Hello Growers! Smokers! Tokers!

SeaOfGreenKing

Germinating
User ID
New to this forum but have been an indoor grower for 30 years, so hopefully I can share some of my wisdom on here.

So a big hello to everyone on here! Here's a little rundown about myself :)

Started growing with a 400w HPS in 1992 back in New Zealand. Since then I have tried numerous strains & nutrients (too many to remember), a lot of additives, all growing mediums, hydroponics, large plants & SOG method.

After the first 10 years experimenting in New Zealand I came to Australia and started buying seeds from seed banks in the Netherlands, even back then 20 years ago I still had problems with seed banks selling unstable strains and getting those pain in the butt Hermies! I ended up getting clones In Aussie from some guy who sold clones online, I think he called the strain "Red Devil" (interested if anyone here remembers this guy from 2001) This strain ended up being completely stable and gone were the days of Hermies.

I settled on x2 400w HPS for flowing and simple florescent tubes for my mother plant and clones. I gravitated towards SOG method and perpetual harvesting which many of those years were using Rockwool and/or Perlite as my growing medium, whilst using Canna Nutrients and additives. During those years harvests were averaging around 12 to 15 oz per month.

After 10 years of good success I packed down for a few years. When I set back up and needed a stable strain again I found myself in the same position, numerous orders from overseas seed banks with most becoming hermaphrodite. I then tried strains from Mandala seeds (Satori) and finally got a stable strain again. For the next 7 years I changed to Coco coir and Advanced Nutrients with their additives (though still use Canna Riz for clones and Silica from another brand) The change brought great results, after the switch I didn't need to test PH or EC Levels, gone were any deficiencies and colour problems. Most importantly harvest went up to around 18 to 20 oz every month. If anything I struggled only with keeping the heavy SOG single stem buds from falling over, hardly a bad problem!

Like many growers I have struggled with all that comes with indoor growing, went through years of doing my head in in regards to deficiencies, correct PH & EC levels, bugs and mould issues.

At this stage I'm not set up but looking for a stable strain before getting back into it. Any suggestions are appreciated! In the coming months I will share some things I've never seen anyone else do in the world of growing, some of which will be sure to blow a few minds!

Happy Growing, smoking, toking guys!

Regards
SOGK

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Green_Sick

Vegetating
User ID
Hi there and welcome.

I'm extremely new to the flower and I have to be honest more than half of your post went straight over my head.
I admit that 'perpetual harvesting' has me intrigued.
I hope you explain more about it for the benefit of brand newbies like me.

The people here are lovely and so welcoming.

Enjoy.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
New to this forum but have been an indoor grower for 30 years, so hopefully I can share some of my wisdom on here.

So a big hello to everyone on here! Here's a little rundown about myself :)

Started growing with a 400w HPS in 1992 back in New Zealand. Since then I have tried numerous strains & nutrients (too many to remember), a lot of additives, all growing mediums, hydroponics, large plants & SOG method.

After the first 10 years experimenting in New Zealand I came to Australia and started buying seeds from seed banks in the Netherlands, even back then 20 years ago I still had problems with seed banks selling unstable strains and getting those pain in the butt Hermies! I ended up getting clones In Aussie from some guy who sold clones online, I think he called the strain "Red Devil" (interested if anyone here remembers this guy from 2001) This strain ended up being completely stable and gone were the days of Hermies.

I settled on x2 400w HPS for flowing and simple florescent tubes for my mother plant and clones. I gravitated towards SOG method and perpetual harvesting which many of those years were using Rockwool and/or Perlite as my growing medium, whilst using Canna Nutrients and additives. During those years harvests were averaging around 12 to 15 oz per month.

After 10 years of good success I packed down for a few years. When I set back up and needed a stable strain again I found myself in the same position, numerous orders from overseas seed banks with most becoming hermaphrodite. I then tried strains from Mandala seeds (Satori) and finally got a stable strain again. For the next 7 years I changed to Coco coir and Advanced Nutrients with their additives (though still use Canna Riz for clones and Silica from another brand) The change brought great results, after the switch I didn't need to test PH or EC Levels, gone were any deficiencies and colour problems. Most importantly harvest went up to around 18 to 20 oz every month. If anything I struggled only with keeping the heavy SOG single stem buds from falling over, hardly a bad problem!

Like many growers I have struggled with all that comes with indoor growing, went through years of doing my head in in regards to deficiencies, correct PH & EC levels, bugs and mould issues.

At this stage I'm not set up but looking for a stable strain before getting back into it. Any suggestions are appreciated! In the coming months I will share some things I've never seen anyone else do in the world of growing, some of which will be sure to blow a few minds!

Happy Growing, smoking, toking guys!

Regards
SOGK
Ahh mate I here ya about unstable hermie genetics. Been battling that shit for the last 2 years.
Good luck finding something stable in this day and age!!

SeaOfGreenKing

Germinating
User ID
Blast from the past , welcome sea of green king.
Cheers for the welcome Kloud9!

Hi there and welcome.

I'm extremely new to the flower and I have to be honest more than half of your post went straight over my head.
I admit that 'perpetual harvesting' has me intrigued.
I hope you explain more about it for the benefit of brand newbies like me.

The people here are lovely and so welcoming.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the welcome Green_Sick :)

Yeah from the posts I've read it appears there is an awesome community here, happy to be a part of it!

Ahh mate I here ya about unstable hermie genetics. Been battling that shit for the last 2 years.
Good luck finding something stable in this day and age!!
Thanks Porky! When I get something %100 stable I will let ya know 🤘

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Cheers for the welcome Kloud9!

Thanks for the welcome Green_Sick :)

Yeah from the posts I've read it appears there is an awesome community here, happy to be a part of it!

Thanks Porky! When I get something %100 stable I will let ya know 🤘
Mate I've said on here many times. I would happily pay $10 a seed for stable non hermie genetics every day of the week weather that be from you, Sedge, Mic or Oldfox.

Madmick

Baked
User ID
As soon as the growing season is over I'll spend some time making up a few female seeds

Got at least 5 strains that are stable and reliable to produce some quality, will depend on the skill of the grower but anybody should get be able some good smoke

Carbcon

Curing
User ID
Welcome seaofgreen.
I have admired mandala from afar for a while. Their website was always a great read.

Anything CSI I have ran grew mint.
Most Ethos stuff pretty stable imo. (I had 1 hash plant reg go hermi out of around 30 plants)
I reckon their apex be a good sea of greener. Mass medical stuff, katsu seem dead stable.

There seems to be a lot of us breeders kinda coming of age imo

They have put in a lot of work by now.

SeaOfGreenKing

Germinating
User ID
Welcome seaofgreen.
I have admired mandala from afar for a while. Their website was always a great read.

Anything CSI I have ran grew mint.
Most Ethos stuff pretty stable imo. (I had 1 hash plant reg go hermi out of around 30 plants)
I reckon their apex be a good sea of greener. Mass medical stuff, katsu seem dead stable.

There seems to be a lot of us breeders kinda coming of age imo

They have put in a lot of work by now.
Thanks for welcome and great info Carbcon!

Ethos looks the goods for sure, I will definitely give them a try... cheers for the heads up!

SeaOfGreenKing

Germinating
User ID
Welcome sogk, do you do any ScrOG grows? Less plants and just as much, if not more Buds!!
Cheers for the welcome Matsu 🤘 Tried ScrOG around 25 years ago before I tried SOG and had great results. I changed to SOG because of the way I set up my perpetual harvesting, I wanted the flexibility of moving the plants around and liked the short vegetative cycle. I also found harvesting 30 single stem buds every month averaging almost 3/4 of an oz each, gave me bigger buds and larger crops. So over a 2 month cycle I would average 45 oz from the two 400w lamps. (y)

welcome mate. looking forward to these stories.
I appreciate the welcome Ganja Kaiser! :cool:

Matsu

Vegetating
User ID
Cheers for the welcome Matsu 🤘 Tried ScrOG around 25 years ago before I tried SOG and had great results. I changed to SOG because of the way I set up my perpetual harvesting, I wanted the flexibility of moving the plants around and liked the short vegetative cycle. I also found harvesting 30 single stem buds every month averaging almost 3/4 of an oz each, gave me bigger buds and larger crops. So over a 2 month cycle I would average 45 oz from the two 400w lamps. (y)

I appreciate the welcome Ganja Kaiser! :cool:
Nearly 3 elbows every 2 months is a great result, fair enough. How do you set up to water 30 plants at once?

SeaOfGreenKing

Germinating
User ID
Nearly 3 elbows every 2 months is a great result, fair enough. How do you set up to water 30 plants at once?
Had a few tries at different water delivery methods. In the end I always went back to watering by hand, I like to be very hands on with my girls. Also that's watering 60 at a time, 30 plants were entering flowering every month, so that's 60 in the flowering stage at once. The last harvest I did I bumped these numbers to 36 in each month just to use every gap there was, that harvest was huge for the 2 month cycle of 72 plants. 55 oz

Yes the numbers are big and getting busted is simply not an option. Growing up in a gang infested drug town in NZ was a thankful lesson, it was a "Once Were Warriors" environment that taught you the way it has to be if you don't want big consequences (Including getting busted). The type of setting that if you asked the wrong person where they scored their shit from you would be shown how to keep your mouth shut promptly. From those lessons are how I don't even have getting busted in the equation. (y)
Hey SogKing, looking forward to a grow diary.
Always wanted to do a SOG grow but the numbers scare me....
Hey Dotts! 🤘

I'll put a grow diary together for sure! It will be detailed in every aspect including the perpetual harvesting.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
G'day kiwi. You might be interested in a spiel on the Ethos Seedbank website by the owner Colin. Article is on optimum plant size. He categorically states SOG is THE best way to maximise indoor yield. Example of a 1600 watt grow, using 98 plants for yield of 7.6 pounds. Equates to 2.1 gpw. Super impressive yield, but that style is not for me, while living in a prohibition State. If it was legal, it's definitely the style how I would grow. Stay one step ahead of the po-po, as your planned plant numbers are likely to make your grow an indictable offence, which carries much heavier penalties. Of course, that's only relevant if you're busted, which you won't 👍

Top Bottom