Hash Making

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Came across this in my travels... looks interesting (and messy).
I do like. I love the idea of electrostatic filtering. I filter now, but with a vibrating sieve. Might need to investigate a bit more.
BUT the cost ("From" $30K U.S. ) makes it 'commercial only' type venture, IMHO.
At 2Kg/hr o_O:eek:, if you've got enough, you could recoup your costs pretty quick and if you've got enough for that...
....I'm coming to visit 🤣

Their site also sells dry screens of differing microns for those too slack to make their own. They're fairly pricey when you can make the same thing with the frame of your neighbour's flyscreens (just don't get caught 🤣). Those screens look nylon, not silk, so they'll last for a while and they do stock a good range of micron sizes too.

Last edited:

ED-209

Vegetating
User ID
signal-2024-02-14-180819.jpeg
My effort from today. First go at bubble hash.

I started with around 350g of mid-tier bud. Had it in the freezer overnight. Went through 15kg of ice... it melted so fast on me. The biggest block is 73micron which I'm reasonably happy with. Second largest is 25micron. Third is 120 and smallest is 160.

Put in the freezer and will try sieving it onto cardboard to dry tomorrow.

ED-209

Vegetating
User ID
Today I finished up doing the third round of washing. It's taken a while in between having time and a good day for it. I've kept everything from the first two rounds in the freezer and the third wash is in there now. I've kept each fraction separate and now need to dry it properly.

I've read I have two options: sieve or microplane. I'm a bit unsure of how a sieve is going to work with frozen blobs of hash... I suppose there is enough friction to break it up but I'm not convinced. So thinking I'll microplane it. Any thoughts on that before I press ahead?

I'll lay it out to dry in some cardboard boxes and then might look at pressing it into rosin with my new press. I'm not experienced with hash - it was always a mythic thing my dad spoke of when I was young. I saw it a few times but it was before I was interested in it all. It's been fun to make so far

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Today I finished up doing the third round of washing. It's taken a while in between having time and a good day for it. I've kept everything from the first two rounds in the freezer and the third wash is in there now. I've kept each fraction separate and now need to dry it properly.

I've read I have two options: sieve or microplane. I'm a bit unsure of how a sieve is going to work with frozen blobs of hash... I suppose there is enough friction to break it up but I'm not convinced. So thinking I'll microplane it. Any thoughts on that before I press ahead?

I'll lay it out to dry in some cardboard boxes and then might look at pressing it into rosin with my new press. I'm not experienced with hash - it was always a mythic thing my dad spoke of when I was young. I saw it a few times but it was before I was interested in it all. It's been fun to make so far
A steel sieve works alright after the hash has been frozen in manageable sized chunks for a few hours. Shit thats been in the freezer for a month might be a different story, not sure if it'll even be salvageable. The sieve needs a freeze and often a re-freeze aswell. I'd found out the hard way but you need to sieve it onto baking paper then put in cardboard. Sticks like shit to cardboard.

SAW

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Last time I made bubble, I sieved after a short air dry on paper towel, just enough for the wet wetness to disappear. On to new pizza boxes. Finished up a nice coarse powder perfect for vaping, or sprinkles on top of mates cones. I hear what your saying spectrum, it’s all about temperature, and some parts of Australia have a a type of heat not conducive to working with trichomes.

ED-209

Vegetating
User ID
My initial plan was to do all three washes in a row but it just wasn't to be. I read around before I started that people put their wash into the freeze before drying - can't see a few weeks being an issue over a few hours. I can always let it thaw a bit before breaking up.

I guess I'll see how it goes. Might try both methods and see which works out best

ED-209

Vegetating
User ID
Aside from being a bit of a pain in the arse - miroplaning the frozen hash seems to work great. I probably could have spread it out more but only had one box. I think it'll be OK. We shall see! I'll leave it to dry over the next week

Smells great! This is mostly Strawberry Banana from 420 Fast Buds and a bit of Orange Bud auto from Dutch Passion.

I'm mixing in both the 25u and the 75u fractions from the three washes I did.

signal-2024-03-24-163935.jpeg

Last edited:

ED-209

Vegetating
User ID
It looks like everything is pretty dry now. I've collected it all up into a jar and shaken it up to break it up again. The only issue is, I didn't grate a few bits properly (the bits that broke off in the process). So now I have a bunch of larger pebbles among the sand.

I have some 110 mesh screen printing mesh. I thought maybe I should run it through that to separate the larger chunks and dry them a little longer to be sure there isn't any moisture in them left. But also curious on how I could break them up finer like the rest? Maybe when they are dry they will break apart more easily...

signal-2024-03-29-101304.jpeg
signal-2024-03-29-101317.jpeg

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Hey Ed, that don't look too bad of a collection at all.
Because it went through the ice process, I'm not at all surprised that some of it has bound together. The water would help it all bind together. I had some fabric that I stretched out over an old picture frame, stapling it in place. It was about the size of an A4 sheet of paper. I used an old credit card to sweep the crystals back'n'forth over the fabric.
Worked a treat.

Ps. I made a bigger version using a screen from an old flyscreen, but it was too big. Smaller much betterer. But a cutdown flyscreen frame works well, easier to secure the micron screen using the flyscreen rubber.

PPs. Just had another thought: If you had a metal flyscreen, with the finer micron fabric below, you could break up some of the bigger clumps on the flyscreen, BEFORE trying to put them through the micron fabric. The bigger chunks that won't go through the flyscreen at the top might need some encouragement with a grind up in a mortice and Pessel/coffee grinder or keep them as your own versions of THC 'Diamonds' :ROFLMAO:, just for 'personal'.

Last edited:

ED-209

Vegetating
User ID
G'day Merl1n, thanks for the ideas - that sounds exactly what I was hoping would work. Your suggestion of the flyscreen is novel and worth a shot.

The larger pieces that remain is due to the initial grating - I couldn't get it all through without taking my fingers out. So a few little bits fell loose etc. Given they are darker, think they still have moisture in them. But running them over flyscreen should hopefully break them up and be dry enough to pass through the mesh. I'll give it a crack tomorrow and report back 🌿 🖖 🙏

Merl1n

Blooming
User ID
Now, if you're really lazy (like me) You could make up something a bit more mechanical/'Mcgyver'ish :unsure: ;)

I had a knackered airpump, the baffle had dried out and cracked, I removed the baffle, drilled a hole in the side of the pump, connecting a bolt to the baffle arm, up thru the housing. The mrs 'had' a metal tea strainer (I stole it). I drilled a hole in the strainer handle and connected it to the bolt, making me an electric vibrating sieve. I could then add the crystals a teaspoon at a time. This little devise also removed any fine hairs/fluff/green from the bulk crystals. (y) (Apologies the pic's a bit fuzzy, but you get the idea). The shaking motion meant I also needed to secure the bottom of the handle of the strainer, so straighted out a wire paperclip, heated the ends up with a lighter and melted them into the plastic housing (nice and secure) and at the front of the strainer is a loose bolt'n'nut. This looseness means it rattles, increasing the strength of the vibration. It's not really shown in the pic too well, but it the bottom of the air pump is a strip of wood, it extends a few inches past the plastic housing of the airpump and the yellow bits you can just see at the edge of that image are the jaws of a clamp, clamping it to the surface, otherwise the pump walks off the table.
That last pic is my setup making the hash pucks;)

Hash 7811 (5).JPGHash 7811 (3).JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom