have to lose , nothing's germinated yet

Bear777

Vegetating
User ID
I'm sure with fresh seeds I wouldn't be having problems, but I still can't find a good domestic source, tried yantra but they wouldn't even get back to me when I contacted them, and when tried to register as member with them it just said you will receive further instructions in your email but nothing ever came...made me a bit suss

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
To register you need further instructions ?
that don’t sound right ,,it’s just like registering to any other site.
what exactly didn’t they get back to you about when you tried contacting them ?

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
10 mls of hydro peroxide to 170 mls of good water
Thats what some of seedbanks say as germ guide

HGO

Plant of the Month - Sep,2020.
Community Member
User ID
I only use half a shotglass of water with one or two drops of hydrogen peroxide never needed any more liquid than that even with a dozen seeds

Bear777

Vegetating
User ID
To register you need further instructions ?
that don’t sound right ,,it’s just like registering to any other site.
what exactly didn’t they get back to you about when you tried contacting them ?
after you add to cart, and go into your cart , there is only update cart as option, but up top there is login or register, so I tried to register as I thought maybe that's why I could not progress to a checkout, so after filling in your details, to register you get a 'you will receive further instructions in your email ' and I never received any email from them, so I tried to contact them using their contact form asking how to make a purchase and I never received any email back, and that was over a week ago now, so that's where I got up to.

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
How old are seeds ? gets harder 2 germ the older they are
U could always try running fine sandpaper over seam of seed but don't like chances

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
after you add to cart, and go into your cart , there is only update cart as option, but up top there is login or register, so I tried to register as I thought maybe that's why I could not progress to a checkout, so after filling in your details, to register you get a 'you will receive further instructions in your email ' and I never received any email from them, so I tried to contact them using their contact form asking how to make a purchase and I never received any email back, and that was over a week ago now, so that's where I got up to.
i haven’t used them for a long time but they used to contact you on how to pay ,,,
have you checked your spam mail ..the reply could be there.
have you tried again to register ?

Any problem seeds i find I end up manually cracking the seed open ,,just gotta be very gentle ,,

Bear777

Vegetating
User ID
i haven’t used them for a long time but they used to contact you on how to pay ,,,
have you checked your spam mail ..the reply could be there.
have you tried again to register ?

Any problem seeds i find I end up manually cracking the seed open ,,just gotta be very gentle ,,
Yes, I checked every folder in my mail,
No, I didn't try again to register, cause I started to wonder why I hadn't been contacted after giving personal details to register

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Well if they weren’t refrigerated for the last 20 years you probably got no hope of germing any.

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Carry on with the other methods of sand paper and or manually cracking, or carry on with damp paper towel did you mean
Didn't realize they be 20 yrs old
Ment carry on with ure life and give them a miss
As Sedge said if they weren't refridged or humatically sealed, u got no hope

Bear777

Vegetating
User ID
Oh, they weren't in the fridge, just in a sealed bag in a dark container, and the same bag 4 years ago ended up getting 20 germinating of just over a 100 direct in soil outside, so I was optimistically hopefully as initially tried about the same amount direct in soil to see what happened, but no go , so been trying other methods as mentioned above, never hurts to try as that's all I got

Top Bottom